Testing a new loco on D C before using it on D C C

Posted
Rating:
#204365 (In Topic #11239)

Running In??

Hi All    I have just realised "Doh" that a new loco has to be "Tested" on D C, before putting in a D C C decoder, having purchased my "sparkling new" N C E  Power Cab, I am rather miffed :sad: and:???: I only wish I still had my pair of H & M  Duettes.:oops:Would some kind soul, out there, please advise me?? and if you know;-) where I can lay my hands on a "reasonably priced one"                             all the best  Kevin

Staying on the thread Kevin.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi kevin if you don't mind second hand I would just pick up a tested and working 'cheapy' on flebay

Cheers

Matt
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
RFS
I think the advice is outdated. Who with a large DCC-only layout also has a DC-only system to do the running in, unless you go for a rolling road? And what about locos that come DCC-fitted - I'm sure you're not meant to take the decoder out first.

I think the advice may relate to the situation where you had a loco that is not DCC-ready, which hence requires re-wiring to fit a decoder. So it would then seem a good idea to make sure it's run-in and mechanically sound before making changes that are not easy to reverse.

Last edit: by RFS

Robert

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I thought the advice was to simply make sure it works on DC and then chip it.

If it comes DCC fitted, there's no need to go backwards.

None of my loco'  have been rub in on DC. Some were tested on DC prior to conversion. I would go ahead and chip it. It'll be fine.

Just my opinion of course.

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
The advice maybe out dated or it may not . I know that some manufacturers are getting more lenient as they understand that the customer has to open up the Loco to fit the chip on DCC ready  Locos, But I would still test it on DC to make sure it has life before chipping it myself, ok you may not need to do a full run in but nothing wrong with testing it before opening and chipping. A chip fitted Loco is a different matter as you would expect the manufacture to test before it leaves the factory and if it didn't work out of the box then , YOU wouldn't be  opening it you would just return it as faulty

Cheers

Matt
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
my dcc controller has a dc function button so Ican run a dc loco ,I thought all the "good ones"? did too
:thumbs;-):cool:

my webcam link 6.19.184.67:8080

Posted
Rating:
I've got an NCE Starter Set and that allows me to run DC if I wish. Saying that, I run my loco's for at least an hour each way on rollers and DC before chipping.

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Matt                    Second hand could be okay, just as long as it comes from a reliable source.            all the bestKevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Robert        Thank you, there are a lot of questions there, most are beyond me. But the D C test first comes from Bachmann.Maybe I have taken them too seriously, but I bow to the experts advice.                          Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Toto                       Well I like to read the leaflets, rather than screwing up my new toy, sorry, I meant train.                                                               all the best  Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Matt                     You are correct, but unbelievable mistakes are made these days with outsourcing of work.                                                                      all the best  Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Silver Fox                Well, the N C E Power Cab came highly recommended! As I am new (This time around) to  Model Railways, I took the advice that I was given. And I have been looking through the "Power Cab System Reference Manual", and " I'll  be Blowed" if I can see anything about a "Direct Current" output. Please send me any relevant information that comes to hand.     Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
It's a reference to the situation that if a loco runs poorly on DC, DCC won't fix it.  It will improve it because of the PWM motor power supply, but it won't turn a pig into a gazelle.

My strategy is to run the loco on DC (I built myself a really good controller with smooth regulated DC), then strip the whole thing down and start from the wheels, soldering on the pick up wires and the motor wires in the NMRA colours.  Then pull out the grain of wheat globes and replace them with LEDs.

Add any ditch lights or beacons I desire, with the correct colours.  Red for right rail.  Black for left rail.  Orange and Grey for the motor.  Blue for the common (+).  White for headlight.  Yellow for rear light.  Green and Purple for ditch lights.  Pink for the beacon.  Brown for the speakers.  Etc, etc.

Or you could just plug it in and hope for the best.  ;-)

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
One other thing . . .

Lenz has had the ability to run DC locos for decades, but like all other DCC systems, it doesn't supply DC power as we know it.

It's pulse width modulated (PWM), and while it will run ONE DC loco at a time, it's useless for pre-testing because it makes the loco motors buzz.  In some cases it has been known to burn out the old (pre-can), motors.

The best idea is to get hold of a second hand DC unit, or build your own.

Oh, and running in on rollers is OK if you don't have a circle of track, but it doesn't put any load on the loco.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Wot he said ( Max that is ) :thumbs
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
To my knowledge, no NCE system allows for any straight DC loco to work on their DCC.  You can run DCC fitted locos on a DC system as long as the decoder has not been programmed not to accept DC.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Max.    Thank you for your reply, I have spoken to a local man who has got a 12 volt D C controller. All this technical expertise you have is absolutely mind blowing, I shall have to see how the spare controller works, but as for changing wire colours, I'll leave that for another day.
L E D's seems to be a manageable idea though, thank you again for your advice.    all the best Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron.     I'm glad you said that, I have been reading through the manual
(N C E Power Cab)  that is, and I could not see a mention of D C at all.
I have been promised a D C controller and all being well that will fit the bill.      all the best.   Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
You could try running it on a piece of track with a 9v battery. It's not perfect but at least it will show if it works.

I'm old, that's why I'm allowed to change my mind, when I can find it.

My Website: index

Posted
Rating:
Hi 60019 Bittern              9 volt battery? could prove it working, but I'll see what happens with the promised Controller?? first.                                              thank you for the thought                        Kevin

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.