Finally, a New Layout

Posted
Rating:

Thoughts on baseboards

Intriguing, is the card on the outside going to be like a facia? the Trammel draws the curve that you bend the card around? Sorry if I'm a bit thick!

Oh… Mess means things are happening, which is good.

Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Lol Marty, no, the card is to give me the radius to trim the foam.  I already stuck most of the foam on and will  trim it in the am.  In addition to glue, I used dowels to secure the foam - I may have a fetish about them.  I'll have a bit more to do after that.

Good point about the fascia though, I have been thinking of hardboard (MDF?).  It will give a finished look.

Looking forward to the fun parts, I'm no carpenter and I'm sore all over from slinging these boards about.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Great job John…you have been a busy boy!!😄😄😄

Posted
Rating:
Yes indeed Gene. I'm shot at.  I'll give you another opportunity to tell me I'm over-engineering stuff. :cool:

I got the foam on the front face of the angled boards trimmed today:

It looks pretty good I think.:hmm

Another shot so you can see the curve:

Ijust installed the large diameter dowels.  I will use those to drive screws to secure the fascia.

Notice I'm also doing the inside curve, I should be able to trim That tomorrow.

When the boards are put back together we'll have a nice sweeping curve. :mrgreen:

BTW, I'm using "No More Nails" which has been somewhat disappointing in that it seems to take forever to dry/cure.  Should have used the trusty PVA.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
OK… Got it now :roll:

Nice concept and the flowing curve is a marked improvement on the angled boards from an aesthetic point of view.

I've used 3mm MDF form my fascia. Easy to work with, bends nicely and takes paint well.

Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
I think that's what I have Marty, 1/8" thick.  We'll see how it goes.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Hi John,

Those curves look good. I was going to suggest bendy ply but for what you have to do it's overkill as it comes in 4' x 8' sheets.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
It s over-engineered…but thats what engineers do😄😄😄

It also looks really good! So what are the two holes in the lower baseboard for??

Posted
Rating:
MDF has worked and the fascia are on both front and back.  Not very pretty at the moment, I've got screw heads all over the place because of the untidy insertion of dowels.  I'll give the glue a chance to dry over night and replace the screws with dowels (what else).  Patch the holes and a shot of white paint and it should look tiddly.  The very fine ply to which I think you refer is horribly expensive.

Yeah Gene, you'll have to deal with my engineering.  If mine or Nigel's boards ever hit an iceberg, everyone will be saved.  Ah Gene, those holes are so folk can get to the bolts joining the boards once it's all covered with scenery - clever eh?

While I'm at it, I'll do the screen for the fiddle yard.  If I can get all the tedious stuff out of the way, I can get on to the fun stuff.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Hi John,

And here I was thinking, yes, finally, a double sink  (why not). That is a neat idea, presumably you are having a demountable  hill/warehouse/houses/ponds. Saves all that bending and working upside-down.  Plus access to the electrickery connections?

Bendyply is indeed horrendously expensive when compared to 1/8"/3mm MDF.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Never thought of a double sink :cool wink

Some of the scenery will be demountable given that I'm making provision for the layout to be transportable, don't think the water features will be though.  Depends on how vulnerable the items seem to be.  Sometimes leaving a building in situ is less risky than shovelling them into a box.

Access to the electricals will, of course, be a consideration.  I'm anticipating that there will be point motors in the vicinity of the double sink since I want to start the point ladder for the fiddle yard on the adjacent board.  Actual configuration to be sussed out.  All will be revealed.

I did the fiddle yard screen this morning - demountable.:Happy

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Finally, I can call the curved boards done! :roll:

After a lot of faffing about, the fascia looks neat and tidy.  Once that layout is nearer to completion I will paint the sides with a final colour - probably green.

The fiddle yard board with screen:

The screen demounts:

Simple enough I think - right up my street.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Ooh… Very nice Sir! Well worth the effort.

Note to self… Must tidy up screw holes on NE facia… If John can do it… :oops:

Marty

Last edit: by Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Nice work, John.

Remember, "faffing" is code for "modelling."  :lol:

Posted
Rating:
I suppose I should have shown the rear fascia where I left the screws, painting over them - they look reasonably neat though..  I'm not too fussed about that since it won't be seen.  In fact, you won't see much of the front either since I have curtains to cover my spindly legs at an exhibition.

Well, there's faff and there's faff Max.  Still, I'm using this as an exercise to improve my workmanship.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
So, finally titivating of the fascia on the curve is complete and layout assembly done this morning:

Very happy with how this has turned out despite all the fannying about.

The inside curve.  Cutouts are for access to the leg bolts.  I left cavities in the foam of the front fascia for the same purpose.  Just visible to the left is a jog where the 18" board joins the 2' board.  Todays job is to fill that with foam.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Hi John,

Looking very nice indeed. Nothing like a bit of faff to get things done. Now we know what you'll be wearing at an exhibition, what about the layout?

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Always good to be stylish in public Nigel.  I've got skirts for the layout too.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Completed the infill between the 2' and 18" boards"

Lessons learned:

1)  Use the yellow carpenters glue.  It goes off fairly quickly so that clamps can be remove and work continue.

2)  Embed 3/4" x 3/4" wooden strip into the foam.  Once the glue is dry, they make good anchors for screws.

I think I can create a new thread now to describe progress on the layout proper.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Nice and tidy John.

I like the embedded wood strip idea.

Big sigh now the woodwork is over. You've done a great job.

Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.