Johns 7mm Layout

Posted
Rating:
I'm trying to think ahead to what I believe I'll need for the layout.  Today, I received some station parts:

In the orange packs are GE station seats, 3 per pack.  In the yellow packs are GE platform lamps, 3 per pack.  I got these from Kemilway - Kemilway - Kemilway Coaches, Underframes and Bogies

John

John

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Now that's more up my street, John though I'd throw away the frets !!

I got six plastic ground signals from Ratio in kit form and six white metal ground signals from Dart Castings. also in kit form.

I assembled one of each and the rest are now in the wheely bin because I ballsed up the first two and couldn't see the point in ballsing up  the other ten. 

Allan

Posted
Rating:
Ha ha, well I do get on with brass.  I also tried the Ratio signals in years past (many, many, many…to paraphrase Minnie Crun) but the plastic columns aren't strong enough to withstand the forces of signal arm actuation, at least that's what I remember.  I think I have a couple of 4mm MSE LMS home signals in brass.

Shame about the ground signals.  Surely they didn't require anything special, just glue. :hmm  I bought some ground signals from Rob, assembled and painted.  :Happy

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Has Rob got any more, John ? I need six.

Thanks.

Allan

Posted
Rating:
I dunno, why not send him a PM?   :mutley

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Hi Alan,
Sadly I haven't, John had all of them.

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
I thought I'd post and update of layout activity.  Despite my predilection for kit building, layout planning has been going on.

Following discussion with a friend of mine (who does 4mm but who I'm gradually converting to the joys of 7mm.), he came up with the idea of a fishhook shaped layout:

The boards highlighted are in the process of being built.  The dotted green line is allowance for my ample girth.  The ends and sides require precise angle cutting which is beyond me.  In fact the required ends have been cut from Russian ply and I have installed machinists dowels in them.

Next big job is to buy and cut the tops.  For this we will use 3/8" good both sides ply.

The top of the picture is 20' long and the alcove is 11'.

The basement currently looks as though a bomb has gone off:

The curved modules have been partly disassembled.  The lower ones to the right were made earlier and I've screwed on a fascia to the 9" insert that can be seen in the drawing.  The higher modules to the left have had blue foam added to build up the width to around 2'.  The foam has been shaped and I will insert 3/4" x 3/4" blocks in order to screw the 1/8" MDF fascia strips.

I built an additional 6" insert that is not shown in the drawing but can be seen to the right of the high module with a fascia piece fitted.  This fits at the middle of the curve in an attempt to optimize the layout radius.  The track radius should be around 5' which is comfortable for 0 gauge (4' being minimum).

John

John

Posted
Rating:
I am certainly envious of your space John. 
The hook shape will certainly make the most of it.

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
Yes, but still not enough - it never is :roll:.  Yes, certainly a unique shape.  It will allow real estate for branch terminus infrastructure without too much of a cram.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
That's an elegant idea, John.   :thumbs

My motto with regard to room/space is, "nimium numquam satis est."    (Too much is never enough).  In my 1:48 empire, that is very appropriate.   :lol:

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Almost my motto, Max 

"Room enough is never enough "

Allan

Posted
Rating:
I finally got the boards done.   :chicken

I added 1/8" MDF to the sides.

I used spackle to smooth out the foam additions and some green rattle can paint on the fascias.

I can put it all back together now.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Right so I've had sweep up and had the vac on.  Boards have been put back into position:

Quite happy about this.  The outside radius of the curve is ~ 5' 6" (the alcove is 11' wide) giving me something like 4' 6" for track radius.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
 John, why is one base board lower than the others ?

I have to know these things you see in case it's something that I can tell everybody I invented.

Allan

Posted
Rating:
Well spotted Allan.   :doublethumbMy idea is to do an embankment with some scenic features on the lower level.  Makes a change from everything being at the same level. :cheers  The difference in level is 7".

John

John

Posted
Rating:
[user=565]Brossard[/user] wrote:
I thought I'd post and update of layout activity.  Despite my predilection for kit building, layout planning has been going on.

The basement currently looks as though a bomb has gone off:

John

You have a window in your basement? I've only bats and dusty wine bottles in mine! I suppose I could run an underground railway though.

Very neat baseboards John and refreshing to see all those curves. Looking forward to your scenics.

Bon courage,

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Bill, I bought the house (oh so many years ago now) with the basement finished, it is quite comfortable and full height.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Hi John,

I've been in construction all my professional life and seen many basements in the USA and Canada with windows, some high level ones and often on sloping sites, but seldom in the UK and never here in France, where it's the reserve of wine and mushrooms Sorry, it's just my sense of humour (and sometimes sense of the ridiculous) and my tongue was firmly in my cheek! 

Well done also on such a tidy work space!

Best,

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
My friend and I bought two sheets of 3/8" 8' x 4' plywood today (had to rent a van from the DIY store to get them home).  We spent a couple of hours in the driveway making the angular cuts to enable the boards to be assembled IAW the plan above.

The first two boards are 4' long, tapering from 18" on the right to about 4' on the left.  There's a 4th short board to be done yet.

Progress!

John

Last edit: by Brossard

John

Posted
Rating:
I like the fishhook arrangement John. Something different.
cheers

Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.