Johns 7mm Coach Workbench

Posted
Rating:
It's taken a fair while to get the construction of the van done:

The first obvious thing is that the ends are now black.  This is typical of BR crimson/red stock.

I got the steps installed and evidently not perfectly.  I'll go back and see if I can't tweak them.

Ironmongery is installed with commode handles, lever handles and T handles on the doors.  I chemically blackened these and then, after installation polished the used surfaces.

Chalk plates are done in grimy black.

Note the vacuum pipe is attached to a strut.  I used black tack to stick the connector in the socket.

The steam pipe (for which there was no hose in the kit) is attached by a chain (made by twisting wire strand) to a small hook that I made.

The final task this evening was to spray with gloss varnish to give transfers something to stick to.

These are on order from Cambridge Custom Transfers.

John

John

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi John,

Eyeballs - Rotring pens ($$$) or similar drafting pens for the iris (blue, brown, green). Come on different diameters. Then go in again with a needle for the pupil (black). Have the eyes facing the direction of the hands. Not easy in 4mm, not that difficult in 7mm. Check out the military modelers, it's where I picked up the above.Getting the white correct is the difficult bit. rather than try and limit where the white goes, over-paint onto the brow, nose and cheeks, go in afterwards with flesh.

Somebody has eyeball decals, found it, Archer, they do a sheet suitable for 1/32-1/35 (AR990001). Just needs the white painted in. Something you could easily do yourself on the printer. Fiddly to apply I suspect, an eye loupe would probably come in handy.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Yes I'm sure all doable.  I'll leave the figures I've done alone.  I have some ModelU figures on the way, perhaps more development there.  The eyes are REALLY small even in 7mm.  Other methods I've seen, like those in the MRJ article I mentioned use shading more than specific eye details.

I did actually start the way you say by painting a swath of white over the face and painting the flesh colour outwards.  My big error was using neat flesh paint - I ought to have thinned it so as not to fill in the crevices.  I'm thinking that Humbrol enamel might be a better way to go.

John

Last edit: by Brossard

John

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Hi, Max.

Eyeballs and eyebrows apart, I  thought you might be interested in these people who make absolutely brilliant lamps and, in comparison, right on your doorstep (if you can call a trip across the outback and back again as being on your doorstep )  and, in comparison, you probably knew about them before I did !

Anyway…

DCC concepts australia.

+6189437247*Sales@DCCconcepts.com

Allan

Last edit: by allan downes

Posted
Rating:
Allan, those lamps are very good…and very expensive too.  I actually asked Richard once whether he would sell the lamps by themselves without the DCC stuff - he said no.

That said, Gaugemaster do the very same lamps under their own brand for quite a bit less.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, guys.  Yes.  I have seen them.

I only deal with Richard as a last resort.

Posted
Rating:
I got the transfers done using Cambridge Custom Transfers Sheet BL97:

The transfers are very good and I am pleased with the results.  I sprayed a coat of Dullcote to tone down the gloss.

Glazing next.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Following along John, it looks brilliant and it's not even finished.

Must say the detail in 7mm is quite stunning  :thumbs

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
The only thing wrong with it that I can see, John, is that it's sitting on the wrong tracks when it should be sitting on mine !

Allan

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Ed, one of the reasons I switched was for the detail.  That said, in 4mm you can do a lot with wire.

Dream on Allan!   :cheers

John

John

Posted
Rating:
I was pleasantly surprised to find an envelope from CPL in my mailbox today.  Surprised because I had been talking to Paul on and off by email about interior parts for my coaches but we hadn't finalized things I thought and I haven't sent any money.  I sent an email to Paul about payment.

Here are the parts:

There are ten etched partition overlays.  GWR pattern but I shall use them I think.  There are also parts for luggage racks with fine mesh that isn't in the picture.  Oval mirrors and sepia prints.  The strips are window straps.

Nice stuff indeed.

John 

John

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
There'll be no stopping you now, John !

Allan

Posted
Rating:
Such a long to do list, I need to buckle down and get things ticked off.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
I got the glazing and bars in.  So many opportunities for things to go pear shaped.  The windows were no bother really, I used canopy glue.  It looks like PVA but dries kind of rubbery and, of course, clear.

The bars were another story.  I initially used canopy glue but it wicked between the bars and glass making an unsightly mess.  Out they came.  After refreshing the paint which had chipped with all the abuse I did them again but used black tack to stick them in.  This is similar to blue tak but much stronger.

Roof went on without too much trouble.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I'll pay for the post and packaging, John !

Allan.

Posted
Rating:
It would take quite a bit more than that to part me from it Allan…a lot more.   :It's a no no

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Oh well. I'll build my own.

Now where's  that  cornflakes packet….

Allan

Posted
Rating:
There you go Allan, far more satisfying to build than to buy, as well you know. :cheers  You know, I always say (and others do as well) that a kit is merely an aid to scratchbuilding.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Hi John,
Where do you find the price list on the CPL site - or am I just being blind/daft?

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
You're not blind or daft, I couldn't see a comprehensive list either, although many of the items shown in the Temporary Catalogue have prices.   Paul just sent me the stuff I asked for.  He since sent me an email with the price which works out to  2.75 per compartment, not bad at all.

John

John

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.