Brake vans

Posted
Rating:
With old kits, such as the original Airfix models, the white decals have often gone yellow. I read on another forum that a way around this is to place them on a window sill in direct sunlights and after a while they will go white once more. Not sure how long this takes - or where you find direct sunlight as I have not seen any for months!

Bob
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
That's what retirement is all about Bob ………….looking for the sunshine. :thumbs

You're right Doug - the depth of knowledge and experience on YMR is amazing.  There's almost nothing that someone on here hasn't either done or seen done.  99.9% of queries are answered, and answered correctly, before too long.  Beats magazines hands down and the best bit - it's answered for free !!!  :cheers  Without these resources, I suspect many of us would have given up long ago. 

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Here's a shot of the underside of my brake van (the bit nobody ever sees …………;-)).

The Kadee No 5 with draft gearbox sits level with the underside of the buffer beam.  The wheels came with the kit - 3 hole discs and no brass bearings.  Not sure if disc wheels were fitted to earlier versions of the real brake van and I may fit some top-hat bearings later.  I can imagine the sharp axle ends will soon drill through the plastic. :roll:

This is the rather unattractive "box art" on the header card.  It doesn't look half as attractive as the shot on the old Airfix version from Terry - a pity they no longer go that extra few inches to make it more interesting but that, they say, is called "progress". :cry:

It seems this may have originated from Kitmaster rather than Airfix but I thought Kitmaster were mainly coach models …………..:hmm

As an aside, and specially for Rick, it does show the lamp formation I used :mutley

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Kitmaster came first Petermac. They did a whole range of loco, coach & wagon kits of not only British subjects but some foreign ones as well. The parent company was Palitoy. They sold the tooling to Airfix who marked them with the Airfix brand and added the buildings etc. into a Lineside Range. When Airfix packed up they sold some of better tooling to Dapol who resurrected them under their branding and also as Kitmaster/Dapol as we see today. The coach kits that Dapol now issue were again originally Airfix then to Mainline and now back to Dapol. Life gets complicated don't it. The old Kitmaster Beyer-Garret kit for the LMS version now sells for about a £100 in unopened condition, and the Swiss Crocodile sells well to. They also did a range in TT gauge and some of those really go for a premium.

I'm old, that's why I'm allowed to change my mind, when I can find it.

My Website: index

Posted
Rating:
The couplings look neat Peter.

New transfers for the Airfix/Dapol kits are available here:

http://www.parksidedundas.co.uk/acatalog/Minipacks_for_Airfix_Wagons.html

or here:

http://www.modelmasterdecals.com/index.php

or here:

http://www.cctrans.org.uk/

Out of interest, I notice that there is an article in the latest Hornby magazine relating to making a fleet of Airfix/Dapol Presflow wagons.

Terry

Last edit: by col.stephens

Posted
Rating:
Nice work. Goes to show that a budget model like that, even one with a worn tooling, can end up looking and running quite nicely with a bit of effort and little to no extra expense save that of the paint you'd be buying as a modeller anyway.

Also, British makers must have higher standards for their kits than American makers - Kits made by our companies often have flash like that (and worse) when the toolings are new!
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.