Cutting Arches the easy way

Posted
Rating:

An easier way to cut curved shapes in 2mm card.

Their site doesn't say they do mail order Keith - at least, not as far as I can tell.

It's a "noxious substance" so I suspect it might only be available via their retailers ………………..:roll::roll:

'Petermac
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Peter.
               I'm just judging from Allan Downse's comment in post 18,- don't think Allan would travel from Immingham to Alfreton for a pot or two of superglue despite how much He probably gets through! I'd imagine that Eurocell would use a courier rather than Royal Mail. They are plastic window/conservatory manufacturers, and I understood them to be "trade only" suppliers, as they do have a "Trade Counter". I have no problem in obtaining Isopropanol in 1 litre bottles via courier, and I doubt RM would ship that stuff either. Incidentally, I've also had plastic sections in packs from one of the Chinese sellers on Eebygum, no funny shapes like the ones pictured, so I guess some sellers are more honest than others.
                                                                       Keith.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=1739]16A[/user] wrote:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote: 
  Also, what do you use to stick the styrene to card ? 
Petermac.

Try 'Roket' card glue. Not the cheapest glue on the market but it sticks card to styrene, card to most plastics, it's also like an instant glue for card to card.

Consistency and the look of dilute PVA and, in use, is like PVA but with the quickness of superglue - almost instant.

Product description here;- https://www.deluxematerials.co.uk/gb/scale-plastics/50-roket-card-glue-5060243900401.html?search_query=card+glue&results=5

:thumbs:thumbs

"Roket" card glue - I purchased some yesterday & I am impressed with the speed of setting while working on my Metcalfe conversion

A$15 for 50 ml but you do not need much.

Where I purchased it from, they also had 3 different types of Roket Supa glue
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roket-Cyano-Glue-Thin-Superglue/dp/B0047YMZLC

I didn't buy my Roket though from Amazon but a local shop at the model rail exhibition this weekend here in Adelaide.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
[user=1427]allan downes[/user] wrote:
However, 50 gram bottles of model shop superglue will knock you back six to eight quid depending on who's the greediest but I can get SILVERCILL thick, medium or thin (now medium or thick) industrial grade  superglue at £2.25 a 50g bottle (now £2:75) manufactured by EUROCELL BUILDING PLASTICS, BIRCHWOOD WAY, ALFRETON,  DERBYSHIRE DE55 4QQ or go to their website.

Their 200ml cans of SUPERGLUE ACTIVATOR also comes at the same price as the glue (now £3:25) and not ten quid a can from your friendly little model shop man who picks it up wholesail  from the manfacturers in his Ferrari !

Cheers.

Allan.

Allan.

Most liquids usually come in 'millilitre' sized quantities. How does their 50 gram compare to 50ml ? Does it give you more than 50ml or less - do you think?

PS: I've taken the liberty of updating their prices as of today… and here's their web link for anyone else interested in saving some money…
http://www.eurocell.co.uk/sealants-and-fixings/glues
Eurocell also have many trade/retail outlets where you can buy their products… so no postage…
Hope you don't mind…..

Hi  Mike, sorry I'm so late in answering your post but I've only just found it !

The 50gram bottles I get are the same size as those you can get in most model shops and I do believe that 50 gram bottles are the largest in superglue that you can buy and the quantity restricted for obvious reasons - such as with the potential damage that could be caused if some idiot threw a bucket of the stuff over you just because he didn't like you !

Cheers.

Allan

Posted
Rating:
Hi Allen

Can I ask for a link please to the '200 stanley blades' for a fiver on E-Bay; I looked through in vain!

Prices may have gone up - the only large quantity ones are 100s in yellow plastic carriers at £6.50 with free post.

Yours Peter.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
[user=625]peterbunce[/user] wrote:
Hi Allen

Can I ask for a link please to the '200 stanley blades' for a fiver on E-Bay; I looked through in vain!

Prices may have gone up - the only large quantity ones are 100s in yellow plastic carriers at £6.50 with free post.

Yours Peter.

Hi Peter.

I only got a box of them just this week so they must still be available so just google - ' Trimming kinife blades Ebay' or even 'Draper trimming knife blades Ebay' and you should find them.

If not, let me know and I'll go and search for you.

Edited to say just been to the sight, here's the link.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=trimming+knife+blades

Edited again to say prices seem to have shot up but here's a 100 draper blades for about 12 quid.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Knives-Draper-Hand-Tools/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A1938925031%2Cp_4%3ADraper
Allan.

