Chemical tankers

Posted
Rating:
#217300 (In Topic #11861)
I'm not sure where to put this one - the wagons have a bashed Farish TEA body barrel (cut-down length and re-profiled ends), but a scratch built chassis/under-frame and RTR bogies.

13 of these vinyl chloride monomer chemical bogie wagons were built at Ashford in 1971 and pics can be found on Paul Barlett's wagon website: http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/stsvinylchloride/h35acd630#h35acd630   However, I'd be grateful if anyone has or knows were to find other pics to help with finishing inspiration to please let me know.

Having found three old Farish TEA barrel bodies in my spares box (the stub-frame chassis' were used on another project) I've spent the last few days bashing three of these chemical tank wagons from odds and sods in my spares boxes and materials at hand (like plasticard, Evergreen strip and wire) - nothing has been purchased for them. The picture below shows almost as far I've got. The end walkways needed adding but I've some of the TPM ferry wagon conversion etches which include walkways that I'd planned to use. 

However, the TPM etched were too wide for the wagons so I had to fiddle around with them eventually cutting off the steps and etched railing, cutting down the walkway, and forming new railings, closer to the style of the prototype, from bent up wire. Then I added the steps back on to the chassis sides. There is still the inner rail stanchions to form and add. But I think it looks a little better with regards to the width of the walkway (bearing in mind this is N gauge).

Z.

Last edit: by Zodiac

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
That is looking very good Grahame for N Scale.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
A little progress - finished the railing/steps (to all three wagons that I'm bashing) and I've got the main base colours on (although black and white makes photography tricky). The body and chassis/underframe are still separate sub-assemblies and I probably won't glue them together until nearly finished. Next is to get out the paint brushes.

Z.

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Impressive Grahame,i model N as well so i know what you're up against.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
I found trying to pick out the double lifting? lugs, on each side at each end, in white to be rather tricky. The railing are a breeze comparatively. 

So much so that I'm only going to do the one wagon like that. Luckily, on Pauls wagons website, there are others that have them painted black (and the steps also aren't white) so that is how I'll finish the other two.  
http://paulbartlett....c05f3#h2e2c05f3

Z.

Last edit: by Zodiac

Posted
Rating:
Progressed has slowed down. I've got to sift through my old transfers collection to see if I can find suitable decals for the bodies and sole-bars. But here is the latest;

However, I'm not sure if there is any interest in this. 
G.

Posted
Rating:
Yes, interest, 150 views, and following along, just not commented so far.

Keep going.

Last edit: by Campaman

Cheers

Andy

Posted
Rating:
Always good to see how people go about scratch build/kit bashes to make something they want.

As I also model in N I know what you are up against and am mightily impressed by the workmanship. Particularly the wire railings! Super glue or solder to hold the railings together?

Cheers

Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Noticed you said you got the paint brushes out Grahame, so you didn't spray the tank bodies quest:

Ed

Posted
Rating:
[user=1338]Ed[/user] wrote:
Noticed you said you got the paint brushes out Grahame, so you didn't spray the tank bodies quest:
The black and the white (tank body) was painted from aerosol cans - the brush painting was just the railings and hand/brake-wheels. But I haven't bothered to get out my airbrush.
Z.

Posted
Rating:
[user=19]Marty[/user] wrote:
Always good to see how people go about scratch build/kit bashes to make something they want.

As I also model in N I know what you are up against and am mightily impressed by the workmanship. Particularly the wire railings! Super glue or solder to hold the railings together?  
Superglued - but there are only three lengths of wire bent to shape. 1 - the top railing bend down at each end to form the outer uprights and then under the etched floor where it is glued. 2- the centre uprights with the horizontal centre joining section glued to the floor. 3 - the mid height cross bar.
G.

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
[user=575]Zodiac[/user] wrote:
The black and the white (tank body) was painted from aerosol cans - the brush painting was just the railings and hand/brake-wheels. But I haven't bothered to get out my airbrush.
Z.
I was wondering as I've got some Hornby TTAs to smarten up and I haven't got hold of a silver paint aerosol can yet.

Posted
Rating:
I was wondering as I've got some Hornby TTAs to smarten up and I haven't got hold of a silver paint aerosol can yet.

Check out the Halfords car paints range.
Z.

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Thanks Grahame, but they're a bit pricey.

Might go gray instead :thumbs

Ed

Posted
Rating:

Not really, less than £7 for a large can of metallic finish paint that will do lots of wagons and last you for ages. They are acrylic, fast drying, high quality, and spray well.
Alternatively Humbrol do acrylic hobby aerosol cans of paint in a huge range of metallic colours (brass, aluminium, gold, chrome, steel, etc.) for around £4 to £5 but they are much smaller.
Z.

Posted
Rating:
[user=19]Marty[/user] wrote:

Superglued - but there are only three lengths of wire bent to shape. 1 - the top railing bend down at each end to form the outer uprights and then under the etched floor where it is glued. 2- the centre uprights with the horizontal centre joining section glued to the floor. 3 - the mid height cross bar.
G.

Very tidy too.

Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff

Not really, less than £7 for a large can of metallic finish paint that will do lots of wagons and last you for ages. They are acrylic, fast drying, high quality, and spray well.
Alternatively Humbrol do acrylic hobby aerosol cans of paint in a huge range of metallic colours (brass, aluminium, gold, chrome, steel, etc.) for around £4 to £5 but they are much smaller.
Z.
I'll just wait for the Poundshop to get some back in stock :mutley

Ed

Posted
Rating:
I'll just wait for the Poundshop to get some back in stock

Poundshop stuff is usually of dubious quality and in small quantities. I wouldn't want to risk using their paint on my models.
Z.

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Not had any problems with their grey primer/undercoat.

Each to his own.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
I will second that, I have been using Poundland grey and white primer for years with no problems.

Halfords ones for the colours though, as they are good quality, last well and dont clog.

Cheers

Andy
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.