Everything Bachmann

Posted
Rating:
#216633 (In Topic #11834)

Modern Image mismatch

Hi All              Now I may be incorrect?? But I was looking at my Bachmann Catalogue Modern Image, I noticed two very smart 66's66065 32-737 and 66-040 32-773 both in the EWS livery, Really representing today's railway. But, they were fitted with tension lock couplings, nothing wrong with that? except for the fact that the EWS Wagons available, the Mega Box 38-243 and Low Sided Box Wagon38-245 A have what appears to be(unless it is my eyesight??) a Kadee look alike coupler, all the best  Kevin

Staying on the thread Kevin.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
The fitted couplers would be Bachmann EZ-mate ****  which are plug in & I think the box would contain the plug version of tension locks but if not, then Bachmann do have plug in Tension Tension locks 36-027, 36-036, 36-064 and 36-061 for versions.

**** E-Z Mate® Couplers : Bachmann Trains Online Store

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Your right Kevin, looks like Bachmann E-Z Mate couplings on the Wagons :hmm

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron                   Thank you for your reply, that is very good of Bachmann, but I don't suppose they are magnetic then?? like Kadee ,                                               all the best  Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed                Thank you for your reply, it would be to much to hope for, Kadee, that is. But we can live in Hope?? After all most of the Model Trains on the market are made in China.                  all the best  Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
Hi Ron                   Thank you for your reply, that is very good of Bachmann, but I don't suppose they are magnetic then?? like Kadee ,                                               all the best  Kevin

Kevin, from the link I supplied

To install E-Z Mate® and E-Z Mate® Mark II couplers, just remove the coupler pocket cover, drop in the coupler, and replace the cover. Operation is simple as well. E-Z Mate® and E-Z Mate® Mark II  couplers operate with a standard metal “glad hand” and under-track  magnet, and they are completely compatible with all magnetically  operated knuckle couplers currently on the market. (Our under-track  magnet comes with a trackside brakeman figure to indicate the magnet’s  position.)  Coupling, uncoupling, and other yard operations are all performed with ease.

All of the various Kadee 
clones that turned up after the patent ran out on Kadee,
such as McHenry/ Bachamnn EZ mate;,
Intermountain.  they now dropped their coupler & use Kadee
Accumate Accurail Accumate Coupling System

are designed to work with Kadee & magnetically

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron.  Thank you again, I will have to take a look and see what's available .   all the best. Kevin

Last edit: by Passed Driver

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

Kadee couplers are made in the USA. In my experience better than the clones. Especially the fine scale ones. Scharfenburg or Deliner couplers could also be used (a number of the class were fitted with these).  Hornby International do Scharfenburg couplers in HO.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel. Thank you for your reply. I have purchased some Kadee 17's from Hattons and they fit DAPOL wagons, here's the thing for some reason at one end only, when I pulled the "Tension Lock" out, the 17's "Click in" at one end of the wagon okay and remain a snug fit, but just slip out at the other end. They seem to be the correct height for the Kadee gauge as well. As for Bachmann, that is another story, I have a Bachmann tanker where the coupler mount is attached with a screw, my club secretary said the tension lock will "just lever out with a small screwdriver"?? I'm sure that he will be willing to demonstrate that , next time I see him, but I cannot do it. And the Loco's are another story, once all the wagons are converted? I could be lazy and go for the easy option and buy a "Shunters Truck" and fit a Kadee at one end only, but that wouldn't be any good for the puzzle layout. Which would mean "hacking around"? With the Loco's? and I would rather no do that after having had them fitted with sound, unless of course I could find an experienced modeller who is willing to do the job for a fee? all the best. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Interesting Kevin.

I've always had problems fitting Kadees to Dapol wagons.  All my Dapol stock has those horrible huge T/L couplings.  Have they changed recently ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
I have tried the Bachmann couplers but they tend to be a little more flexible in the vertical direction than genuine Kadees. This flexing can cause problems on uneven track, or, in my case, with long loads behind them using the longer versions of the couplings (on Hornby's newer Pullman coaches). I found that with six Pullmans on, they were OK but nine cars caused the leading ones to uncouple. Kadees don't exhibit this problem.

