Look out, the 14xxs are comming!

Posted
Rating:

Latest examples just delivered to Hattons

Hi Stephen,

Good to hear that you are as pleased with the 48xx, as much as your earlier 58xx. I've still not managed to run my 48xx due to a prolonged dodgy back, but it's getting a little easier, so no worries.

The weathered versions are due soon and I'm keen to see how the production examples look, compared to the rather heavy handed samples so far seen, as I'm after a shirt button 48xx to compliment my 1930s rail and road stock.

Good luck and have fun,

Bill 

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=1632]BCDR[/user] wrote:
Join the line! (for 'plenty of older 14xx models onto' the marketplace - Brendan) My Hornby pulls just fine with no traction tires and DCC, and I can live without the space under the boiler.

Nigel

Interesting to see Hattons advertising the new Hornby version at a pre-order price of just Â£38 whilst at the same time, attempting to extract £57 right now, for a pre-owned example! Oh the joys of supply and demand!

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Well, whatever I wound up getting I would probably end up scratchbuilding the autocoaches to go with. Not that anyone here would be likely to see them  

Posted
Rating:
I wouldn't be surprised if Hornby or maybe another, does something appropriate to compliment the 0-4-2s. I still have two good Airfix examples from years ago, which are easily upgraded with the Dart Castings kit. These venerable old models are still available from the well known online auction site, although prices may just start to strengthen.

As Nick, a.k.a Woody said, a correct Hawksworth autocoach is now available from Bachmann, but suitable only for the later post-nationalisation era.

Bill 

Posted
Rating:
The reason for scratchbuilding wouldn't be the selection of available models, it would be my limited earning and spending capacity. Same reason I'm hoping this sends some beater pre-owneds to evilBay where they might be cheap.

Posted
Rating:
Good luck Brendan, as scratch building is both kind on the pocket and a great way to expand the knowledge of railways and there is an abundance of source material available nowadays. Let me know if you ever need some autocoach prototype information, as I have numerous books on the GWR and their coaching and autocoach stock.

Bill

Posted
Rating:
I've managed to take the cab off to add crew. The instructions included with the loco are pretty good but there are a couple of things to watch out for. I forgot to take photos whilst I removed the cab but did take some of the replacement which is the reverse procedure.

First thing they tell you to do is to remove the coal load. Interestingly they don't say how it is to be removed. I pondered for a while and then noticed a small hole behind the bunker lamp iron, poked the end of a cocktail stick in and out it popped. There are two screws inside the bunker to be removed, then it says to remove the whistle and the whistle guard if the model has one. Mine doesn't so I tried to remove the whistles and it was obvious they were going to break so I stopped. It turns out they DO NOT need to be removed but if the model has the whistle guard then they may be fixed differently. You then need to remove the handrail that runs from the roof down the cab side. The cab just then slides up and off. Easy peasy until I suspect it comes to putting the two screws back.

Taking it from the point where you now have access to the cab the level of detail can be seen to be remarkable. Pity that it can hardly be seen once your crew is in place 

Fix your chosen crew. These are from Masterpice Models and are specifically made for the 14/48/58xx.

Replace the cab, it just slides down back into place.

Replace the two screws in the bunker recess. I think the wires are for a speaker installation.

Replace the coal load. It is difficult to see the hole behind the lamp iron as I've added real coal, but is is fairly obvious when you know where to look.

If you had to remove the whistle guard then now is the time to replace it.

Finally replace the cab handrail. Be careful with this part as it is very fragile and easy to lose.

Hope this helps someone.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Please forgive me Woody, but you've just ruined a perfectly good model by fitting the worst loco crew I have ever seen. 

So, I just have to ask. Why did you do it ? :sad:

With regards.

Allan

Posted
Rating:
[user=1427]allan downes[/user] wrote:
Please forgive me Woody, but you've just ruined a perfectly good model by fitting the worst loco crew I have ever seen. 

So, I just have to ask. Why did you do it ? :sad:

With regards.

Allan
Hi Allan

Really? They are very cruel macro closeups. The crew are from Falcon Figures, a highly respected supplier and specifically modelled for this loco. What is it that you don't like about them specifically, as I have had compliments about them elsewhere?

Last edit: by pnwood

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Hi Woody. 

What don't I like about them you asked?

Well, they're downright ugly and disfigured and look terrible even from a distance and I'm sure there must be a more realistic alternative out there somewhere - I mean, just look at the size of that driver's hand to start with, it looks more like a shovel !

Cheers.

Allan

Posted
Rating:
[user=1427]allan downes[/user] wrote:
Hi Woody. 

What don't I like about them you asked?

