Electrics D C

Posted
Rating:

Using either 9 volt or 12 volt plug in adaptor

Hi Ron. Thank you for your reply. I do own a multi meter, but I don't know how to test Positive and Negative.I have on used it to see if the track was live, or just dirty? But then I purchased one of those lamps that " sit on the track" which does a better job.  All the best. Kevin

Last edit: by Passed Driver

Staying on the thread Kevin.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

Strip the ends and connect the wires, if nothing lights up, swap the leads over. You won't damage the LED if the polarity is wrong, they will only light up with the positive wire to the anode pole (or in your case I suspect a positive lead).

Ron's right, a multi-meter is an essential piece of kit in this hobby. One of those cases where it pays to read the instructions. And where once you start using it you will wonder how you ever managed without it. The second essential IMO is a basic "12V" DC power pack. 

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel. Thank you ,but I was being cautious (maybe too cautious ) and I want to go against the suppliers instructions. I will try that, I was reading the leaflet that came with the multimeter ,but, I didn't know what I was looking for. Regarding the "Wall Wart" that is a new term, to me, I have a choice of two, one 9 volt and one 12 volt.                  all the best. Kevin

Last edit: by Passed Driver

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

What's on the end of the transformer leads - a circular jack? If so there are female coaxial adapters for these that end in bare wires. They're called "bare lead pigtail female adapters", and cost about $0.50 each. Amazon UK has them, 10 for £6.00. Check the diameter and length. 2.1 x 5.5mm is usual. I use them all the time (male-female) for wiring locomotives where I need to disconnect and reconnect circuits. Good for 2A or so.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel.       Thank you for your reply. For a start the plug is a "right angle" type, 10 mm long x 2.5 mm. Somewhat different from your illustration. But if I am going to cut it off it don't really matter.  all the best. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

They must be HD. Sounds like laptop/PC or printer transformers. Have you had a look at the output?

Nigel

Edit 1. Had a look at one of my 2A 12v transformers. It has a 2.5 x 10mm male coaxial, and I use a corresponding female bare lead socket. Saves chopping off that plug (yio never know…), and the socket conveniently has color-coded leads (which I checked with the meter- this is from China and no underwriters mark, so caveat emptor applies). Ignore the prongs - they're North American. The symbol above "Made in China" tells you what the polarity is. In this case the anode is in the center.

Useful adapters to have around. I got 5 off eebuygum for less than $10.00. I use much smaller ones in locomotives (as used for Li-Po battery connections).

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Sol Thank you for your post multimeter, Index information much needed, Use hobby only.
Best of luck from a wet cold 6c South Wales U.K.

Noviceman

Dave D.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel.  Thank you. That was exactly my idea, but, when I took the "Wall Wart" with me to Maplin, I showed it to the assistant and said what I needed to do. Which was buy a matching socket. That is when I got "Blank Faces and Gobbledygook ". That is when I realised that He was "not going to play ball". And came away empty handed.all the best. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

I would suggest getting a 5.5mm diameter jack 12V DC transformer and the following:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=DC+Female+5.5mmx2.1mm+Power+Jack+Adapter+Plug+Pigtail+Cable

10 for £4.95. Or this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005CMP434/ref=pd_sim_201_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=33H0NAK1JXSFZ81N06CS

10 for £4.78

This connector is for 12v DC CCT equipment, no soldering required.

If you have a 10mm diameter jack it could be old. a new one would be £5 or so.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel.   Thank you again, I thought that I was going cot of the plug and then test "Which way round " the connections had to go" and then use a terminal block/strip. all the best. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin

Goforit!

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.