Everything Bachmann

Posted
Rating:

Modern Image mismatch

[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
PS.  Does that include "Hacking at the Locomotive"? Because as I said I would hate to ruin the Bachmann workmanship with my clumsy handiwork
Hi Kevin,

In my limited experience with Bachmann steam engines it's best to replace with a coupler pocket. That dove-tail affair they come with can slide down and result in uncoupling. Plus that plastic hinge between the dovetail and the NEM pocket doesn't last forever. Better to use a Kadee 5 or similar and allow the coupler to move laterally within the draw gear box. The front normally gets a decent hook and chain/instanter, and is not used. Not too much butchery involved.

Bachmann diesels get the same treatment. I have a Class 20 that is next on the getaroundtoit list, plus an old Warship that used to have the tension hook attached to the bogie. I've done one of these before, it does involve some butchery and hackery, as space is very tight. One of the special Kadee's is called for (the 3X series with a 233 box, which is shorter than the 232 or 234 box normally used, and additionally has rounded edges which helps clearance), as well as some material removal from the bogie ends.

It's a pity UK manufacturers don't use the NEM standards (and the UK is not a member of MOROP, so no pressure to do so), if they did there would not be height/length and incompatibility issues. Dapol's pocket is I believe intended for Dapol NEM couplers (which are still tension locks). Not those from the likes of Kadee or Bachmann.

I have some Dapol wagons somewhere, I'll go find and have a look.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel. Thank you again, if I had the experience of working with plastic over many years? it might be worth "having a go", it is just taking the first steps or "Hacks" that worries me. Although I will have to do it, I could try one of the "Non Sound"  loco's first ? all the best. Kevin

Staying on the thread Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
My trick with those loose "fishtails" for the pockets is to put a very small blob of Blu-tack or, even better, the black mastic I use for sound installations. This still allows the coupling and its pocket to be removed if necessary, but stops it dropping out unexpectedly.

Nigel is right about the thin plastic hinges occasionally wearing and breaking, although I haven't had many let go. They are cheap enough and easy to replace.

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire

Posted
Rating:
Hi Jeff. Thanks again, The trouble I had with tension lock couplers was that the hooks fell off, giving me the incentive to go for Kadee in the first instance. But, and there is always a but? It is just getting around to it and summoning up the pluck to do the "Hacking", I have more excuses than experience with plastic models, Die Cast might have been easier?
all the best. Kevin

Staying on the thread Kevin.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.