Computer Software

Posted
Rating:
#221016 (In Topic #12051)

Parking Space?? for Links

Hi All  I am a complete Novice or whatever on computers, and when either a member sends me a "Link" that would help me in building my model railway, or by chance I stumble upon a link, I was thinking ?? that it would be nice if there was a "Parking Space" for useful links, of course there may already be one and I just don't know about it.all the best  Kevin

Staying on the thread Kevin.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi Kevin

There are links spread throughout the Index . . .

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_forum.php?id=46

Cheers

Posted
Rating:
Or for personal use add the link to your 'favourites' on your browser.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Max.   Thank you for your reply, I must have overlooked that.    All the best.  Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Shaun.    That really is new, as I said I am a complete novice where do I find " Favouries" on my browser??all the best.  Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

Adding a website to your favourites list is easy, although the method may vary depending on your browser choice.

I use Internet Explorer without any difficulty with this forum and to add a website to my favourites list, I simply left click on the yellow star with a green arrow icon near the top left of the screen (if you hover the curser over it, you get the friendly message 'Add to Favourites bar'), when I have the website to add on the screen.

If you use a different browser such as Firefox for example, just let us know and I'm sure someone will come along and help you.

Best wishes,

Bill 

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Firefox and Edge, just click the Star icon towards the top right of the toolbar.

To then access the link:

Firefox click the button next to the Star, which say 'Show Bookmarks'

Edge click the button with 3 bars next to the Star 'Favourites & History'

I don't and won't use Google Chrome so no idea on that, but would be something similar.

Last edit: by Campaman

Cheers

Andy

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill.   Thank you for your reply,  I did click something or other on Microsoft ? on my laptop and the Firefox appeared, but I wasn't sure what to do next. I have become too familiar with my iPad , any advice will be gratefully received.   all th best.  Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Andy.  Thank you very much for your reply. My iPad is too close to my armchair. And I have neglected my laptop.I was on it and I somehow I found the Firefox symbol? Next to the one that I was using, but then I was stuck, not knowing what to do next.
Any advice will be well ,gratefully accepted. all the best. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
The boss lets us maintain a page of useful Train links as recommended by customers at Model Railway Portal by TECH 2U Internet Services.
Happy to add any that members recommend when we do the monthly updates. Just forward them to trains@tech2u.com.au
Andrew

Posted
Rating:
Hi Andrew.  Thank you and the Boss for your reply, But, when I clicked on it(whatever you call it) it could not be found.  All the best.  Kevin

Posted
Rating:

Cheers

Andy

Posted
Rating:
Hi Andy.  Thank your reply, I have always admitted that I was a "Thicko" where computers are concerned.I did click on the link tnat you provided, but, then I didn't know what to do next. All the best. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Kevin

Years ago we had lots of elderly customers that did know much about the internet. A local Probus group asked for a single page where they could open up and click on where they wanted to go via links. The Portal was born of that request. The customers have fed us the pages they like over 20 years and we keep adding them. As most people are creatures of habit the Portal has stabilised at about 10,000 links.
Just click on what you wish to see or where you wish to go.
If you wish to add any links just let us know.
Andrew

Posted
Rating:
Hi Andrew.  Thank you for your reply, not years ago? But it is now my turn, but the "Links"that I am interested in are "Specific to Your Model Railway Club threads" i.e. I was given a Link to a thread about "Shelf Layouts" which was full of useful info and if I leave it on my iPad ? I will be able to find it easily. But sometimes I would be on the laptop.
So thank you again,   all the best. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
OK Kevin.  Try this . . .

Make a folder and copy and paste any links you get into the folder.

Plus . . .

If you want to create a link to something you are looking at, press F6.

The URL up the top will turn blue.  Right click on the blue area > Copy then > Paste it into your folder.

Cheers

Posted
Rating:
Hi Max.  Thank you, everybody makes it sound so easy, I must be missing out something! I will try that . all the best Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi Kevin

You may be relieved to learn that it wasn't that many years ago, that I was the same as you.

Sol and others have had to put up with a constant barrage of questions until I got it.

They still are.  You should see the fun I'm having trying to connect the WiFi on my solar inverter to my iPhone!   :lol:

Another good thing is that you don't need to know every thing.  Well, you couldn't possibly.

All you need to do is constantly chase down those things you need to do your stuff.

Then, after a while, the chasing slows and one day - suddenly!  You think to yourself, "I know the answer to that!"

You proffer the answer and the poor grateful bleeder says, "Thanks, Kevin.  You are a genius!"

You blush, and humbly say, "Not at all Cholmondeley."

Cheers

Posted
Rating:
Hi Max.  I do know what you mean, and it is just like riding a bike, it seems like an age getting someone, your brother or a mate to push you along "an alley" or some other byway , then one day you are cycling to school. But bikes are mechanical , and that makes s difference. Press the wrong button and "WHAM" it all goes pear shaped.Trust me I will keep asking and plugging away.   all the best. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

If in doubt or when it goes pear-shaped - that's the time to read the instructions. Which are of course sometimes unintelligible. I have a simple approach to all of this, if it's not intuitive and is full of doctorate-level technobabble "look how clever I am" screed, it's not ready for my prime-time. Most times all we want are the principles and clear instructions, we can't be experts in everything.

Nigel 

©Nigel C. Phillips
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.