Just found these also on ebay -

SHEFFIELD REPLACEMENT HEAVY DUTY UTILITY BLADES FOR KNIFE TRIMMING CUT

£6.95
Buy it now

Free P&P

• 65+ watching
  • |
  • 217+ sold
[/*]
These utility blades are made from Sheffield steel to the highest quality. This is the most popular blade. The heavy duty straight has two notches and fits all the standard utility knives in the trade…

Last edit: by allan downes

Posted
Rating:
16A
Legacy Member
…..and yet another link for those unable to get superglue through the post…

This company ships around the world… trade and retail…

Look at their £19.98 offer… three 20gm bottles plus a free bottle of 'de-bonder'…

http://www.powerbonduk.com/product-details.html

Last edit: by 16A

Mike

Praise is an excellent fillip for waning ambition.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member

Look at their £19.98 offer… three 20gm bottles plus a free bottle of 'de-bonder'…

I pay £2.75 for a 50 gm bottle from Eurocel. No contest

Allan.

Posted
Rating:
16A
Legacy Member

Allan.
I agree Allan, but how much is it per bottle when you include travelling from Immingham to Alfreton and back, must be a 180 mile round trip and 3 or 4 hours lost time?

My post was to try and help those who were having difficulty in obtaining from a supplier who wouldn't or couldn't post it…..

Mike

Praise is an excellent fillip for waning ambition.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for your time, alan I will have a look for those.

Much obliged!

Yours Peter.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member

Allan.
I agree Allan, but how much is it per bottle when you include travelling from Immingham to Alfreton and back, must be a 180 mile round trip and 3 or 4 hours lost time?

My post was to try and help those who were having difficulty in obtaining from a supplier who wouldn't or couldn't post it…..

There's a Eurocel outlet in Scunthorpe about a 30 mile all motorway round trip in North East almost non existant traffic. To make the trip worth while I buy 24 bottles of glue and 6 cans of superglue activator  about every 4 months or so. In a road lethal S class 500 V eight Benz I'm back home within the hour and 3 points on my licence.  In the wifey's Fiesta it's a night out and a weeks convalescence… (so I send her! )

Cheers.

Allan. 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Guys
Just to get back to topic Here are my arch and circle cutters:-

From the back they are Silhouette Portrait, Rotary hole punch, Circle cutter from local cheapo market stall (£1.99) and a set of 1960s school compasses with a blade glued into a pencil stub.
The Silhouette is the best for arches and larger circles. The hole punch produces lights for my trams when I use silver backed card, currently a toothpaste tube, the red trammel device is OK providing you can hold the workpiece steady and don't mind a hole in the centre of your circle and the compasses are the same but harder to set.
If you want a drill operated device you need to look for a "tank cutter" which is just another name for a trammel cutter and normaly used by plumbers etc. Hole saws are good as well providing you want one of their fixed sizes and don't object to a hole in the middle.
Only ones which produce solid discs are the Silhouette and the hole punch.

Various sized hole cutters.

Last edit: by The Bankie

Because, except in some unfortunate circumstances, trains did not run on town centre streets

Posted
Rating:
Has anyone tried a very hot circle of, say, tinplate for plasticard?

Doug

(Posting from deepest darkest Brittany…everything comes with cream  and butter,  including the cream and butter! )

Last edit: by Chubber

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I use a pair of steel dividers and just keep turning  until the center of the circle drops out clean resulting in a perfect, non fuzz, circle. This will even work cutting through Wills 80thou thick stone sheets with apparent ease but do mark out and cut from the back.

I do have example pics but these days nothing uploads onto the forum.

Allan

Last edit: by allan downes

Posted
Rating:
Hi Doug
You said
Has anyone tried a very hot circle of, say, tinplate for plasticard?
IF you can find a tin of the correct circumference, hold it down with a screwdriver with a WOODEN handle and heat it with a low setting from a gas torch You get your circle. For a norman arch you can put a dent in the edge and deform the lip and squeeze to the correct profile.
You can (ouch, sorry) hold down and heat at the same time with a soldering iron if you have a couple of days to spare.:shock::shock:
Heating up off the job works as well but you need to get it exactly aligned.
You will also need to file off the ridge round the edge unless you scribe a decorative moulding into it.

Have smelly fun:mrgreen:.

Regards
Jim

Because, except in some unfortunate circumstances, trains did not run on town centre streets

Posted
Rating:
Sorry for late reply, Jim, so it's not impossible! [Just very antisocial]

Doug

[Now in Bridgwater UK…..quite the international jet-setter these days]

D

Last edit: by Chubber

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Hi Doug
You said

Code

Sorry for late reply, Jim, so it's not impossible! [Just very antisocial]
. Yes it will reek :oops:
However replies can never be late, Merely delayed :cool:

Jim

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.