Jencaster

Posted
Rating:

OO gauge layout - 1930's LMS based in North West England

Thank you   Ian. When I was working , I didn’t have much spare time, now I have loads of time! but no structure , no timetable to work to.   Best wishes. Kevin

Last edit: by Passed Driver

Staying on the thread Kevin.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ian,

I've just read through the whole thread for the first time and I'm very impressed with what you've achieved. You've obviously got an eye for detail and there's a consistency to your modelling that brings everything together.

I shall look forward to seeing more photos.

Regards,

David V.

Posted
Rating:
I cant believe it was December when I last posted on my layout thread, although I have been keeping busy with different topics such as the LMS horsebox, Scalescenes garage/workshop etc. 
So, concerning the layout itself, I am now in the process on filling in the access gap. This area is used to access the hidden sidings under the tunnel/hillside. I need to retain the access, so the infills need to be hinged/removable.

The one on the left is hinged, the one on the right is completely removable. I covered the boards/framework with a Javis grass mat, which i then covered with static grass and a variety of flocks. When its finished it will hopefully complete the appearance that the railway runs through the scenery. The original gap was a little unsightly!

Before:

After: Stage 1 - main structure

Stage 2: Static grass/flock

Stage 3: Blending in higher fields and toning down track colour etc. The section next to the nearside wall is removable (seen on top of the takeaway tubs in Stage 2) to allow the board to hinge up.

Next phase is to add a few bushes/shrubs and more livestock. I have enough sheep so will probably go for cattle this time.

Last edit: by IanLMS

Ian Lancaster
Please visit my OO Gauge 1930's LMS layout "Jencaster"
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=14622&forum_id=21&page=1

Posted
Rating:
Here are a couple more photo's from around the layout:
Pic 1: a flock of sheep in Church Lane on the way down to the market via a trip on the local train.

Pic 2: LMS patriot on the Down Line with a passenger train passing the permanent way team on a break!

A more nostalgic view

Church Farm with the lights on!

And finally, my very first, fully completed brass kit - Falcon LMS Horsebox carrying my scratchbuilt magnetic coupling system I am developing.

Ian Lancaster

Posted
Rating:
Looks great Ian.

Phil

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Really very nice, Ian.

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Great cameos Ian, and I like the way you've made the railway 'fit' into the landscape  :thumbs :thumbs :thumbs

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ian.   This is my second reply with a question “ How can I squeeze scenery like this into a Four foot by Fourteen inch Shunting Puzzle ?” :hmm   Best wishes. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Thank you all for the kind comments. It looks better now the gap is filled, however, it adds additional pain when I need to clean the tracks and save derailed vehicles from under the tunnel. Still, as long as I am able to crawl under the layout, it will be fine!!!
Good luck compressing the scenery - I have seen some great layouts making very good use of forced perspective!!!

Ian Lancaster

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ian.   Thank you , that reminds me they have got? had? a Model Railway on the Severn Valley Line in OO gauge with an N Gauge running to and fro across the background which was very effective , I will have to adapt that idea.      Best wishes. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Done well, the use of diminishing scale track, buildings, trees etc towards the rear of the layout can look very convincing. The church and farm are Scalescenes OO reduced to 75% so effectively 3mm/ft which helps. I previously had a Skaledale OO gauge farmhouse on top of the hill and it looked way too big.

Ian Lancaster

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Looks great. Love the farm yard and I might have to borrow the idea of the grass mat.

Evan

Posted
Rating:
First time i had used a grass mat and for stretching over a frame and retain low weight it was ideal. Easy to fix with a hot glue gun and enhance with static grass and flocks. 

Ian Lancaster

Posted
Rating:
The last few weeks I have been testing and modifying my magnetic coupling system, and at the same time I decided to modify a couple of R-T-R cattle wagons. The donor wagons Bachmann and Mainline. I removed the original coupling and mounting points, replaced the buffers with Lanarkshire Models ones, replaced the over-scale plastic bars with brass wire and weathered them. I also replaced the wheels on the Mainline wagon with some Alan Gibson spoked wheels. The wagon coupled to the loco is a Parkside Dundas kit.

Ian Lancaster

Posted
Rating:
To add to the magnetic coupling system, I have also been trying out replica vacuum hoses using 1mm elastic cord and 2mm x 0.5mm magnets. Based on an idea from the US, just a little simpler and cheaper. 

Ignore missing buffer head - will be replaced soon!!!

Ian Lancaster

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ian. Very good indeed, looking authentic too. For me I have invested my money and effort on Kadee couplers, but of course they are only for wagons.  Best wishes. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ian,
Just discovered your thread. Your work is an inspiration.

Keep the posts coming.

Best wishes

Dave
Notmutley
British OO outline, DCC - NCE PowerPro, Sound chips, Computer Control- RR&Co software

Posted
Rating:
Thank you Dave. Work on the layout and operating it has given way to building loco kits. I have posted them seperately on the forum. Currently working on a Comet Stove R full brake coach. I still have 2 more locos plus several wagons but i might take a breaj and return to detailing the layout and just playing trains. 
Ian

Last edit: by IanLMS

Ian Lancaster

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ian.   I forgot to ask, how do the “Replica Vacuum Pipes” work for Uncoupling ?   Best wishes.  Kevin

Posted
Rating:
They have magnets both ends and simply part when u pull the coach away one end. I cannot fathom a way of auto uncoupling but i tend to keep my coaches in a fixed rake so the hoses are more cosmetic. I put one magnet on the end of a cast vac hose and use a 10mm length of 1mm elastic  with magnets on each end which connect between. I also have tried nails in the buffer beam to connect the hoses to which also works. Its in its infancy and early stages and i am sure it can be perfected with time and inginuity. Neither of whuch i have a lot of.

Ian Lancaster
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.