Tinkers End

Posted
Rating:

East Coast Main Line - in the sun

The termperatures are actually quite normal for this time of year so you just adapt. I thankfully took the advice I was given and did my research before laying the track and made sure the expansion gaps were not forgotten. So far, touch wood, thinks seem to be ok. I had some Spanish friends round on Friday night who hadn't seen the layout and wer very impressed. They suggested I contact the local school as they feel sure some of the kids would find it interesting and it may provide an English lesson without calling it one.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
That's a briiliant idea Dave - the school kids I mean, the expansion gaps are a given in these climates.  That's why I didn't include any and one of my tracks (close to a window) has buckled …… :oops:  obviously I don't run the air-con when I'm not in there and it doesn't have an auto setting with a sensor ……..

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Well what with summer temperatures in the high 30's in the model railway room, a trip to the UK in September and friends returning to England putting similar thougths in SWMBO's mind, I sort of lost my drive really. That said, I am feeling the urge to try and make some progress so here are some updates.

1. Good shed (based on the one at our local station here in Spain).

This is done other than loading lights (which I blew up) and gutters and drainpipes (which I am experimenting with).

2. Overall station canopy.

Again, getting close. I took advice and made the walls part of the structure which is all removable. It still needs the decorative elements on the supports, platform lighting, the remaining platform columns installing and guttering and downpipes.

3. Terraced houses on a 1 in 5 slope.

Litterally just finished the fronts on the first full depth row - finally. The project has been stalled for at least a year. I still have the backs to do (although I will only wrap the first back at each end), the roofs and guttering and drainpipes (not more surely). There will be two full depth rows and two low relief backs only rows - the first of which is partly assembled.

4. A pedestrian bridge.

This is really in the early stages. I have just put on the plastic steps to see what I thought but I think I will do fully sided stairs like the bridge section. The bridge section has ornamental pieces to go between the upright sections. I seem to remember this type of bridge from some old movies, at night with steam engines going through.

5. One of the main station buildings.

No pics I am afraid as they came out blurred. It's a Kibri kit but i didn't like the roofs with there massive overhangs so I have replaced them with tiled roofs. Like everything else it needs guttering and downpipes. If I can crack how to make them there will be so many things I can finish

Oh and I did check the track for obstacles and actually ran a train around the whole layout towing my cleaning car without any problems. Well, other than one of the drive shafts on the Heljan Lion model having so much play it became disconnected, leaving only one driven boggie.

Posted
Rating:
You are too modest Dave………..thats super progress :thumbs

I think the overall roof makes a splendid focal point for the layout. Can you remind me about lighting ……..are there working standard lights on the platforms under the roof? You are definitely going to need loads of little people for the station, even on a quiet day.

Hope Train Controller is behaving itself……..I have been having the occasional Windows related crash recently…..I have been drilling myself to press Ctrl S every few minutes when programming.

Best wishes

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
I'm with John here - that overall roof looks absolutely splendid.  Is it strong when you lift it off ?

Unfortunately, I'm not so thrilled by the goods shed.  :roll:    It's a great looking stand alone building but to me, very obviously not  British, even without knowing where you live.  It could also be central  American I suppose but then that was Spanish too …………….   Maybe covering it with brick paper and adding a full length loading dock  would "anglicise" it a bit ………..  Just my opinion  …………………. :cry:

I'm also very interested in your row of terraced houses on the slope - I have a similar slope to build on.   :hmm  I can't see any steps in the walls so how did you manage to build the slope into them ?  Also, I'd assumed they were Scalescenes or something but they look like laser cut offerings - are they ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Thanks both for your comments.

John. I have found earing back plates or something which will take an led light and, with a black top and silver inner, look pretty good to me. These will hang from the roof soon (hopefully). In terms of Traincontroller, I have hardly used it this year so far. Maybe I need to set myself a building target, like finishing the terraced houses, then dedicate some time to actually running trains. I have to say Accurascale delays to the new Deltic release aren't helping. I will have 6 Deltic's once the two new ones arrive and they, along with Lion, will form a continuously running intercity timetable and be the schedules on which I hang all the others.

Peter. The roof is quite light and can be lifted off although I was relying on the top sections for hand holds before the ridge pieces were added so need to have another think. I will have to see about the goods shed once it gets drainpipes etc - it is covered in brick paper but probably too light in colour for a British shed.

