Windows 10 problems?

Posted
Rating:

You are not alone

How about we discuss the right tool for the job.
It is the same argument as Ford/Holden, VHS/Beta, record/digital, coke/pepsi etc etc.
Here in the office we have a 50/50 split between Linux (all flavours) and Windows (all flavours). If one or the other suits you and what you are trying to achieve go for it.
Andrew
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Discuss away.  I know from friends in the IT business, that they use a lot of Linux because they can write software to suit their work needs.

However, I could count on the fingers of one hand (I'm not good with numbers :lol:), the number of private people who have had success with it.

They are usually geeks and well capable of playing with it.

Ordinary folks want instant gratification (otherwise known as plug n play).  Or it doesn't suit what we are trying to do.

For example, Railroad & Co is a Windows based program and doesn't work with Linux - unless you load up their Windows lookalike software.  Lots of messing around.  I've tried it.

On the other hand, I bought a laptop and Windows 10; and downloaded the RR&Co software - it worked first time.

I know that Linux is clean and green and saves the forests, but it's a discipline of its own.

Just look at the number of members here who are struggling with XP on a single core processor and won't upgrade. 

Even if you manage to master Linux, then you have to deal with freeware like Open Office.  Open Office spread sheets need to be reformatted to MS Office before sharing, otherwise people get the hump.  I tried to send an OO spreadsheet to my Accountant one year at Tax Time and got well and truly told.

All I'm saying is to those people who are having computer issues, Linux is probably not going to be The Answer to The Maiden's Prayer.  We're fixing the forum.  Fix your computer first if it needs it.  Then play with Linux if you are interested.

Cheers

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote: 
but ordinary people will always use a commercial product.

Wot, like Firefox or Thunderbird :lol:

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Discuss away.  I know from friends in the IT business, that they use a lot of Linux because they can write software to suit their work needs.

However, I could count on the fingers of one hand (I'm not good with numbers :lol:), the number of private people who have had success with it.

They are usually geeks and well capable of playing with it.

Ordinary folks want instant gratification (otherwise known as plug n play).  Or it doesn't suit what we are trying to do.

For example, Railroad & Co is a Windows based program and doesn't work with Linux - unless you load up their Windows lookalike software.  Lots of messing around.  I've tried it.

On the other hand, I bought a laptop and Windows 10; and downloaded the RR&Co software - it worked first time.

I know that Linux is clean and green and saves the forests, but it's a discipline of its own.

Just look at the number of members here who are struggling with XP on a single core processor and won't upgrade. 

Even if you manage to master Linux, then you have to deal with freeware like Open Office.  Open Office spread sheets need to be reformatted to MS Office before sharing, otherwise people get the hump.  I tried to send an OO spreadsheet to my Accountant one year at Tax Time and got well and truly told.

All I'm saying is to those people who are having computer issues, Linux is probably not going to be The Answer to The Maiden's Prayer.  We're fixing the forum.  Fix your computer first if it needs it.  Then play with Linux if you are interested.

Cheers
Please define 'Geek', I haven't even got a smartphone or a tablet :tongue

C'mon Max, you didn't really like Ubuntu 'cos R R & Co wouldn't run :mutley

To be fair, your fixing the forum for Windows 10, not older versions of Windows, Linux or Mac OS.

Didn't Alan D and Ron say on the other thread Windows 10 had done another update and was now working for posting pictures, or did I read it wrong.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
No.  Like Windows 10 or Apple.

The forum is being fixed because it can't cope with some browsers used on Win 10.  It needs updating.

It's just a matter of time before that will be all that folks can get.  Try and buy a computer with XP or Win 7.  I know that pirated versions are available.  People who can get a pirated version of the old Operating Systems to work would have no trouble with Linux

I don't have a problem with people playing with Linux.  What I do have a problem with is them expecting Linux to solve problems that it can't.

The difficulty with this current issue is that it's a kind of creeping pox.  It's only affecting a few of us so far, but the consensus on the Ultra BB forum is that it will slowly spread.

Initially I started off being able to Upload photos and then having to resort to double tab drag and drop to insert them.  Now I can't even upload them, so I'm hosting them on my forum and copying and pasting the whole of the posts.

As the coding problem is apparently in the Gallery.  That should continue to work.

What also works is offsite hosting on places like Photobucket; which is what we did back in the day when Bob first started the forum. 

You are right, Ed.  Ubuntu wouldn't run RR&Co.

I think you'll find that Sol is using Win7 and Alan has a version of Win10 which still works.  So far there are only three or four of us who can't post photos. 

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
No i'm affected as well now.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Sorry to hear that, Alan.

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff

What also works is offsite hosting on places like Photobucket; which is what we did back in the day when Bob first started the forum. 

I know Flickr works (or did) so would it be better to host pictures elsewhere, if supporting the gallery software is becoming increasing difficult.

Just askin'

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Martin Wynne has done a complete rebuild of my forum Gallery and now hosting is not a problem.  It's not future proofed, but it will work with every platform he could test it on.

Alan has approached him and he has agreed to update the YMRC forum.

Posted
Rating:
I have Windows 10 with all the latest updates and dont have a problem.

I have tried the various Linux distros in the past and found it too glitchy, if I was to recommend one I would go for the standard Ubuntu distro.

Last edit: by Campaman

Cheers

Andy
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.