Getting Narrow minded.....

Posted
Rating:

Dipping a toe in the NG pond

Well, what a fiasco. After running a permanent marker round the inside rim of the windows to represent rubber seals, I bought a tin of Bordeaux red spray paint from a local outlet, tried it on some scrap, not too bad, first pass on the model OK-ish, second pass like raspberry jam. BOLLIX.

Have you ever tried rubbing down a mini-loco with 1200 wet and dry?

Final result, after shaking can for 15 minutes and standing in hot water [the can that is, not me…] shown below.

I've given it three coats of Kleer, but not very happy as capillary action has dragged it up the hand rails etc.

I'll give it a matt spray, then weather it, heavily….very heavily.  It might make an Ebay sale?

When I feel less suicidal I'll start on the second one.

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Blast! … And other such profanities I'm sure?

You're going to have to trade in some RLW tokens for an air brush you know?

I'm sure you would be a dab hand at spraying in no time.

At least it wasn't subjected to the stamp test!

Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Would have thought that a bit of a rough finish could be gotten away with as these would have probably been painted with a brush originally.

Doesn't look that bad to me infact it looks fine.

Cheers

Andy

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Andy's right, Doug.

Anyway, part of the modelling scenairo is creating a narrative to explain results.  :lol:

I'm sure that you will come up with something suitable.  ;-)

Posted
Rating:
Marty, Andy and Max, thank you for your replies, an air-brush dos seem a sensible idea, I have lots of tubes of artists acrylic, I wonder if they will work with that?

I better think and buy now, whilst there is still a little bit of pocket money left for toys, the EU referendum result has effectively robbed me of 15% of my pension income.

If the French won't honour our reciprocal health care agreements, then I'm up the creek and no mistake.

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

Posted
Rating:
Hi Doug,

Looks fine to my eyes. Just needs toning down.

Rather than a matt finish, try a very light coat of white or light grey (misting effect, use a can of Testors or similar that is meant for model work, not car rattle can spray paint (which is meant to fill in light scratches). Using light grey car primer will fill in details unless used very carefully. An airbrush is better for this sort of work. It's a worthwhile investment. Get one with a reservoir to eliminate pressure fluctuations.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Go for an airbrush Doug. Several under £70, exactly the same model as the Expro one thats nearly twice the price. Half decent brushes under £20, good to use until you are more confident, then move up.
It's good fun, but do it in the shed/garage… management are not impressed with the vapour and mess!

ATB
Shaun.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I agree with all said, yes your acrylics will be fine they work well with the airbrush,
:thumbs;-):cool:
Owen

web-cam 2.2.74.174:8081
if the lights are off no cam

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Must be disappointing after all that work Doug ,but dont be downhearted ,its not that bad .

reg

Posted
Rating:
Thank you Nigel, Shaun, Owen and Reg, I'll prpbably go ahead and buy an air-brush. The Red Peril can stay at the back of the shed on some bogus wheels!

Doug

Posted
Rating:
Doug, all of these locos, apart from Rosie, No.5, were airbrushed with dilute humbrol enamels, and then a quick waft of dilute matt varnish (generic, spirit based)

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=13739&forum_id=21&page=2

The airbrush compressor came from Ebay, £68 inc P & P, and came with all fittings including a gravity fed brush.
 I spray in the shed, whereas Colin uses his utility room with the outside door open. We have yet to find it neccessary for masks or ventilator cabinet. I guess it is down to personal choice, and the amount of spraying that one intends to do. Also the number of SLW tokens you are prepared to sacrifice for the hobby…

Shaun.

Posted
Rating:
Shaun, thanks for the reminder of your super little world, I'm gonna do it….[buy an air-brush]

Doug

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=312]Chubber[/user] wrote: 
I'm gonna do it….[buy an air-brush]

Doug

WHAT ??  Chubber spend money ?   Call the Doctor !!! :mutley

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Excellent… Now we will really see something special. No pressure Doug.

Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
[user=19]Marty[/user] wrote:
Excellent… Now we will really see something special. No pressure Doug.

Marty
Well, perhaps 15-20 psi…

Posted
Rating:
Too easy… Just too easy… Hook, line and sinker :mutley

(I was going to say it but thought I'd leave it for somebody else. Nice team play. )

Last edit: by Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
:mutley

Posted
Rating:
Done it!!

Now lying down in a darkened room after buying 1/6th HP compressor with reservoir, three brushes, cleaning solution and cleaner, diluter for acrylics, 'ickle cleaning brushes, hoses etc. from Amazon U.K. My chums should bring it all out from U.K. mid-August. The same order from Amazon FR would have cost almost double.

Starting a new Tugwell-Pushley, things are much easier the second time around, cutting the sheet stuff on a piece of hard card instead of a cutting mat, far less effort needed. I have tried to add a little surface detail by overlaying the buffer beams with a veneer of 10/1000" sheet pricked through from the back with a big needle.

I'm also covering the nondescript N gauge spring details with a free-lance 0-4-0 cover-up. As the Proctocologist said 'Onwards and Upwards!'

Poop-poop!

Doug

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
What a thread ! Worth reading for its humour alone.

That engine shed Doug is a masterpiece on its own. Superb model making and superbly described.

Following this thread with great interest.

Allan

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I didn't understand a word, but the photo looks promising.  :shock:
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.