Look out, the 14xxs are comming!

Posted
Rating:

Latest examples just delivered to Hattons

Thanks Bill,

I had a look, my enthusiasm level has just dropped (plummeted is more like it) considerably. I'll probably pass on this one. Complicated gear train, split chassis (which looks to be live), no trailing pony wheels, coreless motor, 6-pin (N-scale) decoder, sugar cube speaker. It looks like both coupled wheels and the trailing pony wheels are powered. This makes it a split chassis 0-4-2-0 rather than an 0-4-2. I couldn't see any autogear or ATC either, which could be an issue as Mainly Trains has closed.

I left messages with Ultrascale, Hattons and Dave re re-gauging. From the CAD diagrams there looks like enough space in the wheel arches.That complicated gear train (8 gears in total including what looks like 3 compound, 1 spur and 3 axle gears, hope the plastic used is up to it) could make it, well, complicated. That's 3 axles to re-gear, and it means taking the chassis apart even with a drop-in geared wheel set. A 6-wheel diesel bogie design with drop-out driving axles would have been better. You can definitely see the Dapol N-gauge 0-6-0 design heritage here.

Nice to have the decoder access via the smokebox door though. I wouldn't like to try and take this model apart.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel,

Hmm, not good news for you then, not that I ever thought that taking this one to bits would be an option for me, as it's just too small and I've seen some debate elsewhere whether there's really enough space in the bunker to get decent sound equipment in. So, decoder, crew and some gentle weathering will do it for me.

Not all of the 16 variants have ATC and auto gear fitted. I'd also like a shirt button livery for late 1930s auto-trailer service, but the only off the shelf unit is sold as 'lightly weathered', which for my taste is far too heavily done. So it sounds like another early Western scripted livery 48xx with a little fettling.

I see Hornby's release of the 20 year old unit though (DCC compatible but no socket) as a great compliment to Dave Jones' product.

Bill     

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill,

I'll stick with my Hornby for the moment, wheels as per the prototype, and really not that much difference when it comes to body detail. I can do without all that nice cab detail on the DJ one as well. The Hornby one runs very nicely with DCC, and switching the wheelset to EM was 5 minutes work. The big visual difference between the Hornby and the DJ version is the chassis. If I ever get desperate to improve the Hornby chassis milled frames or chassis kits are available (Allan Gibson Workshop, Comet, High Level). Mind you, it would be easy enough to run up some cosmetic frames in 5 thou' brass or black styrene with rivets/bolt heads, dummy hornblocks and ash pan details. Plenty of space available with that EM conversion. I feel a project coming on for next week. I have some chassis diagrams somewhere, hold on a second, I have already drawn it up. 

Retrograde step I think with the chassis.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill,

All the 48xx (and subsequent 14xx) has autogear and ATC (sez Russell). The 58xx series didn't have autogear, although many had ATC.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
[user=1959]81F[/user] wrote:
Just got the DJ models 58 a lovely model can't wait for the 48

Interesting to see that Hornby are to release their ex-Airfix/Dapol version in their Railroad range

Hi 81F

Congratulations on your new acquisition :thumbs

Do let us know how she operates and any other thoughts you may have.

Kind Regards

John

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill

Its been a while. Hope you and yours had a great Christmas

[user=1814]Longchap[/user] wrote:
  So, decoder, crew and some gentle weathering will do it for me.
Like most of the purchasers I imagine. After all isnt that what RTR means?  I will be doing the same although I will be changing the numbers on my 4807 to 1407 to match my time period

the only off the shelf unit is sold as 'lightly weathered', which for my taste is far too heavily done.
I have two locos on order and both are supposed to be "lightly weathered".  :shock: I had the same reaction as you when I saw the initial weathered samples. I recall Hattons Dave saying something about production being somewhat lighter……I do hope so.  Mind you I can get away with mucky locos on my layout. :lol:

I am just looking forward to having a 14xx running on Granby that hopefully doesnt need to be permanently hooked up to an autocoach with pick ups and a stay alive :thumbs

As an aside, I dont think that 6 pin decoders are considered by everybody to be solely N Gauge. I accept that the chips were originally designed for N but a number of 00 gauge RTR are now fitted with them. I  operate Bachmanns L&Y Tank with a Lenz 6 pin mini very satisfactorily.

Looking forward to sharing notes with you when our locos finally arrive

Best Wishes

John

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
Hi John,

Yes, it's been a while, but life is just like that from time to time, yet the allure of railways always stays with us and it's good to hear from you.

I'm looking forward to receiving 4825 in about three weeks time and will also be looking to see just How 'lightly' 4871 really is, so please do post some photos and we can indeed compare notes, including decoder performance.

I'm in the UK soon and as well as attending a model railway exhibition, will be picking up my new airbrush and compressor, as I have a long line of wagon kits to build, as well as practising weathering techniques for all those new locos. Amongst the kits is a half completed K's white metal autocoach which will make a change to running my two Airfix ones.

Hope you are getting through the winter without mishap. Fortunately, our heavy handed attitude to insulation when converting the barn has made it easy to keep warm and snug!

My best wishes,

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Just took a peep at Hattons' site:

DJ Models (Dave Jones)  
H1401

OO Gauge (1:76 Scale)
Class 48xx 0-4-2T 4825 in GWR Unlined green with Great
Western lettering

DCC Ready. 6-pin
socket

Is this item actually in stock? Yes 

Yay, at long last and I'm looking forward to Patrice in his little yellow van making a delivery in a few days.

