And another . . . .

Posted
Rating:
#221682 (In Topic #12090)
As mentioned in my 'Yet another building' thread I plan to start on another scratch-build edifice. This time it's a strange building at the end of London Bridge Road that leads down from the station forecourt to Borough High Street and is in front of New London Bridge House skyscraper. I say strange as I understand it is something to do with the London Underground station below the area - note the ventilation grills at the front and higher level on the left hand side.

The above photo I took around 7 years ago and is all I basically have as it has now been knocked down as part of the area's development (destruction?). Therefore I need to make it from just that pic unless anyone can provide further information/photos. The plan is to use a mix of card and brick embossed plastic sheet.

Z.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Good luck with this project Zodiac. I can see a lot planning and much gnashing of teeth going on with this, well in my case it would. Look forward to seeing how things progress.

Always try to look on the bright side of life!

Barney

Posted
Rating:
Thanks. Hopefully there won't be too much teeth gnashing - I had an extraction yesterday to allow room for a wisdom tooth to come through - yes, at my age - and my mouth is feeling rather tender and sore.

I've started by sketching a character drawing (to model scale size) to get an idea of what's required. You'll notice I've already left out one column of windows in order to simplify and allow a little compression. Most of the other buildings I've made, although based on real ones, are compressed a little but hopefully still capture the look and character.

Z.

Posted
Rating:
The first construction stage was to build the framework. I cut three identical floors from card (1.5mm mount board) and internal space walls to hold them apart. These were glued in place ensuring the outside edges line up to enable the outside walls to be hung on:

Under the bottom floor is some 2mm styrene strip to allow the walls to pass down below the pavement and accommodate the slight slope.

Z.

Posted
Rating:
Next is to cut the brick walls from embossed plasticard and then decorate them with styrene strip to represent cornices, pillars, sills and so on. They will need to be completed, including painting and glazing, before attaching to the framework, as once glued in place there will be no access from behind:

Z.

Posted
Rating:
Obviously still a fair amount of detailing to add but I often check fit and look to ensure the overall effect is what I'm hoping to achieve. Here are the plasticard walls just placed in position (not fixed/glued):

Z.

Posted
Rating:
Slowly, slowly, catch your monkey, cut little bits of card and plastic, and glue them in place;

Z

Posted
Rating:
Zodiac
If you know the address the London Bridge Road Redevelopment project took a lot of before photos. Have they been able to help?
Andrew

Posted
Rating:
Things are coming along nicely Zodiac. Where do you get the doors and windows from?

Always try to look on the bright side of life!

Barney

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for the feedback.

I didn't realise there was a group for the redevelopment of London Bridge Road (I knew there was one for the Station) but I've not been able to find anything out about them. I have scoured the internet but have found very few photos of London Bridge station and locality in the 70s, 80s and 90s. Probably being a pre-digital photography era it's not as well photographed and posted on-line.

The doors are a few I found in my spares box (possibly Dornaplas) that happened to fit, while the door frames and window surrounds are scratch-build from styrene. The window frames and glazing are yet to be made and added but will probably be cut from white self adhesive label on clear acrylic sheet.

I've now added the architectural details for the main walls . . . . .

and have given the model a coat of grey primer ready for painting and glazing . . . . .

The roof details have been made up as I've no reference material for it. The next structural thing to consider making is the most unusual aspect of the building - the colonnaded ground floor frontage with huge ventilation grilles.

Z.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
And so another masterclass.

Model making supreme.

Allan.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for the compliment Allan. You are, of course, the real model building master that we all take inspiration from. But there is one big difference, while you tend to work in 4mm and 7mm, all my efforts are tiny by comparison at 1:148 scale - N gauge.

I've managed to make a start on the colonnaded section as pictured below although it's not complete. I've also yet to decide how I'm going to make the large ventilation grilles (there's two between the columns on the ground floor and two in the rear wall upper floors not shown in the pic).

I'm holding the (front) wall section in place as until it is painted and glazed I can't fix it in position. But overall it's coming along relatively well. But it'll probably need a bit of tidying up some areas with filler and so on before painting.

Z.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
It's at least as impressive, being in N scale.   :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Many thanks for the encouragement.

I was out all day yesterday so not much done, but I've made a few changes - set the doors further back and smoothed the front ground/pavement slope - and have started to get some basic blocks of colour on. Once the painting is complete (and sealed with matt varnish) I'll be able to make and glaze the windows. I've also still to sort out the ventilation grilles and have been searching around for something suitable, plus there's the pitched roof tiling (I'll use Redutex) to be done.

Z.

Posted
Rating:
I've knocked up a couple of grilles to fit from Evergreen siding and strip: 

They stand a little proud, but bearing in mind their size and that it's not a fully accurate representation, I think they'll do:

Z.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
That's exactly how I would have done it Z but didn't suggest it as I didn't know the size of the openings.

I use that method also for engine shed slatted roof vents.

Allan

Last edit: by allan downes

Posted
Rating:
I was out all day yesterday (oddly enough in Croydon and catching the tram along that very line/place where the accident happened this morning) so not much modelling done. However, I have now got all the main blocks of colour on:

Next is to start toning it down, blending and weathering it, and making it look more realistic and less like a brightly painted toy. Then I can glaze it and glue it all together.

Z.

Posted
Rating:
It's getting near to completion - well, at least as much as I'm going to do on it currently before it is used on a layout. Plus I'm waiting for delivery of the Redutec tiling I had to order when I found I had insufficient  left.

Z.

Posted
Rating:
And all in 4 days, including time off !!!   :shock: :shock: :shock:

If I allow you a whole week, will you build something similar for me in "OO" please Z.

It looks extremely impressive - great modelling and more so considering you only had that single photo to work from.  :pathead :pathead

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
If I allow you a whole week, will you build something similar for me in "OO" please

OO eh? A bit big that - I'm short sighted not long sighted. And with twice as much cutting it'll probably take more than twice as long and show up all my wobbly straight lines :lol:. But thanks for the compliments.

I'm wondering about doing some more work on the powerbox (below) or starting on the modern building that New London Bridge House sat over.

Z.

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.