My Scratchbuilt Catenary

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’

OO gauge OLE

Didn't get anywhere with the portal yesterday due to domestic commitments, but I did a quick mock up to check pantograph height using the older more chunky catenary and two bits of 70mm wood.

Reckon this will look OK.

Ed

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Yep so do I,just enough room to manouver,nice one
:thumbs;-):cool:
Owen

web-cam 2.2.74.174:8081
if the lights are off no cam

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Looks better 'in the flesh' so to speak, Owen.

Real test will be when I have some OHLE on the layout and actually run a train under it.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Portal version 1 didn't quite work as it was too difficult to get the registration arms soldered when only attaching to styrene square tube.

Can see now why people use a brass (or similar) type portal, as then everything solders together.

So portal mark 2, more like a headspan.

This is going to be a bit 'chunky' like the first masts, but if I use 1/0.6 equipment wire same as the contact and catenary wires, it will be too flimsy.

Haven't cut the posts yet, so they're 250mm instead of 150mm.

Looks like I've managed to create a bow in the middle wire, but it was the first attempt.

I've at least one more to do as I need two for the station area, so if it turns out better I'll do a third and discard this one.

Hence, it's not painted.

I've also decided not to have a parallel return wire running along the masts as it would make things too much like a birds nest and extremely difficult to clean the track etc.

This is after all just a representation of OLE, so that the AC locos don't look too daft on the layout :mutley

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
at least you are getting there,more power to your elbow
Owen

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Thanks Owen.

Slow progress, but at least I can do this indoors.

Too cold, dark, damp and 'orrible to do track laying in the garage :lol:

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Your coming along nicely there Ed,
I think you are wise to build your own, because the other day I came across a plastic cantenary mixed in with some stuff I had acquired.
It`s extremely fragile and I don`t exaggerate ………I could imagine it set up and one little knock and it`s busted.
Your method, although time consuming, will stand up to minor knocks and bumps because it`s obviously a much more robust system. So it`s worth the effort you`re putting into it.
Carry on old chap and stay warm.:thumbs:thumbs:thumbs:thumbs
:cheers  Gormo

"Anyone who claims to have never made a mistake, never made anything!!"

https://sites.google.com/site/greatchesterfordmodelrailway/home

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
It looks robust enough, Ed.  :thumbs

It must be a challenge to get the curves caused by gravity looking right.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
and Peco are going to release some
see page 4

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Thanks Gormo. I believe the Dapol version is actually marketed as being cheap per mast so that they can be easily replaced when broken.

The curves on the catenary wire just have to look right Max and as mine isn't under tension it's just a case of soldering up a section of catenary that 'look right'. No idea how you get a decent curve if you actually have the wires under tension.

Headspans are all tensioned wires with no curves (unless you manage to create a bow when attaching the headspan to a plastic mast :lol:).

From what I've read, I'm sure Peco announced their intention to produce a catenary system many years ago before Dapol even brought theirs out Sol, which I think was 2010. They've only now brought out some wires to go with them, so I wouldn't expect a Peco system soon.

The problem with the Dapol (and I suspect the proposed Peco system) is they only produce plain masts. No headspans, portals or twin arm masts for points, cross overs etc.

If you don't mind your catenary a bit more European looking, then commercially available systems such as Sommerfeldt do all the various parts for OLE, but they ain't cheap.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Banned
The catenary looks good to me Ed. I'd be happy with the heavier gauge wire being used. This will look super once you have completed all the masts and wires. :thumbs

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Thanks Gary.

Think (hope) it'll look ok once it's all painted and on the layout.

If the headspans do look too chunky compared with the mast arms and wires, I have a plan B :mutley

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed, Garys right, its all down to perception, if you make the overhead wire to scale the chances are it would be almost invisible, I had this with Robyn, look at roof tiles, on our models they are way over scale thickness, make them to scale and you may just as well draw them on, look at the prototype unless you are right up close you don,t see the joins, it will be the same with catenery from normal viewing distance it will look great.

Cheers, Pete. 

it was already on fire when I got here, honest!

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
You're probably right Pete, especially when I invoke my 'five foot rule'.

Glad I'm not trying this in N gauge :mutley

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
I decided the top wire from the span had to go.

It not only really did look too thick, it was making the whole system higher and more likely to get snagged when reaching across the board.

I the tried cutting a slot in a piece strip of square tube and slotting it over the top wire, but it didn't  work to well.

So I'm now just cutting another piece of tube and sticking it just above the wire.

I know the wire looks a bit bowed, but it's the camera angle.

Once painted and viewed from normal operating position I doubt I'll be able to see the top wire, especially after applying my three (five) foot rule.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Glad to see you're making good headway!

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Ed don`t get to critical mate, you will only bog yorself down,nothing is perfect in this game,if it looks ok then it is,after all it`s your railway enjoy,,
OWEN

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Thanks Brendan.

Know what you mean Owen, I bought some 2mm round styrene tube to try and make better looking insulators, as I'd seen done on 'that other forum'.

Started messing about cutting and filing the styrene, and then suddenly thought why am I doing this :roll:. The wrapped wire around the arms version will look fine when painted.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Why…? Because it's there and we can (have a go at least)!

… and then you realise…. it's like detailing the interior of an N Scale house with slit windows sitting at the back of the layout surrounded by trees. :lol: (I've stopped doing that BTW)

Looking good to me Ed… at least the soldering iron will be providing some heat.

cheers
Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Not only did Dapol finally get around to producing wires for their catenary system late last year, but Peco are now about to start selling the version they announced I don't know how long ago.

http://www.ehattons.com/189839/Peco_Products_LC_100_Start_up_pack_12_masts_12_registration_arms_2_jigs_and_16_page_Shows_You_How_Gui/StockDetail.aspx
It's like buses, none for ages and then two come along at once :thud

Meanwhile, back at Latton Fields…..

Well it's a start, and mine is considerably cheaper

Haven't quite got the pantograph height 'just right' yet, but I'll get there.

Ed

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.