Bill :)

Posted
Rating:
Just took a peep at Hattons' site:

DJ Models (Dave Jones)  
H1401

OO Gauge (1:76 Scale)
Class 48xx 0-4-2T 4825 in GWR Unlined green with Great
Western lettering

DCC Ready. 6-pin
socket

Is this item actually in stock? Yes 

Yay, at long last and I'm looking forward to Patrice in his little yellow van making a delivery in a few days.

Bill :)

Just got a message from Hattons to say that mine (same spec as you Bill) is being packed and will be dispatched shortly. Hopefully I'll have time to weather it and change the couplings before Much Murkles next outing in just over two weeks time.  :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
I wish you joy guys:thumbs…..do let us know how they perform.
I have to continue to be patient……end of March for mine I believe

Cheers

John

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
Yup, same here Nick and it seems likely that you'll be up and running on MM in time. Good luck all the same.

I'm just checking on decoders. Looks like a Lenz Silver mini 6 pin may fit the bill.

Bill 

Posted
Rating:
Hi John,

I didn't hear you sneak in while I was side-tracked, but I know what a patient chap you are and March will soon be upon us.

Did you manage to squeeze a Lenz Silver mini into your 58xx?

Bill  

Posted
Rating:
Sorry John, senior moment here, re:58xx, due to multi tasking failure!

Back to my tax forms . . . . . zzzzzzz

Bill

Posted
Rating:
Gday Everyone,

I've got the 58xx #5808 and it is a beautiful model, a vast improvement over the old Hornby/Airfix model as it has no traction tires and some proper detail, the cab detail is 'to die for' for a non brass model, the best I've seen on any of the current RTR steam loco. It is chipped with a Hattons decoder and seems to run perfectly with it, there is some slight momentum. Looking forward to getting a few more, probably of the 48/14xx variants.

Cheers Connor

CC Weathering Services: https://ccgwr1.wixsite.com/ccweatheringservices/
CC Weathering Services Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ccweatheringservices/

Posted
Rating:
Hi John,

I didn't hear you sneak in while I was side-tracked, but I know what a patient chap you are and March will soon be upon us.

Did you manage to squeeze a Lenz Silver mini into your 58xx?

Bill  
Hi Bill

I think a Lenz silver mini will be perfect. In fact I have 2 sitting waiting for them…..I ordered them from a German box shifter pre Xmas , at a very good price incidentally, in anticipation of the promised January delivery:cry:

I wish you hadn't mentioned tax returns….quite spoiled my day

Best wishes

John

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
[user=211]CCGWR[/user] wrote:
Gday Everyone,

I've got the 58xx #5808 and it is a beautiful model, a vast improvement over the old Hornby/Airfix model as it has no traction tires and some proper detail, the cab detail is 'to die for' for a non brass model, the best I've seen on any of the current RTR steam loco. It is chipped with a Hattons decoder and seems to run perfectly with it, there is some slight momentum. Looking forward to getting a few more, probably of the 48/14xx variants.

Cheers Connor
Thanks for that Connor….good to hear such positive comments

Cheers

John

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
[user=434]John Dew[/user] wrote:

Hi Bill

I think a Lenz silver mini will be perfect. In fact I have 2 sitting waiting for them…..I ordered them from a German box shifter pre Xmas , at a very good price incidentally, in anticipation of the promised January delivery:cry:

I wish you hadn't mentioned tax returns….quite spoiled my day

Best wishes

John

Hi John,

I found Wickness Models reliable and with good prices for Lenz and will place an order tonight, as Hattons put my 48xx in the post today.

Sorry to have mentioned the 'T' word, but as circumstances dictated, I had three tax returns to do this time round, one for the UK and two for France, fortunately not to repeated. Hopefully yours may be more straightforward!

Bon courage and best wishes,

Bill

Posted
Rating:
Well so there I`ve been….. selling ALL my 4mm stuff on ebay over Christmas, safe in the knowledge that I had cancelled my order with Hattons in December 2015………….

When this arrived in the post today……………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

So…. a quick search for my one remaining 4mm test track piece…………………………………………………

She runs perfectly out of the box………………………………………………………………………………………….

The only fault I can see on mine are the poor looking number plates……………………………………………………..

Now what do I dooooo…………………………………………….?????

Twobolt John

Posted
Rating:
Hi John,

Your 48xx looks splendid, excepting as you say, the number plates.

I suppose you can always send it back, where it would make a bargain on Hattons' previously owned page, with just one careful owner!

Thanks for the photos.

I suppose you could always have a small plank?

Bill 

Posted
Rating:
I received my new 48xx from Hattons yesterday and have had it on the rolling road 'running in' today. Seems to be running sweet although like most four coupled models there is a slight rocking at speed. This doesn't matter to me as the loco will never break sweat on Much Murkle.

I would have preferred it to be a bit lower geared but with a good controller slow speed running should be ok. I thought I would do some comparison shots against my elderly modified Dapol version.

Bearing in mind that the Dapol (now Hornby and previously Airfix) body moulding is around 40 years vintage it holds up quite well I think. The running qualities are another matter. As already mentioned in this thread, a quite noticeable omission on the new model is the lack of an ashpan leaving quite a bit of daylight between the rear wheels and the driving wheels.

Having put a lot of effort previously into the old Dapol model it will not be retired but will be having a new High Level chassis fitted as soon as I can get around to building it.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.