Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Looking ace Marty,well done :D  :D
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
That's looking brilliant Marty.

It's an amazing scene when you compare the latest shot with your original "mock up".  Well done.  :wink:

Petermac

'Petermac
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Marty,
I am both stunned and inspired mate!
I have started looking on the first page only and somewhat Just plain overcome with admiration decided to go to the last page to write a note.
All I can say at this stage is WOW! Cool!
John

Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posted
Rating:
Marty

This is all coming together very well to produce an effective and neat end result.  Once you have finally assembled it and weathered it all it is going to look first class.  A great result.

Bob(K)

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for the encouragement Bob(K) and John.

Despite a busy couple of weeks I've managed to get into the layout room a couple of times to experiment with foliage along the river bank.

Here are some progress pics of the area I'm working/playing with.

The river itself will be filled with resin, varnish or PVA once the detail is completed. Still got to test the different types of fill to see what I like best.

I'm trying to establish a sandbar here on the left, I think that the area just in front of the bar on the left bank (in shadow) is going to have some more reeds in it.

and a shot from a little further back.

Any suggestions, comments, etc welcome.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
It looks the business,Marty.You must be well chuffed with the results so far.

Cheers,John.B. :wink:

Posted
Rating:
Ken
Inactive Member
It's certainly opened my eyes as to what can be achieved in "N" - very well done Marty.
Ken.

'It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that Swing'

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
That first picture works for me Marty but I will be interested in seeing any additions, if you decide to make them.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Nice variety of vegetation, Marty. It looks very pretty in that first photo. I've no doubt it'll end up looking fabulous.
 I'd like to see a figure in it to get some idea of scale, especially alongside the straw-coloured rushes[?]

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Very happy with progress so far GJG… and it's a lot of fun too.

Bob, it's ongoing, plenty more to be done yet and plenty of pics too.

Ken, hope my meanderings and mutterings give you some ideas, I'm looking forward to seeing the quarry develop.

MikeC, I have a feeling that the rushes are going to need a trim too. It is going to be a bit hard to judge until I get the "water" in but I'll dig out a figure and see if he measures up.  :)

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Looks great Marty.  Judging from the tractor wheels, it must be pretty muddy in that riverbed !!!

Super blending of the "greenery" into the river bank.  Well done. :wink:

Petermac

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Reeds… and more of the Bridge

Managed to get a couple of hours bridge building recently. Still plenty to do, capping stones and some more edging before I can join the two sides up under the bridge.

Here's a shot of my workbench.

Every now and then I test fit the pieces to make sure I'm happy with the way the bridge is going.

This is the front of the bridge temporarily in place and as such it's not fitting quite as well as it will once glued in place at the top of the MDF roadbed.
You can also see the recent addition of reeds in the river bed and more vegetation, grass and shrubs, on the embankment in the background.

This is the rear side of the bridge.
You can see where I've had to carve into the plaster scenery to get the footings of the bridge level.
Note to self, build major bits of railway infrastructure first, then plaster up to them.

As I say, still plenty to do.

I'm trying to work out wether to build brick retaining wing walls or to pretend that the formation was blasted out of rock and just paint the rock.

Any thoughts?

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
That looks really great Marty. Love the way you have put into the side of the embankment, very well done indeed.

Phill

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
 That's excellent progress, Marty. Looking very good.

I'm no engineer, which is just as well, but I'll vote for walls :smile:

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Looking great Marty.  I would also go for the walls.  Don't know why, they just seem to make the scene.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ken
Inactive Member
I just looked back to the start of this is and it's wonderful N gauge modelling Marty. I'm not sure about the wing walls but I guess you'll do a card mock-up anyway? 

Ken

'It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that Swing'

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
one very good job Marty,i also think wall would make it right.
:oops::lol::lol::cool:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Just got to agree with the others, Marty, walls are the way to go (especially on the right hand side as you look at the back of the bridge).

I've not posted on this thread for some time, but I've been watching your progress with interest. As you are one who always claimed to be a novice in scenery construction, I've come to the conclusion that you've been having us on. You are maintaining a very high standard my friend and you should be proud of your work!!

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Many thanks for your comments and input.

Looks like its wing walls then, I started on the first one last night. I can see I'm going to have to do some "alterations" to the plasterwork to get the straight walls to fit.
Yay, more mess :smile: especially at the back bit, it's going to take a bit of thought to get that looking right. :???:

Ken, I've done a card mockup and tested the Peco ones to see what they looked like and I agree with all that the wing walls are the way to go.
I can't use the Peco ones, the brick work is different and it just won't look right.

Jeff, praise indeed :oops: thank you.  I am still very much a Novice but have been lucky enough to have the support and examples of all on this forum which helps me along.

… and I've always been a finicky sod with an obsession for detail.

(Something which T has recognised and learnt to work around :lol::lol::lol:…)

… and to all of you who have had a quick peek at my progress and haven't commented, thank you for your interest. :D
It's nice to see the number of views go up by 100 or so each time I post an update.
Best of health to all,

More as it comes off my workbench.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.