Chacewater to Newquay Branch

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
If you've managed to work that out from the signalling diagrams then you are pretty amazing :cool:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Not really,Chris….it says 25 ft x 12 ft.

:hmm
Cheers,John.B.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
John another great set of piccys

The 2 perranporth bech halt piccys have nearly got a piccy of my house in my house is more or less top to left of both piccys built in 1896 so it definately would be in the younger of the 2.

Many of the buildings you see in the picture do still exist but there is obviously a lot more built up around them.

The signalling diagrams Chris posted should be really helpfull to you.

cheers Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I note the "Cornish" spelling on an official document; the St Agnes diagram refers to "Eleectric Train Staff" :oops:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
John, your powers of observation are just stunning!  I have had these diagrams for ever and I have never noticed it gave dimensions of the signal boxes :oops:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Chris,
       I was 3' out in my estimates on the length and breadth of my model,but that was based on those Churchward n gauge windows,which must be slightly larger than they should be!
       The ones in the Ratio signal box kits are larger still.
Needless to say,I won't be starting again….I can live with being a few feet out,and it'll give Mr.Miners the signalman a bit more legroom:lol:.Fact is n gauge is a compromise with 2mm finescale being the real 2mm/1foot scale,so I won't lose any sleep over it.If I were doing it absolutely bob-on finescale,then I'd probably begin again with my own windows,but I'm not that faddy!
      The info on the levers will also come in very handy when I eventually tackle the interior.(but that won't be for some time).:thumbs

Cheers,John.B.

Last edit: by georgejacksongenius

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
John did threaten some time ago to progress to Mitchell & Newlyn Halt but I got bored waiting…

Here it is as seen last week in the pouring rain

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Considering how lightly constructed those stations were it is surprising that so much survives as well as it does to this day.

Wonder if the Helston Railway mob might be talked into a slight extension ….. from Gwinear Road to Chacewater, Perranporth and Newquay ;-)
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
It would be good if they could perhaps reconstruct it or before we know it someone will have scat it down for fun!  Pretty much unchanged since closure 47 years ago at the moment.

The system crashed in the middle of uploading, so here are a few more of the same site

Moving on to Trewrry & Trerice Halt, nothing remained at this site.  Or so we thought when on closer inspection it became evident that the original level crossing gate remained on one side of the road.  Actually the gate is not original but the post and hinges are.

If you look closely you can make out the BR WR lettering.

That is all I have for now, it was raining very heavily by then and almost dark!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Amazing after all these years it still standing. Things where made to last back then.

Nice pics thanks

Phill

Posted
Rating:
Chris T,
          thanks for those piccies…..just the kick up the arse I needed:oops::oops::oops::roll:
I will get back on the job soon,but as you know,I've been a liittle bit occupied in trying to re-create a certain section of that line!:twisted:
         Tomorrow evening,I'll get back on the job and move us all a little bit nearer to Newquay.
(Shocking service this…..its worse than British Rail!!!!)
:pedal:pedal:pedal
(The GWR would've got us there by now….)
:pedal:pedal:pedal

:mutley
Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Well,as promised,here we are…(eventually!!!),at Mitchell & Newlyn.Situated,as per normal for Branch Line Stations and Halts,absolutely nowhere near either place!!:roll:
  This little halt,uncovered by our very own Indiana Jones of the Blue Diesel,was in fact Mk II
The original halt was a very elaborate wooden structure built on stilts,on the opposite very steep side of the hill just a few yards before where this one is now.
  Here is the surviving,simplified concrete platform in its heyday,standing on an embankment close to the spoil heaps of the old East Wheal Rose Mine.Loco no.5515 stands with a train in the late 50s,showing how isolated and far away from either settlement the halt is.The vegetation in Chris's modern photos has yet to take seed and hide the platform and shelter from view.

I have an old photo or two somewhere of the Mk I wooden version,that I will post just as soon as I remember where the heck they are!!!:oops:

Cheers for now,John.B.:thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Good grief, I had no idea it was such a drop down that embankment! The bushes and trees have grown so much you would think it was level at that point.  Good job I did not go too far back to take the picture, I might never have been heard of again :lol:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Nice piccy John

I am actually starting a job within about half a mile of where that little Halt is this week some time.

cheers Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Brian,
       Remember you said you'd get me some pix either side of the bridge at Bollingey?….well I've started building a few versions of the bridge at Perranporth where Station Road ran under the line.
As I can't find any pictures of THAT bridge,other than the remaining abutments,I've decided to do both bridges the same.Problem is the underneath of the arch.
   Is the bridge at Bollingey all stone construction,or is the underside of the bridge done in brick,and how do the courses run?? …….Some I've seen just carry on parrallel up and over,while some I've seen have a diagonal course under the arch.
:hmm
  So….I really could do with those piccies,mate!!!:doublethumb

And if you get them,I promise I'll post a picture of ME with MY Dorky Optivisor????:cool wink

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
John I will investigate during the week and get a few photos i actually have a little job to do during the week which is only 50ft from the Bolingey bridge

cheers Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Good on yer,Mr.Parrott sir!!!
:pathead

Posted
Rating:
Here are some more views of Mitchell & Newlyn (Mk II);

and two that show the undergrowth taking over…….

And two pictures that show the much more elaborate MkI wooden structure,festooned about,presumably with the workers who have just finished building it in 1905,along with their families and pets.The sign at the bottom of the steps in the second pic proudly announces the commencement of steam railcar services from this halt.

Note the more substantial pagoda shelter on stilts…

Last edit: by georgejacksongenius

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
This is a fascinating thread, thanks to everyone.  I remember as a boy in Newquay going for days out by train to Perranporth, at least the boating lake is still there :lol:

The "Friends of the Atlantic Coast Line", a local support group for the Newquay branch line, have produced a DVD of the Chacewater branch.  Details and some clips, are on their website http://www.focal.org.uk/photos.htm
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=200]Christrerise[/user] wrote:
Good grief, I had no idea it was such a drop down that embankment! The bushes and trees have grown so much you would think it was level at that point.  Good job I did not go too far back to take the picture, I might never have been heard of again :lol:

Also with the pic you took Chris i never eealised the curve from the station either. Its quite sharp, next time Chris get a machetti and hack it back to see if the curve is still there will you, :thumbs

Phill
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.