John Ahern - Resource thread

Posted
Rating:

A collection of links, resources etc.

Thanks Albert, link added to post No.1

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
That.s really handy Albert .  Thanks.:thumbs

reg

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Albert, useful link.  I see that the four articles dated 1943 entitled 'Miniature Building Construction' appear to be the forerunner of the book published in 1950.  Some of the drawings are as used in the book.

Terry 

Posted
Rating:
I spotted this building at the Woking show today.  Clearly another fan of John Ahearn…

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Arrived today from Myhobby Store, and filed away for future use; Village Shop, Country Inn,Village Filling Station and Small Country Station.

Posted
Rating:
[user=711]col.stephens[/user] wrote:
I spotted this building at the Woking show today.  Clearly another fan of John Ahearn…

Terry

Luffley, with knobs on! The adjacent warehouse has a familiar look about it, too…

Doug

Last edit: by Chubber

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

Posted
Rating:
The pictures below are those found at the rear of JAs Miniature Building Construction [M.B.C.] and were once available as blue prints from Percival Marshall.  Thanks to Terry for prompting me to post them, not all of them are shown in each edition of M.B.C.

Copyright CV Russell and E Fells. Reproduced with their kind permissions.

Please note the the family of J.A. indicated that they were not  copyright holders of the blueprints for the models made from these sketches. So, even if we find original/copies we would be unable to publish them here. I have written  to Hobbycraft requesting details of the holders, to no avail.

I have permission to reproduce text and diagrams from M.B.C. 'for the advancement of railway modelling' and not for any commercial purpose.

Doug

Posted
Rating:
Finally got around to ordering a copy of MBC, so hopefully it arrives before Xmas so I can have a go at building something over the holiday.

Although I have started on my version of the cottages using the information and pictures in Dougs build of them.

Cheers

Andy

Posted
Rating:
You can build any of those structures from those sketches.  Use the norm of front doors being 6-6 x 2-6 and, if necessary, count bricks.  Anything rather than buy something from a company called MyHobbyStore. God that makes me shudder and John Ahern would revolve in his grave at the very idea.  Percival Marshall, even M.A.P., was nice, but the latest iteration is just vulgar.

I've made models i different scales from the sketches in the book since I was about 13 without problems.

Martin

Manifestly it is better to use simple tools expertly than to possess a bewildering assortment of complicated gadgets and either neglect or use them incompetently. ( L.T.C.Rolt)

Posted
Rating:
Try this, it should be a link to JA's articles, but at 200Mb takes a little while to download.

Let me know if it works for you, it is amazing reading, from building a model of Winchester engine shed to modelling an OO scale duck…

tbmod.com/rm/Madder%20Valley%20John%20Ahearn%20articles.pdf

Posted
Rating:
Just downloading it now Doug.  It looks very interesting. Thanks for posting the link.
Any idea who compiled all of these articles?
Regards,
Terry

Last edit: by col.stephens

Posted
Rating:
I'm ashamed to say I don't know. I used to think that it was a 'duff' link, but this evening tried again, got called away and when I came back….voila! I think Sky have tweaked my speeds as a result of complaining and threatening to go to Virgin when they wanted to double my monthly subscription, as they have just installed cable in our road.

It is amongst loads of stuff I kept over 2 years of Googling to find JA's great nephew years ago, to seek permission to reproduce the contents of 'Architectural Modelling' for YMR.

Doug

Posted
Rating:
How did you download that link Terry ?

Google can't find it …………………… :???:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Just got there - copied from "Madder%20 Valley", ignoring the first bit of the link.   :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Just copy this below and paste it in your browser title bar hit enter and the pdf download will begin

well worth downloading

tbmod.com/rm/Madder%20Valley%20John%20Ahearn%20articles.pdf

Brian

OO gauge DCC ECOS Itrain 4 computer control system

Posted
Rating:
That didn't work for me Brian - until I dropped the  "tbmod.com/rm/"   bit of the link.  Then it worked.   Strange things these computers - maybe it's because I'm in France ……………… :mutley

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Now having tried some old stored links with more success they have led me to this…Bert's Garage in 'N' scale!

https://30squaresofontario.blogspot.com/2018/12/john-earl-and-bert.html

Doug

Posted
Rating:
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.