Cutting Arches the easy way

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member

An easier way to cut curved shapes in 2mm card.

[user=1397]Dorsetmike[/user] wrote:
Some of the Chinese based Ebay shops have plastic tube and rod, square and round in sizes from about 1mm up to 10mm mostly in 50mm lengths, in bulk packs, example

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/48-x-Styrene-ABS-Rod-Pipes-and-Square-Sections-ABS00-/160550503742?hash=item25618e453e

Just bought loads !!
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Is the "Krazy Glue" brand of superglue available in the UK? The small squirt tubes with a fine conical tip (they come in a larger storage tube with a red cap) are fairly reliable in my experience, usually don't dry out unless they sit unused for ages after first getting opened. Keeping them in the storage tube helps. You might sometimes need a longer needle than the one on the provided pushpin/applicator to get it flowing again, though.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
 Stanley knife blades.

Dearest and worst ? Stanley's own. Absolute crap. Absolute ripp off at something like a fiver for ten.

Best blades by far ? Draper. Sheffield Steel. 200 for a fiver, Ebay.Repeat. 200 for a fiver, Ebay.

Also, 100 prieser quality O guage or OO painted figures standing, seated, etc from China - a fiver. Again, Ebay.

Know what's out there. Cut your modelling costs drastically. Shop around on the Web.

Allan

Last edit: by allan downes

Posted
Rating:
[user=1427]allan downes[/user] wrote:
[user=1397]Dorsetmike[/user] wrote:
Some of the Chinese based Ebay shops have plastic tube and rod, square and round in sizes from about 1mm up to 10mm mostly in 50mm lengths, in bulk packs, example

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/48-x-Styrene-ABS-Rod-Pipes-and-Square-Sections-ABS00-/160550503742?hash=item25618e453e

Just bought loads !!

Well I wish you luck.

My [single] pack arrived last week, herewith a picture of the square sections enclosed, I could do better with a bit of wood and smoothing plane…

Also several of the tube and rods have a pronounced seam and some are noticeably oval.

Waste of money IMO, I rarely use plastic section, when I do, I do so for precise sharp corners and trueness, caveat emptor indeed.

Doug

PS  On the subject of blades and in the light of the above….

These are almost surgically sharp, carbon steel and last me three times as long as ordinary blades. For the amount I use in card, they are well worth it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ABB-10B-EXCEL-BLACK-BLADES-ULTRA/dp/B00I1XCNYE/ref=pd_sim_60_12?ie=UTF8&dpID=41-qKq9YjaL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=14T72E0QPDA5JNX98ARS

They do however rust slightly if left wet, say, if you splash with watercolour/water

These are the dog's doo-dahs for cutting curves in card, very little raised edges to the cut

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SAB-10-BLADES-STAINLESS-STEEL-GRAPHIC/dp/B008PE92WK/ref=pd_sim_60_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=41RxCxfh23L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0D7MHP1J928QTEY32GGH

With blades, there is no 'one size fits all' and   I am fortunate enough to have the time and a little spare cash to be choosy.

Last edit: by Chubber

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Amazon won't ship to Australia.    :twisted:

Posted
Rating:
I use a Swann Morten scalpel for most of my "accurate" card cutting.  I buy their No 11 blades (unsterilised) online, by the 100 pack,  for around 1.5p each …………  I think the last lot of 100 cost me £12 odd.  There is of course, postage on top but that goes for all online purchases.

I'll give those Olfa blades a go for my "snap-off" knife Doug but I won't rush into the chinese plastic rod ……………..:roll::roll::roll:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
Bit :off topic but out of interest, what's the reason for that Max ?

Ed

Posted
Rating:
[user=1338]Ed[/user] wrote:

Ed

Aus won't let them get away with their system of tax avoidance, perhaps??

D

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=312]Chubber[/user] wrote:
[user=1338]Ed[/user] wrote:

Ed

Aus won't let them get away with their system of tax avoidance, perhaps??

D
How could you possibly think such a thing Doug

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Amazon's retail outlets have blocked us from dealing direct.

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
  My [single] pack arrived last week, herewith a picture of the square sections enclosed, I could do better with a bit of wood and smoothing plane…      Also several of the tube and rods have a pronounced seam and some are noticeably oval.      Waste of money IMO, I rarely use plastic section, when I do, I do so for precise sharp corners and trueness, caveat emptor indeed.    Doug

Must say I've never had any problems like that, maybe different shop, there are a few out there.

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:
Hi Perry,

Neat. How about a circular saw blade? That way you couild have the card on a piece of wood and njust cut straight through.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Useful stuff lads. Now to hunt for a bulk supplier of super glue in Aus.

Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Is it me or is a reply I briefly looked at last night missing? It concerned the choice of blades…….

Doug

Posted
Rating:
Your memory is probably better than mine Doug but I often can't remember who posted what, where.

Maybe if there is a post missing, the poster will shout out. :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Looks all there to me Doug.

Post 23 by Allan? Draper blades, Sheffield steel, on eBay?

Cheers

Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
16A
Legacy Member
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote: 
  Also, what do you use to stick the styrene to card ? 
Petermac.

Try 'Roket' card glue. Not the cheapest glue on the market but it sticks card to styrene, card to most plastics, it's also like an instant glue for card to card.

Consistency and the look of dilute PVA and, in use, is like PVA but with the quickness of superglue - almost instant.

Product description here;- https://www.deluxematerials.co.uk/gb/scale-plastics/50-roket-card-glue-5060243900401.html?search_query=card+glue&results=5

:thumbs:thumbs

Mike

Praise is an excellent fillip for waning ambition.

Posted
Rating:
16A
Legacy Member
[user=1427]allan downes[/user] wrote:
However, 50 gram bottles of model shop superglue will knock you back six to eight quid depending on who's the greediest but I can get SILVERCILL thick, medium or thin (now medium or thick) industrial grade  superglue at £2.25 a 50g bottle (now £2:75) manufactured by EUROCELL BUILDING PLASTICS, BIRCHWOOD WAY, ALFRETON,  DERBYSHIRE DE55 4QQ or go to their website.

Their 200ml cans of SUPERGLUE ACTIVATOR also comes at the same price as the glue (now £3:25) and not ten quid a can from your friendly little model shop man who picks it up wholesail  from the manfacturers in his Ferrari !

Cheers.

Allan.

Allan.

Most liquids usually come in 'millilitre' sized quantities. How does their 50 gram compare to 50ml ? Does it give you more than 50ml or less - do you think?

PS: I've taken the liberty of updating their prices as of today… and here's their web link for anyone else interested in saving some money…
http://www.eurocell.co.uk/sealants-and-fixings/glues
Eurocell also have many trade/retail outlets where you can buy their products… so no postage…
Hope you don't mind…..

Mike

Praise is an excellent fillip for waning ambition.

Posted
Rating:
Before I retired, my work base was a few hundred yards from the Eurocell factories in Alfreton, but I didn't know they did mail order superglue! As I don't use large quantities, I find that you can buy a pack of 8 tubes of superglue for a pound if you you have a branch of the B & M. chain nearby. (We presently have 2 branches in Alfreton). If you store your opened tube cap upwards, and ensure there is no glue left in the nozzle after use, then it seems to last ok with no problems. Obviously if you use superglue in the amounts that Allan does, then Eurocell will be cheaper.
                                             Keith.

Last edit: by Keith M

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.