N Gauge Tempsford

Posted
Rating:

Eastern Region themed mainline

peterm said

"I will not use MDF again!"  Don't blame you. A decent quality plywood is what I've always used and it just stays flat, with decent support of course.

A shame you have to rip it all up as it's a really nice layout.

Yep, lesson learned.  It's the old saying that a model railway is only as good as its baseboard.  I will use marine ply on my next effort.

Bob
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
How thick was the MDF Bob? I'm using 20mm with 20mm vertical bracing underneath at strategic locations. A bit like an L-girder. Heavy but solid and I've not seen any distortion on the 3 year old Llandyfriog junction yet.

cheers

Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
I don't trust MDF.  I recall the old club layout got a couple of MDF corners.  These seemed fine in the clubhouse but then the layout was moved for a show.  We were amazed and horrified at how much the MDF warped.  Must have been the change in humidity and temperature.  

So, for me, it's going to be plywood, and indeed, my current layout uses ply.

The new club layout uses ply throughout.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Look forwards to seeing the progress on your new layout. 

What happened to chipboard? You used to be able to buy large boards of the stuff. Seems to have all but disappeared other than slats for loft spaces!?

Posted
Rating:
Chipboard's as bad as MDF, maybe even worse.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:

Marty said

How thick was the MDF Bob? I'm using 20mm with 20mm vertical bracing underneath at strategic locations. A bit like an L-girder. Heavy but solid and I've not seen any distortion on the 3 year old Llandyfriog junction yet.

cheers

Marty

Hi Marty

Can't remember you have mentioned Llandyfriog Junction before. Any photos?

Cheers
Claus

Cheers,
Claus
www.flickr.com/photos/ellef/
Online now: Yes Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Marty said

cheers

Marty

Hi Marty,

The MDF was 9mm thick.  I used 2 x 3ft sheets on 2 x 1" bracing.

For my next layout I will get a carpenter in to do the baseboards.  It will cost a bit, but will be a good investment.  The current boards make up an area of 12 x 9 feet.  I plan to run the next board around the walls giving me a 16 x 12 foot layout.

Bob

Posted
Rating:
Before we all rush to condemn mdf, just remember that the baseboards were fifteen years old and had been used for three different layouts.  I would say that the mdf more than proved its suitability for the purpose.  For long term permanent use, maybe thicker material would be more appropriate.  Personally, I always preferred chipboard, but as has been mentioned, it is no longer readily available.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
For Latton Fields which was started in my garage over ten years ago, I used 6mm MDF for the baseboards with 34mm PSE for the framework.

Although the layout was dismantled in 2017, the boards are still in place being used as shelving with no visible signs of warping.

Latton Fields Base Boards.jpg

Perhaps the environment has something to do with it, as although my garage can be very hot in summer and cool in the winter, it's not heated in any way.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Ed, what stopped you completing the model railway?

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
The garage was not an ideal environment Terry and unfortunately there wasn't really any room to develop any scenic areas.

OO Gauge - Latton Fields - Your Model Railway

I did try to build a smaller end to end Minories based layout out there, but even then my arthritis was beginning to restrict my mobility, so I couldn't stand for too long.

It's small layouts indoors, in the warm where I can sit down now.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
HDF rather than MDF could work out better if it's in a garage.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Ed, being indoors sounds the better option.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.