Claus
www.flickr.com/photos/ellef/
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
A good run Dave. Cameras can be quite cruel a times....

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
A super video - I watched the lot.  What a wonderful space you I have.  I would be envious, but then I think of all that rail painting and ballasting!!  I wouldn't know where to begin, but you have created a really interesting track plan.
Michael

Posted
Rating:
Other projects are currently on hold again pending SWMBO having time to sort out colours etc given I am a bit challenged in that department. I am looking for some thoughts on station buildings. I had an old Metcalfe kit made up (pic 1) which I was thinking of using but it seems a bit overshadowed by the canopy etc. With that in mind I have designed my own based on a download I did (pic 2). I am not sure about the canopy, I think it may be better coming out further to allow cars to go under it and with some fancy columns. I was also envisaging an additional tower attached as shown, so covering the centre windows, with a clock on each face at the top. Any thoughts/suggestions much appreciated.

Posted
Rating:
With that wonderful canopy and all the hard work that went into it, I would definitely go with something bespoke.  Your grander design is much better.  I'm not entirely convinced by the canopy on the building, I think having a grand entrance, rather than something hidden by a roof, might give a more striking impression. Of course, your canopy and pillars might provide that too, do you have anything prototypical in mind?
Michael 

Posted
Rating:
[user=1512]Headmaster[/user] wrote:
With that wonderful canopy and all the hard work that went into it, I would definitely go with something bespoke.  Your grander design is much better.  I'm not entirely convinced by the canopy on the building, I think having a grand entrance, rather than something hidden by a roof, might give a more striking impression. Of course, your canopy and pillars might provide that too, do you have anything prototypical in mind?
Michael 
I agree with Michael. The entrance needs to be very grand. Extending the canopy will help, maybe with a clock face at the top.

Cheers,
Claus
www.flickr.com/photos/ellef/

Posted
Rating:
Hi Dave

I agree with your conclusion, that splendid overall roof requires an equally splendid set of buildings to announce the arrival of the railway in Tinkers End (not sure if that name is best suited for the splendour of the terminus? :hmm)

The canopy would have been called a porte cochere and been designed to protect Victorian ladies in crinolines as they alighted from horse drawn carriages and cabs. It should definitely overhang the street entrance.

The finish of the building with all the requisite neo classical and gothic trimmings is important. The Metcalfe building captures that look rather well but, as you rightly say, is too small. I wonder if the solution might be to kit bash two of the station plus perhaps elements of their dept. store which is in the same style?

Alternatively, if you like Scalescene it might be worth checking out- Granby's station is a kit bash of their Large and Medium station kits complete with clock tower.

Best wishes

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Well, given the almost constant rain here in Spain, I have been getting on with a mk.2 version of the new station building. I have basically removed a load of the windows as I thought there was far to many and also made them a little smaller. The clock tower will have two clock faces and have a light for night time illumination, it will also have something on top like a weather vane (I am sort of basing it on pictures I have seen of the clock at Kings Cross station). The canopy is the size I am now planning on making, based on previous comments, but I do intend it to be mainly glazed.

Posted
Rating:
A good decision on the windows, Dave, and it already has a grand appearance.  I am assuming it is laser cut - what is it made from?  MDF?  Will you be finishing it with brick/stone paper?
Michael

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for the comment Michael. Yes, this time I have cut the main walls from 2mm MDF with the laser cutters I have. I think a brick paper would be best although I will have a look at what downloaded "to print" stuff I have. There is a print shop in town who I email what I want and he prints it for me on very thin paper, which is ideal for wrapping buildings with. I even managed to get the bigger laser cutter to chew through 2mm MDF but it's not pretty. I have just ordered a replacemt laser head so hopefully that will improve the situation. I am also having a play at laser engraving brick/stone on buildings. I started with an engine shed but I think that is a bit big for a first attempt so I will put it on hold and drag out a shed design I did some time ago and do a version of that. Times running out though, them new Deltics are going to be here soon I understand - unless there is another delay.

Posted
Rating:
That looks amazing and will really look the part once your Deltics arrive!

Posted
Rating:
Ok so SWMBO hasn't had time to help out with colours and stuff just yet on other projects so I have been having a play. I watch a certain company who do demos on a Wednesday morning, they recently built some little lineside structures, and I thought maybe I could design and make something similar.

So here is what I have done

A couple of single storey buildings for business (at the back), a couple of lineside stores and a lineside hut. All are basically 2mm MDF which is laser cut with brickwork engraving. Mr.D. has a smooth front panel so I can cover it an a wrap to reprersent a rendered finish. It doesn't half take the laser engraver/cutter a long time to do them though so the bigger engine shed project may be a non-starter.

In other news, the more powerful and hopefully better laser module has arrived and is on the workbench for fitting to the bigger laser. This will enable a couple of other projects to make some progress. It just wasn't worth trying with the current laser head.

The final bit of news is that Accurascale have announced the new Deltics are now on the high seas and on there way. I did say building works would be put on a back burner when they arrived so I better get a move on. Stay safe and enjoy the hobby.

Posted
Rating:
They look great Dave.  :thumbs

A question for you - windows ?  What are they made of and where do you source them ?  Did you cut them on your laser or are they purchased ?

As I'm sure you remember, you kindly sent me a row of houses for my "slope".  I've had to modify them a bit - they were too deep for my site so have done away with the kitchen extensions and turned them into house fronts instead. 

I'll need to fit windows but I don't think they're an "off the peg" size and marking glazing bars on film at that scale isn't my thing !!!   :oops:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for the comments Peter. As you may have already guessed, the windows shown are all cut on the laser from some very thin wood I managed to obtain. In the summer I am travelling back to England and should be able to source some 0.8mm Laserboard which will make the whole thing easier and a bit more robust

I am quite happy to cut you some windows from the wood I have or from 1mm card but I think they will get damaged in the post but we could give it a go. Alternatively, if there is no rush and you around early August, I could possibly arrange to drop them off on our way up to the ferry.

Posted
Rating:
Sorry for the late reply Dave - it was on the list but Liz got her list in first ……. :roll:

I'm actually not in any rush for windows, I have lots to do before I can use the houses.

Either risk the post - the houses arrived in perfect shape or, if you're doing a home run in August, you'd be more than welcome to break your journey here.  Our world cruise could wait until September ………. :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
HI Dave,

Just caught up with your great video of your  layout which I loved - I'm very jealous of the space you have!.
Plenty of scope for RR&Co !

Dave
Notmutley
British OO outline, DCC - NCE PowerPro, Sound chips, Computer Control- RR&Co software

Posted
Rating:
Hi all. Just thought I would post my progress in another area. Whilst I was working on the new station building I thought I would position the camera in it that will show me what is happening in the station. Here is the first trial. There is a train, on the wrong tracks I know, but it does come along. The station still has to have pillars on to the platforms fitted and lighting but I couldn't resist a quick trial.

https://youtu.be/AP61WYhLZHM

The other mainline station now has train announcements but I'll save a preview of those until another day.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
If there were people on the platforms, one would think it was real.... good job Dave

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
[user=606]Sol[/user] wrote:
If there were people on the platforms, one would think it was real…. good job Dave

That was my first thought -

Great modelling Dave :thumbs

Dave
Notmutley
British OO outline, DCC - NCE PowerPro, Sound chips, Computer Control- RR&Co software

Posted
Rating:
Wow !  That's so realistic Dave.  Amazing work.   :pathead

Looking forward to more installments.  :thumbs

'Petermac
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.