Brendan's Workbench.

Posted
Rating:
So how about some progress on the milk van?

I finished up the brake rodding, so al that's missing now on the brake gear front is the vacuum brake cylinder.

I didn't have any spare wheelsets with no axlepoints, and I was reluctant to remove the axlepoints from the spare wheelsets I do have, so instead of a box around the middle of the axle I made extra-roomy axleboxes.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
So, on the decal sheet for the Esso tank wagon, there's a decal that says in red lettering "B.R. TANK WAGON CLASS B". Where is that meant to go, if anywhere? The instructions don't mention it.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Im shocked Brendan   That tanker is plastic  :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :mutley :mutley :mutley

Brian

OO gauge DCC ECOS Itrain 4 computer control system

Posted
Rating:
Oi, I do work with plastic models too!  exclam:

Now, if'n's you're quite done being a smart alec, have you got any advice on that decal?  :tongue

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
:hmm Well unfortunately the best i can come up with about where the decal goes is on the tanker somewhere.

Which i realise is absolutely no help whatsoever :lol:

Brian

Posted
Rating:
No worries. Hopefully someone will have an answer before I go and do something daft

Posted
Rating:
[user=2137]Briperran[/user] wrote:
:hmm Well unfortunately the best i can come up with about where the decal goes is on the tanker somewhere.

Which i realise is absolutely no help whatsoever :lol:

Brian
I'm with Brian on this.  I have googled images.  It was clearly a particular class of wagon, but I haven't seen it written on any actual models, or real wagons….Someone will know, I'm sure

Michael

Posted
Rating:
"Airfix tank wagon oo" images.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Research and input from people has confirmed that despite being on the decal sheet that particular label isn't actually meant to go anywhere.
And now, more progress on the Skarloey Railway coaches!

Painting on the bodies of coaches 1 through 3 is underway.

I have finished up painting the chassis for coaches 1 through 4.

And, as you could probably tell from the previous photo, the body for coach no. 4 has been fully painted, and glazed, and glued to the chassis. It still needs some work - I still need to do the frames for the door windows, and to finish painting the roof.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Coming on really well there Brendan.

What type of paint do you find works well when painting on card Brendan?

Brian

Posted
Rating:
Thanks.
 And I just use the same cheap craft store acrylics I use for everything else; they seem to work fine. The main brands I use are Craft Smart and Apple Barrel.

EDIT: By the way, guess what's finally had its decals applied?

Yep, the Airfix Esso Class B tank wagon. Only had a couple hiccups with them.

Last edit: by ZeldaTheSwordsman

Posted
Rating:
With the tanker decaled, I've since been working on painting the details and weathering it. I've also painted the decorative screw-link couplings and dry-fitted them,as a placeholder while the tanker waits for me to do up some operating couplers for it.

Finally made a vacuum brake cylinder for the milk van chassis, completing the brake gear at long last. I also added the two remaining journals it needed and finished the buffers, and have started painting it. I've been painting the body too. Going to need a good way to whomp up some milk churns soon.

I've also gotten the other three Skarloey Railway coaches painted up pretty much to my satisfaction, and have started glazing them.

Posted
Rating:
Haven't made too much further progress on the milk van and Skarloey Railway coaches. However, I do have something to report.
An Airfix 14xx, which shall become my model of Oliver. I will strip off the BR lining and emblems, and the numbering, and give it GWR shirtbutton emblems and renumber it to 1436 with transfers and plates from Fox. I also want to add auto-gear to it. Where all sells auto-gear detailing parts?

Posted
Rating:
Well, um. I at least have some progress on the milk siphon:

I've also been making progress on my Airfix level crossing. Is this coloration for the cobblestones remotely realistic?

I've also acquired a Bachmann 2-10-4. Runs but needs a tender

Posted
Rating:
Cobblestones tend to be a dark grey as they are usually granite.

Oh, and by the way, the decal that you mention on the tank wagon kit is just the description of the kit, most airfix kits have the kit description on the decal sheet, I think its just so you know which kit they belong to.

I find it useful as I will build a few kits then dump the packaging, then they will be painted and decaled as a batch when I get the airbush out.

Cheers

Andy

Posted
Rating:
Huh, I thought they had a lot more variance than that… I guess maybe it's different in the UK

Posted
Rating:
Red, pink, rose, all common forms of granite. Check the web for red granite.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
[user=1632]BCDR[/user] wrote:
Red, pink, rose, all common forms of granite. Check the web for red granite.

Nigel
Thanks for the tip
Progress

Posted
Rating:
Wow, been over a year since I updated… Oops.
Well, most noteworthy thing I have to add is progress on my book/RWS-style coaches for Thomas. Started that from scratch a while back using the lessons learned in making the Skarloey Railway coaches.

They're at least halfway done construction-wise, I'd say. I've got all panel detailing applied, and I've been building up the  roofs. Probably going to add another layer before adding the ventilators  and rain strakes.
I've also been building up the chassis for Clarabel.  Couldn't get the side sills as thin as I'd like with the balsa I have,  so she unfortunately has to ride a little high to let the bogies turn  freely enough.

EDIT: Updated with the signboards redacted

Last edit: by ZeldaTheSwordsman

Posted
Rating:
  Hi Brendan,

Nice coaches, your practice has certainly paid off.

Could you please remove the photos containing the offensive ‘Death to …’ slogans from our peaceful and friendly model railway forum? You have made it clear that this is not a joke, but your personal protest against  Deviant Art, so you should give them the your feedback, not us.

Many thanks and regards,

Bill  

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.