Getting Narrow minded.....

Posted
Rating:

Dipping a toe in the NG pond

… aye… keep treading water…

Nice to see a Narrow Gauge running mate for your wee engine. (I avoided using the abbreviation NG… so there)

Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=1632]BCDR[/user] wrote:
Hi Doug,

The handrails would go inside the doorway with a right angle bracket at the top to meet the beading.

To me it looks like the linkage to the injector. You could cobble one using an OO injector from Mainly Trains and some brass rod.

There is also a lubricating valve at the bottom of the smoke box.

Just needs a whistle at the front of the cab

There is also a handbrake stanchion on the LHS of the cab.

Bemo couplings would probably be the best bet.

Nigel

Hi again, Nigel,

Cab handrails fitted [swinish],

clack valves fitted [the injectors are under the footplate out of sight…:)]

Hoping to fashion some lubricators when I can get hold of some suitable brass

Whistle made of a brass pin

Handbrake stanchion picked out

Rear sanding pipes fitted

Couplings to wait until I get some proprietary stock to use as a benchmark height etc.

Now I shall sit back after touching up all the scratches etc that happen when you are fitting things and think of something else for a change.

Doug

Last edit: by Chubber

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Here's what I was thinking of next……From CW Railways, a 3D printed body shell of either another tank locomotive, this time an 0-4-0 which fits onto a used Flieschmann 'Piccolo' chassis I bought from Ebay Italy. It is 20 years old and runs like a Singer sewing machine!

or a little diesel shunter which fits a new 'Kato' 11-103 NG diesel chassis that cost £8 + £3.50 pp all the way from'Plaza'  on Ebay Japan.

If I choose the diesel I think I will go for the bigger green version, as 'Dennis' is quite a big boy and he might dwarf the smaller one.

We still haven't sold the house for our move back to U.K. so I have cut  down the height of my 'New End' 8ft x 20" baseboards to make reaching  over the back feasible, and want to build a roundy-roundy N.G. layout.  I am trying to steer clear of the minute quarry type locomotives as I'd  like to do a free-lance common carrier layout rather than an industrial  set-up.

So… which to do?

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

Posted
Rating:
Well done Doug, Dennis is looking justly proud, resplendent with all his important little bits, so finely fettled in place.

I can see you getting used to this loco building malarkey ;-)

Thank you also for CW Railways site. It's a wonderful resource for all kinds of possibilities.

A bientôt,

Bill :)

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Well, things are a bit quiet here after returning from our Slovenia and Croatia trip, followed by a fortnight on the Costa Brava to get over it. Spent an interesting 3 days at Bezier on the way home, looking at the Midi Canal and its emergence into the Med nearby. Didn't realise that Beziers is probably the oldest recorded town in France, founded by Greco Romans in 68BC.

So, modelling.

Currently tiring eye-wise as the cataract in my left eye makes bright light [a pre-requisite for modelling] tiring after a while, so 20 minute bursts seem to work best.  Back to U.K. on a visit in October to see my eye-boffin, maybe it's ready to operate on.

Still no movement on the house sale front after being let down by a French buyer, so confining myself to small things, hence my attempt to change this

into a OO9 NG diesel shunter….

using, using, [sob] plasticard…

I tried packeto cornoflako but it didn't work.

The Bachmann N gauge US model has a nice heavy chassis, as above, and with the help of my B.I.L. in the states I can get them for about £27 each including postage.

Hopefully some more progress pictures soon [ish]. As several Scottish Laughing Water tokens are involved in this model, I am unlikely to subject the whole thing to the 'stamp test' although two attempts at the cab have failed the test so far….

Poop-poop,

Doug

Posted
Rating:
Well done Doug. Following this one with interest!

(Sorry about the optic prob - and the house sale. To rub salt in the wound, we recently sold/bought in six weeks…)

ATB
Shaun.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks, Shaun :thumbs

As promised, a little progress. Frustrating day, had far more ambitious plans for the radiator, but three didn't survive the stamp test, so a simpler version. Not sure if it doesn't need rounding off at the front corners, a bit like a Bull Nosed vintage car?

I shall have to put some hand rails, steps, etc on and beef up the buffer beams, cut some glazing to fit but spray the cab interior fist, grey I think. The roof, radiator and tool box are just held on with Blu-Tak for now. I'll need to paint and cut a little man in half to pose on top of the motor and add some wider running boards for him to get about on. I may well remove some of the finer detail from the original yellow body.

Suggestions [that are practical and decent and don't include the word 'insert'] are welcome!

After days of cool wet weather I'm aware of the old adage about being careful you don't get what you wish for….it reached 29C [84F] today, a bit of a change from 19C yesterday. with everywhere still damp it's been like living in a sauna.

Vesti la Juba!

Doug

Posted
Rating:

Slowly coming together, hand rails and exhaust stack. Running boards next and buffer beam thickening.

Poop-poop!

Doug

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Still watching, Doug.  :thumbs

I hope that your eye and house challenges are sorted soon.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Doug,

Nice looking critter there.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Thank you Max, thank you Nigel.

BUT

[and that's a big but], seeing it photographed makes me aware that the hand rails are oversized. the driver would need the span of an orang-utan to grasp them.

So, I shall attempt to extract them, plug the holes (0.7mm) with micro-strip, allow the solvent to dry, and try again with 0.5mm wire. It's a bit early in the day for a fortifying dose of SLW, so wish me luck…..if it doesn't work, I shall go outside, I may be some time.

Doug

Posted
Rating:
Thats looking really nice, it will be interesting to see how it gets transformed once it gets a coat of primer as that will bring it all together into a uniform whole.

Cheers

Andy

Posted
Rating:
Thanks, Andy!

Well, I managed it, very fraught. I'm glad I did and I think its been worth the effort to change the hand rails.

Little man added, running boards enlarged, oil filler, steps and contents gauge  added, buffer beams and couplings to sort out yet and an undercoat  before fitting the glazing, and finally for now, a reminder of the original shape.

Poop-poop!

Doug

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Yep.  :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Well worth the effort. An orangutan in the cab would have looked wrong!

Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Quite amazing change Doug, for just a small difference in the diameter of the wire :thumbs

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Poop-poop indeed Doug, as a remarkable little loco is born. Pleased you must be and that's even before the SLW!

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
[user=644]Campaman[/user] wrote:
Thats looking really nice, it will be interesting to see how it gets transformed once it gets a coat of primer as that will bring it all together into a uniform whole.

Here you go, Andy! One 70HP Tugwell-Pushley ex-works…..

A light blow-over with a rattle-can to see what the finish is like, not too horrid at the moment, the cab and roof just posed at the moment. I'll give it another puff of grey tomorrow and then let it dry for a week before deciding on the buffer/coupling options.

Looking at the little Kadees [?] the chassis came with, I think I like them and wonder if that wouldn't be the way to go before I get too much stock to make a changeover too daunting….

Max, Marty, Ed and Phil, thanks for the encouragement :thumbs

Poop-poop!

Doug

Posted
Rating:
Yep, the primer has totally transformed it. Brilliant.

Whats his name going to be?

Cheers

Andy

Posted
Rating:
[user=644]Campaman[/user] wrote:
Yep, the primer has totally transformed it. Brilliant.

Whats his name going to be?

Thanks Andy! I have no idea what to call him, it might make an interesting diversion i.e. 'Name this loco..'

Doug

PS Think he'll be maroon, the same rattle can will do for my fleet of OO9 coaching stock [both of them]

Doug

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.