Johns 7mm Coach Workbench

Posted
Rating:
Well, here's a job I'm glad to see the back of, luggage racks.

Each one has four 2 piece struts.  A 10mm length of 0.45mm NS wire was soldered under a length of 0.032" brass wire.  When all 80 (!) were done, 0.032" wire was soldered to them to form the luggage rack frames.  There are enough for my 7 compt 3rd and 3 compt 3rd brake.

I did use jigs to get everything looking the same.

Next task is to make the netting.  For that I have a frying pan fat catcher to cut up.

John

John

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
80!  OMG!   :shock:

A kindred spirit.   :lol:

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
John, you never cease to amaze me. Masochistic  modelling I would say !

Allan

Posted
Rating:
Well I never cease to amaze me.  I've always wanted to fit luggage racks and in this scale it's actually feasible.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Rob asked for a close up view of the racks:

Hope this helps.  Anyone emulating this should get the strut spacing better than me.  The rack on the left is from the back and you can just see the 2mm or so of 0.45mm NS that I left to insert into the partition.  The rack on the right is from the front.  Not easy to see but the struts hook upward.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Thanks John,
I am most impressed.

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
So, the last couple of days were spent putting everything together on the interior:

I'm not over the moon.  The mesh on the luggage racks is somewhat ratty.  The racks themselves were a devil to install in the partion and, in general it's not as crisp as I would like.

I shot off an email to Paul Bambrick at CPL (CPL PRODUCTS) inquiring about the interiors he talks about.  If I can get some more credible parts I will redo this.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
You certainly set yourself some high standards, John. If I could produce something anywhere near half as good as that I'd be over the moon and telling the World about it  - yet you're going to redo it !

Amazing.

Allan

Posted
Rating:
Superb work John, even more so, as external sight lines preludes one from seeing above the racks! Will you be adding lighting? The interiors will look even more spectacular then, particularly if some passengers and their luggage are added.

You're far too hard on yourself in setting such high standards, but I understand that we all want to achieve ever greater things.

A huge well done that man!

Best,

Bill

:thumbs

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Thanks guys.  You are right but, as you say, I set high standards.  I've been telling myself not to fuss and that the interior is supposed to be impressionistic.  Still, my gut says it could be better. 

What I have is not dire and I'll leave it be until I see what CPL can offer.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
The way I remember railway carriages, John, is that either you couldn't see out of them due to fogged up windows or couldn't see in side them due to smoke and cinders obliberating not just the windows but consuming the whole carriage as well  - even when stationary !

Allan

Posted
Rating:
Ha ha Allan, so true.  To answer Bills' question, I don't plan to add lighting.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Hi John,
You are setting the bar really high,  especially if you plan to go back and make changes to what looks to me to be a superb job in the first place!

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Rob, I had two major issues.

1)  I pre-drilled the partitions using a template that I also used for setting the strut spacing.  When I went to fit the assembled racks, I found the holes weren't right and spent a lot of time agonising the holes in the partition to get everything in.  Quite a mess.

I would solder the struts to a piece of brass strip and just glue it to the partition next time.

2)  The other issue was in the choice of mesh material.  The steel mesh I used is really too coarse and I couldn't clean it up because the CA won't tolerate filing.

I would look for some fine brass mesh next time.  Perhaps this is in the CPL kit.

I'm waiting for confirmation of the kits.

Otherwise, I'm happy with everything else.  I actually did a trial fit into the coach and it does all look quite good.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Hi John,
Your problems are part of the reason that I will make my first attempt in styrene. The second reason is that I plan to have a go at cutting my mesh from 10 thou styrene sheet with the Cameo.

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
Yes and part of my problem is that I have a good plan and am looking for a perfect one.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
[user=565]Brossard[/user] wrote:
Yes and part of my problem is that I have a good plan and am looking for a perfect one.

John
I like your thinking!

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
John, I think you'll find that Scalelink do a super fine brass etched mesh that might suit your purposes.

Allan

Posted
Rating:
I'm sure others do the mesh I need Allan.  It's one of those learning curve things.  I need to see what's in the CPL kit before I do anything though.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Today was rather good postie wise:

I got my passengers:

Cast resin I think, all different poses.  A bit dear.  Now I have to research the in fashions for 1962.

Also, I received my JLTRT Mk 1 CCT kit:

The main parts are resin with bags containing lost wax and whitemetal bits.

The other coach kit in the queue is Slaters SR PLV/GUV:

Ends provided to do either the PLV or GUV.  I sent off for a screw link coupling and springing unit.

I have in mind to make up a parcels train with these two vehicles plus the Gresley BG.

John

Last edit: by Brossard

John

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.