Kit Bashing

Posted
Rating:
#219920 (In Topic #11982)

Choice of glue?

Hi All.   My latest adventure, is old hat to most, but that the way it is.
I have bought a Ratio Kit. P Way wagons, No 575, and it is the recommended adhesive that I'm unsure of, "Gloy". I looked it up, and my spell checker kept going for "Glory", stupid spell checker.
My most recent attempt was using liquid weld:???: but I don't want to go for that? when it isn't the makers choice. please advise. Kevin

Staying on the thread Kevin.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Plastic kits are much of a muchness Kevin.  Anything recommended for styrene should do.  Liquid solvent,, like Plastic Weld, Testors et al will do a great job.  I also use Testors gel quite a lot.  Don't forget these Ratio kits have been around since Methuselah was pimply teenager.

I built this Slaters kit using Testors liquid and gel glue:

I googled "Gloy glue" and got a glue stick used to stick paper together.  I use Pritt glue sticks for my card kits.

Why don't you make a start and take pics as you go?  You can get guidance from the peanut gallery.

John

Last edit: by Brossard

John

Posted
Rating:
Hi John.  Thank you for you reply. I have had varying degrees of success with Liquid Weld, but I will persevere and post it ( one day when I get used to the technology)    all the best. Kevin

Last edit: by Passed Driver

Posted
Rating:
Try Revell 'Contacta Professional'.  It is made for plastics and comes in a small blue bottle with a yellow cap.  The bottle is designed to sit on its side to prevent spillage and has a long, narrow tube to dispense a minute drop of glue just where it is needed.  Best of all, it is widely available.

Terry 

Last edit: by col.stephens

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
That's what I used as well, Kevin.

Humbrol also sell it as Precision Poly Cement.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Terry. Thank you for your reply.  Speaking of spillage, that is not a problem! When being a clumsy ??? one kit building session I knocked over a bottle, so I left that had a cuppa, then it came to me, l had an off cut of ply, so I drilled a very"tight fitting hole in the ply" perfect ,then I glued that to a second off cut to form a block, and then wedged the bottle in. My previous card glue was"Roket" glue and that had a fine tube, which became blocked, Ihave kept that as a reminder, but if you would let me know how to avoid this, I will buy "Revell Contacta Professional "
much obliged    Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Another brand of the same product is Vollmer S 30

You can clear the tube by removing it from the bottle and holding it over a lighted cigarette lighter.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I normally use Humbrol's Liquid Poly or Slaters Mekpak. Both are excellent. Gloy glue used to be around years ago but haven't seen it for years.

I'm old, that's why I'm allowed to change my mind, when I can find it.

My Website: index

Posted
Rating:
Hi Max. Thank you for your reply. One of the reasons why I am always cautious with kits, is being "out of model railways" for so long, and now there are not so many walk in shops to browse in, buying on line being a necessary evil in the 21st century, but it isn't so personal now. And all we can do is join a forum ( an excellent one like YMRC) and chat online, very similar to ordering online , except this forum is friendly and has first names and an avatar( if it doesn't frighten kids and animals).
But I will look out for Humrol Precision Cement. hope to post results , all the best  Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Mick.  Thank you for your reply, Everyone on this forum is so helpful.
After my attempt to follow the Peco advice on Gloy and getting so much good advice on the  forum (perhaps it is best to forget Gloy)
The leaflet may have been printed when Gloy was a."tour de force" and has now had its day. all the best. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

That instruction sheet needs updating.

Any model adhesive meant for plastic kits will work. I use Testors Liquid Cement, very fluid and can be pained on, for most work. Still contains MEK, which is rapidly being phased out. It's a personal thing, try a few and see what works best for you. The thicker ones such as the yellow Humbrol contain more styrene monomer and function as cements rather than adhesives.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel. Thank you for your reply . The forum is verv handy indeed. As I'm sure I have written the next statement previously " It is most likely my handling of a product that gives me problems" for instance one kit stays stuck, where another doesn't , but now I have been cutting the smaller bits of kit off of the sprue I will buy, or use my existing supplies, and get on with it.    all the best.  Kevin

Posted
Rating:
OK, Kevin, first piece of advice - don't remove pieces from the sprue until you need them.  Small pieces especially can go AWOL very easily.  You should have a plastic box (could be bought or could be an old marg. tub) to put all the bits of your kit in.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Hi John.  Thank you an excellent piece of advice,  for the time being
I have cut off enough parts for one wagon. In lieu of an easy to open plastic box ( where all the contents shoot everywhere upon opening the box) I am using plastic mail bags and tipping out very carefully, famous last words, onto a tray.  all the best. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
For anything plastic I use Plastic Weld and about anything that's sticky for cardboard and, as a kid, even jam !

Allan.

Posted
Rating:
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
Another brand of the same product is Vollmer S 30

You can clear the tube by removing it from the bottle and holding it over a lighted cigarette lighter.

….don't let either end point towards the cuff of your best cardigan. That's how you get second-best cardigans…..

Chastened Chubber

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
For bits trays I use the plastic food containers that you get when you buy meat or such from the supermarkets. They come in all different shapes and sizes and are free. A temporary covering with a bit of cling film prevents part losses.

Last edit: by 60019Bittern

I'm old, that's why I'm allowed to change my mind, when I can find it.

My Website: index

Posted
Rating:
[user=1427]allan downes[/user] wrote:
For anything plastic I use Plastic Weld and about anything that's sticky for cardboard and, as a kid, even jam !

Allan.

…and if it all goes wrong you can have cardboard jam butties for tea  :shock:

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Hi Mick.   Thank you again, but, I am old fashioned.  I go to what used to be the Butcher ( but in the 21 century the meat is prepared by someone else) and they Bung everything in a poly bag when they serve you.
all th best. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Doug.  It is me and only me that does the moaning and washing, even ironing shopping. I'm so grumpy I cannot get anyone else to do it.
all the best. Kevin

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.