Model Railway show,

Posted
Rating:

First go at Playing/Operating or WHY in Public ever

Hi Nigel                   You may of heard of Hop Pickers Specials?? From London Bridge to Hawkhurst via Paddock Wood.The trains departed London Bridge with 10 carriages to Paddock Wood, dropping off carriages along the line to Hawkhurst, by which time there were only 4 carriages.  Fortunately the layout was based on the run up to the terminus. Otherwise there would have been more to control, a right handful?? Anyway that said it was a bit of fun, a new experience, a learning curve but in easy steps. I believe the Branchline was a victim of Dr Richard Beeching??:sad: the bad old man??             all the best  Kevin

Staying on the thread Kevin.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hello all,

I used to take a 12 ft long layout to shows and run it single handed, by the end of a day I was dunin to put it mildly. Then I had to ask someone for a lift and make 4 other journeys to my vehicle to load up, all of it quite tiring.

I made my first micro layout about 5 years ago on one lightweight 5.5 mm plywood cross braced board 4.1/2 x 1.1/2 ft, it rests on two trestles and the backscene is only 6" high. 

Looking around for something to sit on Eileen suggested a plastic rubbish bin, so I bought one and attached a piece of plywood to the bottom. In it I put my odds and ends, layout curtain, transformer, lighting etc and a cushion, turn it over when empty and I can sit on the cushion and see over the backscene.

Now I can operate the layout including the three link couplings from one spot, chat to visitors and offer anyone a go. I only have 3 hall to car journeys to load my car and I can set up and break down in ten minutes. I really enjoy every minute of a show now.

Cheer - Jim

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Having, last week, exhibited at my third ever show, ( one last October, the previous in 1978!) I can sympathize with the brain fade. We had a team of 4 on a 12ft OO layout and it was still tiring, my feet suffered the most, I'll be taking a folding stool next time. The second show convinced me not to use 3 Link coupling on a show layout!!

Now I've finally started a model railway…I've inherited another…

Posted
Rating:
Hello Queren,

I must make a plug for 0 Gauge and 3 link couplings they are so much easier to use in that scale and they also have the advantage of being able to uncouple/couple anywhere on a layout.

Cheers - Jim

Posted
Rating:
On my 0 gauge Inglenook shunting puzzle (HAVATRY)
I use Lincs Autocouplers to keep the operation simple.
After all, the whole idea with the layout was to keep
it simple and encourage 'newbies' to HAVe A TRY!

Next time I'm going to try S&W, because for shows,
I think it's all about 'putting on a show' for the public,
but I do use 3 links while running at the club.

Jeff

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I suppose I should use Spratt and Winkle couplers as the line I'm modelling had running rights over the Andover to Southhampton line. however I have Chosen Dingham couplers having spent many hours at many shows peering at the couplings to decide what to use.
I've heard of the lincs coupler but have never seen one. I agree about you need to put on a show for the punters.
I've chosen EM gauge to build and that has meant a 54ft Shed, there is no way I'm going to build a 94ft one to accommodate O gauge!!! Sometime I seriously wish I had chosen something smaller like T gauge!!!

Posted
Rating:
I must admit that HAVATRY is only 6'6" long!
(it's also very light, being as it's made from card)

Lincs are quite discreet and have the advantage that
you can still use 3 links on the same bit of rolling stock,
so long as you use brass links.

But, they are quite sensitive to the way they are set up,
too much side play in the axles and they don't like it!

I have had less trouble with S&W in 4mm, but pin-point
axles do make a big difference.

Jeff

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Having just re-researched  the Lincs coupling, I must have missed the reintroduction of them about a year ago. an interesting concept half way to an AJ coupling but the lack of delayed action would probably have still meant me going for the many packets of Dinghams I have to fit.

Being on Both sides of a layout though more often at the front, has brought me to the following conclusions.
General Punters like to see something moving,  they know little of railways, 8 trains a day on a branch won't keep them happy, there must be something there within seconds of the previous train.

The GP don't like the hand of God, they see it as a failure, to me it destroys the illusion.
Shunting layouts are not as popular with the GP as roundy roundy (particularly with children), but I believe there is a place for shunting layouts.

Layout heights are for the operator standing there for two days, not for the GP.

If you have beautifully hand made locos and carriages the GP can't se them is they sitting most f the time round the back in the fiddle yard.

Do not  have time tables someone WILL make a mistake and then everything grinds to a halt while you try to get things back where you need them. Do have a rough plan to keep things going.
As to my own future exhibition layout, this is the Collingbourne Station part of My home layout. Collingbourne Station is 305 ft long or roughly 4ft in 4mm  scale, this is without the crossovers or the 3 sidings with those you reach 18ft without fiddle yards. Two fiddle yards mean a total of 3 operators to keep things moving and that's without breaks….

It is likely it will be me and SWMBO at a show therefore the above is impossible, so the intention is to use the main station with two new exhibition boards at each end giving a curve into the fiddle yards on a roundy layout. This should produce a 12ft by 8ft layout operateable  by one person.

Trains stoppig will be up to 4 coaches and a loco or 20 wagons and a loco at most. unlike the real thing which had 15 coach through trains and up to 60 wagons. There will be no timetable, repeated trains will run through in order, with some stopping. The odd freight will stop leave a wagon or two and then depart. the next train freight the other way will pick them up.

I have two folding high stools with backs, the seats are around 3ft off the ground, so the layout base level will be at 40 inches so I can get my legs under.
All relays, point motors and electrics will be mounted on the back scene. I've spent too much time lying under layouts recently. The blood just runs out of your arms and you can't see.
 I have yet to decided on DC, DCC or Radio control but I am leaning towards RC, you don't care about dirty track you just need a way of charging Locos.

Posted
Rating:
Hi There                  Good thinking on the stool, but, I have been searching online for one, and most look flimsy some have a weight limit.The stool would have to be folding, lightweight and sturdy, or I must lose a few pounds??  all the best  Kevin

Staying on the thread Kevin.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.