The terraced houses are designed and laser cut by yours truly. I did look around for some commercial ones but found nothing. Since the start of the pandemic I have spent a lot of time on the computer designing things. I started with a little Neje laser which is easy to use but recently bought a bigger and supposedly more powerfull one so that I can cut larger structures but it isn't working out. So if I can talk the boss into it, I am looking at buying another Neje but the 80W (input power) one which will cut 2mm or 2.5mm nice and easy. The houses are 2mm and 1mm grey card as they were an early design. I could cut you a couple if you want to try them - just message me.

Posted
Rating:
OK quick addition and and question.

Tried laser cutting plasticstruct type tube and engraving semi-cicular bar yesterday with my go to tool (the laser cutter) and it was pretty much a disaster. I can see ways to make it better a little but it will be very fiddly and slow.

So, ayone any ideas on how to make guttering and downpipes. It needs to be straighforward as I need loads and loads of the stuff. If all else fails I may have to resort to commercial packs but then you end up with loads of bits you can't use.

Thanks

Posted
Rating:
Hi Dave

Guttering is best made with square Plastistruct, rounded on one corner with a scapel blade.  The other square side help adhesion to buildings.  Pull an old round file through the top to make the channel.  Paper or thin plastic can be used for the joints with larger bits for hoppers.  Downpipes are just plastic rod with either thin plastic brackets or wire passing through the building wall to hold it on.

I make it sound easy but have only done it once or twice!   Looks good though.  Stole the technique from a modeller who's name escapes me - might be Barry Norman or Iain Rice. Not sure how much you need but I would imagine you could get a production line going??

Barry

Shed dweller, Softie Southerner and Meglomaniac

Posted
Rating:
I think a short update before Christmas is in order. Only a minor change to the overall station canopy so I'll save pics for another time. Just as I thought it was time for some serious modelling fate had other ideas. Got up early two weeks ago turned left out of the bedroom and totally keeled over on to the tiled kitchen floor with no warning dizziness or anything. So I am now sporting a gash in my head (staples now removed) and, more problematic from a modelling point of view, damaged ligaments and bruising to the left side of my ribs. Sneezing or coughing invokes swear words not often used my yours truly. Anyway a few pics.

Firsty the modified station building is getting a little closer. My plan is to scratch build a parcels office to site on the left of the station as shown in the photo.

Secondly the completed multi-storey car park. I keep looking at it an envisaging how I could make it better but it will have to stay for now or nothing is going to get finished.

And finally for today the progress on the terraced housing. All the main carcassas are now complete and it's time for warps, windows, roofs etc.

I would have shown them in the finally locations but I can't lean over to place them at the moment.

I have also changed the angle with associated minor design changes and made a smaller set for one of our other members. It will be interesting to see how he gets on with them (as long as the mail system doesn't loose them).

I have also decided I will carry on with scenic stuff for a bit yet but once the new Deltics arrive I will at least split my time 50/50 with running and developing schedules etc.

Last edit: by DaveH_Murcia

Posted
Rating:
Hi Dave

I am so sorry to read of your accident. I do hope you have a swift recovery with no after effects. I assume you have had a full medical check up? I had something almost identical although in my case it was at a family gathering and I guess I would have landed on the floor but woke up to find myself in the grip of both son in laws! I got whisked away to emergency and found that a patch I have to wear doesnt mix well with alcohol….even just a sip (honest!). Checked with the cardiologist who helpfully said…..no problem, if you want to have a drink just take the patch off :roll:.

Sorry I veered off topic

I always enjoy shots of Tinkers End…….the sheer scale of the enterprise is quite breathtaking…….the row of terraced houses look great

I like the shape and structure of the station building but something about it betrays its continental origin. I think it may be the almost dazzling white windows and pillars. Are you planning to paint them in appropriate BR regional colours? That combined with poster and signage would anglicize the building.

Get well soon, best wishes

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for the comments John. In terms of the accident, i got fantastic treatment here in Spain. Went to A&E and was dealt with in less than an hour. Checking in, triage, see the doctor, go for x-rays, back to doctor and done. I couldn't believe it. They did prescribe something for the pain which my brother informed me had "interesting" side effects if you have any alcohol so been avoiding that.

I agree that the new station still looks continental in origin but I am hoping with a bit of weathering and some signage, as you suggest, it will tone it down a bit .

Posted
Rating:
Sorry to read about your fall Dave - as John said, I hope you're soon running on all 4 cylinders again.

