Johns 7mm Coach Workbench

Posted
Rating:
#221253 (In Topic #12068)
My vision for the layout is a branch, really can't fit anything larger in the space I have.  It is based on the club layout branchline:

Passenger traffic will be a two coach train with some parcels in a full brake.  Later on I may expand this - Heljan have announced an extensive range of various 1, 2 and 3 coach DMUs.

I got myself three coach parts packs of Ian Kirk Gresley 52' 6" corridors.  There's a 7 compartment 3rd, 3 compartment brake 3rd and a full brake.

You can see the range of parts packs here:

http://www.iankirkmodels.co.uk/

I got my packs and parts from:

http://www.invertrain.com/

I'll start with the 7 compt. coach.

When one thinks of a kit, it is common to expect them to be more or less complete.  Not so here.  You get most of the major parts for the coach but not the details and fittings.

So, what is in the parts pack?

Sides are modular - I'm told the 4mm kits are similar.  You can see the bogie components.

Interior parts.

Underframe parts.

I kitted the model out by buying the details:

You can see the wheels at top right.  Below them are working gangways.  CW are cast resin seats, tee handles for the doors, clipped buffers, vacuum and steam pipes, a pair of screw link couplings and roof vents.

Not shown is the Isinglass drawing.  This drawing contains a lot of information that will help with assembly and finishing.

More to come.

John

Last edit: by Brossard

John

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I made a start on the bogies:

Bearings are installed and one side stuck on.  The thing that struck me was the lack of detail.  I put the question to that other well known forum and I was rewarded with a couple of pictures of a bogie sitting in a yard - useful information there.  Additionally, I was given a lead to Kemilway (Kemilway - Kemilway Coaches, Underframes and Bogies ) who are kind enough to publish their instruction pamphlets on the site.  I've downloaded pamphlets for bogies, underframes and interior.  This info will permit me to fabricate parts to add to these basic bogies.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
I've been working away on the bogies.  The parts that come with the "kit" are very vague.  I took a look at the Kemilway instructions and these are very detailed with excellent drawings.  I decided to have a go at fabricating some of the details to try to get a better representation of the brake gear and suspension.

I have now joined the bogies as you can see.  I needed to add a 0.020" shim (which just be made out as a white line) in order for the wheels to seat in their bearings comfortably.

I removed the material between the wheels, mostly because I couldn't get the wheels in otherwise, but this is more realistic.  I added some framing that will support the brake hangers.

I made some boxes containing coil springs (4BA screws) that will fit in the center of the bogie.

I cobbled some brake shoes from plastic strip - actually I made 3 coaches worth, there are 16 per coach.  I've installed these on one side.

You can see the brake yokes which are used to pull on the brakes to apply them.  0.032" brass rod, 1mm PB strip.

Finally, the 8 shoes that will be fitted when I'm ready to install the yokes.

It's all madness of course, but will be interesting to see what I can do.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
As long as you are having fun. That's all that counts.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Todays work was to put the bogies together and complete the construction.  What started out as a simple desire to enhance the somewhat basic Kirk bogies got a little out of hand as I discovered more and more detail on the Kemilway instructions:

On the right is a bottom view, the left is from the top.

In the right view, the yokes are linked together to an actuating arm.  You can also see the safety loops.  I used 0.032" PB wire for these.  PB is softer than brass and is easier to work.  I've added the bolster coil spring assembly at the center of the bogies

In the left view there's a diamond shaped yoke linking the inner and outer actuating arms.  I've built up a bolster from plastic card.  I CA'ed a brass washer to the top of the bolster.

As Marty says, it's all good fun.  I also learned a heck of a lot.

Having studied the Kemilway instructions, I'm inclined to get a set of bogies at some point.  I'll see how I get on with these first.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
They look very good, John. 

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Max, paint shop next I think.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
It seems that before I can cut out the floor to size I need to assemble the body to get precise dimensions.  Therefore I have begun to prepare the sides:

Each panel and door is a separate piece.  I've chiselled off the moulded door handles and drilled 0.020" in preparation for brass tee handle installation later.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Having painted the bogies I discovered that I had forgotten the steps.  The parts are not in the kit and the Isinglass dwg does show them but they're not obvious:

I made the steps from 5mm brass strip, soldering 0.45mm NS wire to the backs.

The dwg. shows the short steps only on the compartment side.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Bogies have been painted black now.

The lads on RMWeb recommend a jig to ensure that coach side modules go together straight and square, so I made one:

Nothing fancy and my woodworking skills won't save my life.  I used machine cut birch ply so I'm pretty sure the edges are true.

John

Last edit: by Brossard

John

Posted
Rating:
I decided to get back to my coach kit since things are a bit slow.

I used my jig to assemble the sides:

Things came out straight and square so happy with that.  Note the door hinges made from 2.5mm long 0.20" strip.  The bottom hinges are doubled to allow for the tumblehome.

Reverse side reinforced with 1.5mm thick plastic:

On the corridor side there will be a handrail.  I made brackets from 0.40" x 0.080" x 3mm strip:

These have been drilled for 0.032" (~0.85mm).

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Assembled the sides to the ends.  Starting to look like a coach now.  All this just so I can measure up the underframe floor precisely.

Corridor side.

Compartment side.

Some more detail on hinges.  I doubled up the 0.020" strip on the upper and middle hinges and trebled on the lower.  Once the plastic was hard, I sanded them so that a straight edge lies on them vertically.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Terrific workmanship as usual there John and I dread to think what it would look like if I was building it !

Inspirational.

Allan.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Allan.  I'm sure you would be fine, it's just a matter of modelling what you can observe.  I'm always looking for ways to improve myself.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
[user=565]Brossard[/user] wrote:
  I'm always looking for ways to improve myself "

John
So am I John, but at 81 it's a losing battle  :cry:

Allan

Posted
Rating:
You're obviously still getting out of bed in the morning so the battle is far from lost.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I used to leap out - well kinda - but now it's check to see if I've still got a pulse then leap out one limb at a time.

Allan

Posted
Rating:
I've never leapt out of bed, but the rest sounds about right.   :cheers

John

John

Posted
Rating:
I have no problem waking up (full of the joys of
spring) and rolling out of bed.
The problem is getting up off the floor afterwards!:roll:

Jeff

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
You lot sound like an old farts convention. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.