The other problem is with some of their wagons, and all of their mark 1 coaches having the pockets mounted too high. This is Ok within a fixed rake of one type, but causes a big mismatch in heights when mixing stock. I mix mark 1 and mark 2 coaches so the tension locks have t stay, with the cranked versions adjusting the height. Likewise with my earlier release Esso TTA wagons (later releases have corrected the height of the pockets).

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire

Posted
Rating:
Hi Petermac.  Thank you for your reply. Being a Prodigal "Railway" Son, so to speak, I purchased all my wagons and vans in 2015 so I don't know anything about the intervening years and the T/ L couplings . But the annoying thing is, as I wrote to Nigel with my Dapol wagons, one end the Kadee 17 stays put, but pulls out of the other end. And also I am not willing to chance my hand on the Loco's, but, I'm sure if I live long enough to get the job done it would have been worth it. all the best. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Jeff  Thank you for your reply. As I am still on my shunting plank (getting back into the swing of modelling) stage, long trains and inclines don't come into it. But it is the little niggles as I wrote to Petermac, about the Dapol NEM pockets being different at each end of the wagon, maybe the pockets where the Kadee 17's don't stay put, need filing?? just enough for the tails to engage? I really would like to be able to run such long trains, if only??         all the best  Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

DAPOL pockets are often too long for #17 couplers, either trim some off the inside end with a file (probably less than 0.25-0.3 mm) or go to #18's, which have a longer shank. It's possible to remove some material from the shank to make it longer. Or get rid of the pockets and use #5 couplers and gear boxes. Lip service to NEM standards is the problem. Others are just as guilty.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel. Thank you again. I knew that you would have the answer, and it is a pity that I didn't stick with the hobby all the years that I have been travelling half way around the world by train. all the best. Kevin
PS.  Does that include "Hacking at the Locomotive"? Because as I said I would hate to ruin the Bachmann workmanship with my clumsy handiwork

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Going back to Kevin's original query, I've just noticed that the soon to be available 104 Tonne Bulk Coal Hopper Wagon is also fitted with knuckle couplings.

http://www.ehattons.com/107423/Bachmann_Branchline_37_854C_104_Tonne_glw_HTA_Bulk_Coal_Hopper_Wagon_EWS_Weathered/StockDetail.aspx

It's also another  EWS wagon, which appear to be the only Bachmann wagons in the range not fitted with tension locks.

Begs the question why, especially as Kevin points out the EWS locos available from Bachmann have tension locks.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
[user=1338]Ed[/user] wrote:
Going back to Kevin's original query, I've just noticed that the soon to be available 104 Tonne Bulk Coal Hopper Wagon is also fitted with knuckle couplings.

http://www.ehattons.com/107423/Bachmann_Branchline_37_854C_104_Tonne_glw_HTA_Bulk_Coal_Hopper_Wagon_EWS_Weathered/StockDetail.aspx

It's also another  EWS wagon, which appear to be the only Bachmann wagons in the range not fitted with tension locks.

Begs the question why, especially as Kevin points out the EWS locos available from Bachmann have tension locks.

Ed

I guess an e-mail to Bachmann asking them why would be the way to go.

Ron

Posted
Rating:
It's because they are usually in block trains of all the same type of wagon. Bachmann do supply alternative tension lock couplings in the pack.

My usual technique for such block trains, and for fixed rakes of coaches such as te Southern Railway/Region tended to run, is to fit Kadees within the rake, and have tension locks on the outer ends only. That seems to be what Bachmann are encouraging here.

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed.    All these modern era Bachmann wagons are very pretty, but, they don't fit in with my "Transition timeline ". I was pointing out the difference . If only I had enough space for a big layout? I would love to do
a "Time Machine" layout and have a choice of eras.
  all the best. Kevin

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.