I read somewhere that one should always sit on the edge of the bed for a few moments before standing up.  Not doing so can easily lead to what you experienced.  

Apparently it's all to do with internal wear and tear.  As one "matures", the blood thins, the heart doesn't react fast enough to a sudden demand and the "gates" in the veins aren't tight fitting enough to take a sudden load.  Thus, when one quickly moves from horizontal to vertical, everything ends up in your feet and you pass out.

Falling onto a hard floor is unforgiving to say the least.  Fortunately, the only thing that broke was you pride.

I, being "that other member",  am really looking forward to my row of houses arriving - yours look stunning.  :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
This maturing like fine with a malarkey certainly comes with caveats and I'm sorry to hear of your unfortunate tumble and consequent discomfort Dave. I know that time will heal, but one needs a whole lot of patience, as I know from a fall into a tiled floor in September. Thankfully, French and Spanish A&E departments seem to be reassuringly capable. 

Taking it easy is all well and good and sounds comforting, but the reality of life and the urge to do something are large obstacles to manage.

I wish you as speedy, comfortable and engaging a recovery as possible.

Best,

Bill

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
A final update before Christmas. I am still not over the fall, but things are very slowly improving. I have been managing to do a bit more on the terraced houses. The other three rows have made some progress but here are some of an almost completed set.

The first is it placed roughly in it's final location.

It's getting closer. Lights are fitted and testing in some of the rooms, the roof tile strips are complete. I have chimneys, gutters and downpipes to fit then some weathering, to the roof especially, and it's about done.

The next shot is part of the back.

As it won't really be seen I have just put the brick paper wraps on the outer pairs of terraces and painted the bare card on the centre houses.

And finally just to show I don't spend all my time laser cutting model railway items.

I made these to give to our Spanish friends. Happy Christmas to all and hopefully a better 2022.

Posted
Rating:
Ok, I have a question for any Digitrax DCC users out there. Do you use the Digitrax BXPA1 auto reverser with track occupancy detection. I was using Tam Valley units but found the lack of track occupancy detection annoying. So i decided to replace 3 units with 3 BXPA1 units. Then the fun started, firstly I had to contact Digitrax for a firmware upgrade to get them to work at all. Next set the first one to address 80 and it reports on 159 .. what? Ok next test, set the address to 30 and it reports on 59. So the question is has anybody else come across this problem and is there a fix? With further testing I worked it out that if you send them a number they then report occupancy on double the number - 1. Isn't this hobby a challenge at times?

Posted
Rating:
It's been a little while in which time we have even made a trip back to the UK to see friends and family. Thankfully I am now almost completely recovered from my fall with just the occasional twinge to remind me.

I have now completed the basic build of the four rows of terraced houses. The front two are full depth and the back two were supposed to be backs only but I decided I didn't want them parrallel to the back wall so I have built more roof as required. So 64 terraced houses and I dread to think how many strips of roof tiles. Now it is down to chimneys, guttering and down pipes along with some weathering. I have enlisted the boss's help as I am a little challenged in the colours department. I am also getting my wife to have a play with the laser cut footpaths to get a better colouring.

Anyway here are a couple of pictures to show progress.

Posted
Rating:
A fine pair of rows of terraces…. very impressive.   How are you getting on with the new laser cutter?  Can I ask which one you purchased and any strengths weaknesses?
Michael

Posted
Rating:
The terraced houses look awesome Dave- a perfect complement to the mass of the station. I guess you are going to find a lot of lamp posts! :lol:

Best wishes

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
Hi. In terms of laser cutters, to be honest the original 20W (input) Neje is still the best. It stopped for a while for some reason, so I bought a Neje 30W to replace it, but then all was well again so I haven't fitted it yet. The new laser was an Atomstack 30W (input) which although it has a bigger cutting area the actual laser doesn't cut as well as the Neje. I think the lens isn't as good. I am keeping an eye on 40W (input) lasers with better focus.

John - I'll have to have a look in my boxes for street lights, I had totally forgotten about them to be honest.

Posted
Rating:
Well now for something a little different on a Saturday afternoon. I have been playing with an old cube camera I have and ran it round the layout on the front of a loco. Unfortunately Windows 10 doesn't like connecting to it so I can't change the time and stuff. I have left the video complete, even though there are sections in the hidden areas, so feel free to move forward.

[yt]hN1ZCMJftbk[/yt]

It's interesting, I hadn't realised the poor section of track down the slope to the northern sidings.

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.