Steves 3D printing workbench (81F aka 81E on other forums)

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member

Models I make using 3D printing

Allan, perhaps this video will help, she prettier than me anyway…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0rYO5YI7kA

Q

Now I've finally started a model railway…I've inherited another…
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Thanks Q
Unbelievable but my old worn out brain just couldn't handle it !

Allan

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Another method is called SLS (selective laser sintering) and this can be either plastics or metals.
This method fuses a thin layer of powder using a laser, the 3D part is built up in successive layers. Accuracy is around +/- 0.1 mm on dimensions, the smallest detail around 0.5mm.
You will need some method of creating a computer model of what you want to print.
I've used the process to produce nylon parts at work,with great success, but haven't yet tried it for model purposes.
I can post the companies I've used if anyone is interested?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
81F
Hello Allan,

Sorry for not getting back but the other half has kept me busy with DIY around the House!

I think the others have explained the process but in simple terms you create a 3D virtual model on a computer aided design package and send it off to a 3D printer. I do not own a 3D printer myself so I use a firm called Shapeways.

The 3d models themselves are built up from cubes, cylinders cones etc. which are stretched and combined to shape whatever I am after. These shapes can also be subtracted from a model to make holes and hollows.

Unfortunately there are limitations. Some materials do not print finely enough or have a rough surface particularly the sintered varieties, but others can be almost as good as die casting, but these come at a price and fine components can be fragile.

So far I've not had much luck with buffers, while I can get them printed the heads trend to snap off unless I make them overscale so I tend to buy commercial castings or turnings.

Also it is good if you want several identical objects since you can just order multiple prints

Modelling the GWR in the Welsh Borders, and the Glyn Valley Tramway with quite a few bits from elsewhere!

Posted
Rating:
81F

One of my latest creations  - a GWR Cordon after some fettling (to get the tanks cylindrical, painting and a few bits of wire and Markits buffers and brake stanchion.

Last edit: by 81F

Modelling the GWR in the Welsh Borders, and the Glyn Valley Tramway with quite a few bits from elsewhere!

Posted
Rating:
81F
My latest 3D print project sent for a test print is a 6 wheeled GWR Tadpole - computer generated preview below

Posted
Rating:
81F

The finished model just awaiting transfers. Future projects will be the version with the Guard accommodation and possibly a couple of Bogie versions

Posted
Rating:
81F

My latest project is the Collet 8 wheeled tender chassis. The photo is of my second test print in WSF plastic which is quite granny but good enough to make sure the thing will fit to the Hornby (ex Dapol) tender body. Just realized that the springs are not quite right and the brackets between each set of wheels should be single and offset so have made some changes to the 3D computer model and ordered another test print.

Once I have perfected it I will probably print in a much higher definition plastic and possibly offer it for sale.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
That's the beauty of 3D, Steve.  You can keep on tweaking it.   :cool:

Posted
Rating:
Hi Steve,
Most interesting work, I like it!
May I ask, please?
Do you have a link to your (Shapeways?) shop?
Many thanks,
John.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Awesome work. Well done

Evan

Posted
Rating:
i like the Cordon!
Are shapeways still hideously expensive?

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Hi Guys I think you will find Stephen offers his products under Stafford Road Model Works ?   at Shapeways
you will find his link in the 3D printing useful links thread, in the 3D forum area   HERE     ;-)

( Hope thats the right one Stephen !  :thumbs )

Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Thank you Matt.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
81F
Thanks everyone for the interest and even more Thanks those answering the questions in my absence, particularly the reply about "D printing since I just upload the 3D computer model to Shapeways and the model comes back to me in the post!

Posted
Rating:
81F

Other things I have been working on is an oil tank for the Hornby 2284 or 28XX 2-8-0 to convert it to an oil burner (above) and at https://www.shapeways.com/product/JVD7QQHSF/gwr-28xx-2884-tank-for-oil-burning-tender?optionId=68436463 this simply drops into the coalspace in the tender (please note the link only goes to one part of the kit.

Posted
Rating:
81F

The finished 8 wheeled tender Chassis

Posted
Rating:
81F

00 GWR N34 Steel Bodied 21t Loco Coal Wagon body for the DAPOL 21T hopper chassis

A GWR Siphon J

Posted
Rating:
81F

and in 009 a revised freelance sentinel loco body hit for the KATO 11-103 Chassis

Posted
Rating:
81F

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.