Well, they're downright ugly and disfigured and look terrible even from a distance and I'm sure there must be a more realistic alternative out there somewhere - I mean, just look at the size of that driver's hand to start with, it looks more like a shovel !

Cheers.

Allan

Allan
Fair enough. From your viewpoint, seeing them in a highly enlarged photograph, I can see your point regarding the hand, but in reality at normal viewing distances it isn't a problem apart from the fact that the skin tone might be a tad on the light side exacerbating the problem. I'll have a go at toning it down  but otherwise I don't see it as an issue and I am generally quite pernickety.  I can't do much about them being ugly, perhaps the person who modelled for them was, there are a few about even in our perfect world you know  ;-)

Thanks for giving an honest critique. :thumbs

Nick

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Nick,

A most useful little "how to" to give us more confidence when dealing with the intricate detail of this model. Yours looks really good with those less obtrusive couplings and some gentle weathering.

I've just ordered a right hand loco crew from Dart, together with their auto trailer detailing kit to compliment my 48xx.

Good luck with your next exhibition.

Bill 

Last edit: by Longchap

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill, thanks for the positive comments. The weathering isn't quite finished yet, there is a bit of detailing to do with powders but I should get it finished today and I'll post some proper photos up.

I think I've used all of the Dart (Monty's) range of right handed driver / firemen on my loco collection and they are excellent. I also rate the Falcon Figures despite them not meeting universal approval and have used them on my Dukedog and one of the panniers previously. I would like to try the new Modelu figures but haven't as yet seen them in the flesh, but they look very good too.

You'll enjoy doing the Dart detailing kit for the Autotrailer, it makes for a very fine model.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the cab interior views. ATC gong as well. Or is that the autocoach gong? Interesting how the pipework is represented.

Only the fireman would in the cab in autocoach working though. The driver would be in the autocoach. Maybe the occasional inspector.

My engines normally run with Crew and Less in the cab as the detail on most at this scale is usually bad at best.  I'm with Alan on that cauliflower hand.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
[user=1632]BCDR[/user] wrote:
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the cab interior views. ATC gong as well. Or is that the autocoach gong? Interesting how the pipework is represented.

Only the fireman would in the cab in autocoach working though. The driver would be in the autocoach. Maybe the occasional inspector.

My engines normally run with Crew and Less in the cab as the detail on most at this scale is usually bad at best.  I'm with Alan on that cauliflower hand.

Nigel
Well aware of that Nigel, but it's the same dilemma as lamps. If your loco is lamped for a local passenger and you want to use it for freight as well then the lamps will be wrong and vice versa (unless of course you make them removable. In 4mm and exhibition conditions, no thanks!! Same goes for crew, the 48xx was not exclusively used for auto coach workings therefore it makes sense to have both and a driver in the cab of the coach. You can't have it both ways.

All I can say regarding 'hand-gate' is if you saw it in the flesh (excuse the pun) from any normal viewing distance you wouldn't think it is such a big deal. My last word on the subject.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
The least I could have done Nick was to have ignored the Martian loco crew completely and commented more favourably on your modifications which  stand out as absolutely first class modelling and at least a 100 times better than anything I could have done !

Thanks for being such a good sport.

With regards.

Allan.

Posted
Rating:
Thank you Allan, I do try to look at criticism positively.

The weathering process started last week with a session using the airbrush to lay on a very thin basecoat of grime. Once happy it was left to dry for a few days and I've now completed it using powders. 

Overall I was aiming at a fairly clean and cared for loco as it would only be a few years old at the time period Much Murkle is set in (mid 30's). I have tried to keep the areas around the cab and tank sides clean(ish), but as with all steamers once they have been in service a while the other areas will be getting grubby and soot laden. 

The axle boxes are kept well oiled but the areas around the springs and sandboxes would be showing signs of corrosion. This shot in particular shows up one of the main criticisms of this model, i.e. the lack of an ashpan. If I hadn't been getting it ready for the Leamington Show this weekend I would have tried to do something about it. It is in mind to correct soon though. 

Always plenty of brake dust evident and the start of corrosion corrosion on the steps and elsewhere.

The bunker area would rapidly corrode as paint got chipped quickly by the coal being loaded. Coal is also a very corrosive mineral.

Posted
Rating:
Great photographs and fabulous work Nick and good use of external daylight.

This shows how a good model gets better.

Bill

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Bill, daylight photos always seem to be better especially for weathering as you need to see the true colours to fully appreciate the effect. Under artificial light the rusting can appear to be far too orange in tone.

Posted
Rating:
Super job on the weathering…….you have achieved exactly the subtle understated effect that I am striving for……lots of useful tips….thank you
I imagine that this loco will be the centre of attention at the show

Best wishes

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.