R010

I like that Sol. :thumbs:thumbs

'Petermac
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
[user=606]Sol[/user] wrote:
Some more done - steps take a while as the steps are all individual pieces to be glued.
Bending cardboard into 90 degrees is no fun as the card can split the wrong way - thank heavens for corner  elements

this photo shows where the cabin will be based on Operators viewpoint

so any minor blemish may not get noticed ( hopefully)

Really nice signal box there Sol.

About bending card at a right angle. Blunt scoring down the back can help depending on the thickness of the card but even so, it doesn't always guarantee a nice sharp edge. Cruel world ain't it !

Anyway, what I normaly do is butt join the corners then glue a strip of plastic right angled section ( Evergreen ) down the corner to disguise the join.

Cheers.

Allan.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Nearly finished - chimney pot to paint ; downpipes to add plus some weathering

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
What about the lever frame?

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Yes, close up. one can see into the cabin but from where the Train drivers/Operators stand, it would hardly be seen - in fact the back wall with the bookcase, etc is very hard to see at all.

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
As the cabin is 36"/ 92cm away from viewers, they cannot really see in and as I do not put lights inside buildings, interior detail is lost.

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
basically finished just needs to be bedded into terrain in the fullness of time with junk around as well

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
the boarding looks fine now Ron, a very nice build,
:thumbs;-):cool:
Owen

web-cam 2.2.74.174:8081
if the lights are off no cam

Posted
Rating:
Looks good Sol - nowhere near as "flat" as that first shot from the catalogue. :thumbs

Is the signalman going to get a hand rail on the steps ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
Looks good Sol - nowhere near as "flat" as that first shot from the catalogue. :thumbs  Thanks
Is the signalman going to get a hand rail on the steps ? something I had briefly thought about but will consider it now it has been brought to my attention

Ron

Posted
Rating:
As the cabin is 36"/ 92cm away from viewers, they cannot really see in and as I do not put lights inside buildings, interior detail is lost.
Well, some sharp-eyed ones might be able to, but that's a fair point. However, even under those conditions something that occupies as much space as a lever frame does would have a noticeable silhouette. You could just use lengths cut from paperclips for the levers, and stick them through a bit of card that's been folded and glued into an arch about 1cm long.

Posted
Rating:
That looks great Ron…….I have always been a bit doubtful about this kit but not now I have seen how well you have made it.

I do agree with Peter that the steps need side rails…….I am surprised John didnt include them in the kit. Ratio do two sizes of stanchion which are excellent for this sort of thing……I used them on signals and the engine shed walkway…..I always try and keep a packet in my bits and bobs drawer

Best wishes

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
OK added a side rail

but due to the large solenoids in front, I m not happy with the location .
a bit further to the right but have to angle it

still not enthused so I have this version ( yes USA outline) but as there are so many variations of signal boxes/cabins  in the UK. it may fit in..

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Would it be possible to move one of those solenoids further back from the points, and put the signal box over it?

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
I had thought of raising the box above the solenoids but then the "rodding" would needed to be cranked down to the ground level but as the D&S utilises all point machines / electric methods now of operating the turnouts, that would do but look IMO a tad silly.

Having the solenoids behind the box would have been better ( didn't think of it when I was laying track, etc) but to do it now would mean I have to lift the 3 way turnout from the ballast & add longer rodding as the solenoids are not directly connected to the tiebars but use short rods.

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
I have found a UK signal box that is painted green at the top..
Isfield - Wikipedia

Ron

Posted
Rating:
No time wasting here then Sol……………:shock::shock:

I like that US outline box and I think you're right in moving it away from the solenoids - just as long as the signalman has a clear view of the area he's controlling. :thumbs

Incidentally, I'm sure it doesn't matter about having rodding cranked at the box.  There are boxes mounted on gantries that have wires running down from the high level box to the rodding at ground level so everything is possible. :roll:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Looks much better to me with the pencil scored lines between the planks and I like the neat little hand rail.

Nice work (and quick :shock: ) Sol.

Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
I had thought of raising the box above the solenoids but then the "rodding" would needed to be cranked down to the ground level but as the D&S utilises all point machines / electric methods now of operating the turnouts, that would do but look IMO a tad silly.

Having the solenoids behind the box would have been better ( didn't think of it when I was laying track, etc) but to do it now would mean I have to lift the 3 way turnout from the ballast & add longer rodding as the solenoids are not directly connected to the tiebars but use short rods.
I was talking about putting the signal box over one of the solenoids as a cover. But that does still leave the problem of pulling stuff up.

Posted
Rating:
My goodness that was quick with the handrails Ron……..and very effective.:thumbs

I think its a shame to replace the box…….it looks far more in keeping with the look and feel you have created for the D&S than the US (HO?) unit.

Equally I have no problems with the original siting……in fact it looks more natural in that location by the junction rather than the siding. Sure the solenoids are a little obvious although you have weathered them so they look part of the scenery.

If I were you I would stick with the original .

:cheers

John 

Last edit: by John Dew

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.