Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
I'll stick with Windows 7 for a bit longer……………………..once they've allowed the customer to sort out the problems they should have sorted before they came to the market, I might, only might, change over…………….but even then, only if I'm absolutely forced to change ……..:cheers

'Petermac
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Peter, Microsoft rely on customers to find faults that they themselves may not find & if they waited until all bugs are fixed before general release, no software would see the light of the day.
That said, I too am happy with W7.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Win 7 is a good version, I got this laptop with Win 8 loaded and upgraded to 8.1 that's the reason for me upgrading again to Win 10 which is a lot better than 8.1 ! So far so good!

Cheers
Ron

Proper Preparation makes for Perfect Performance!!

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=13331&forum_id=21

Posted
Rating:
Ron, from what I've read on this and other forums  I'd have upgraded from 8/8.1 back to 7.

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:
Used Win 8.1 nearly a year now and have got used to it, only problem I had was that it would not run some of my astro software! Win 10 runs it all OK and faster so am a happy bunny!:)

Cheers
Ron

Proper Preparation makes for Perfect Performance!!

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=13331&forum_id=21

Posted
Rating:
[user=606]Sol[/user] wrote:
Peter, Microsoft rely on customers to find faults that they themselves may not find & if they waited until all bugs are fixed before general release, no software would see the light of the day.
That said, I too am happy with W7.
But normally, research and development is a salaried function Sol……………..:roll:  In any case, a lot of their software ought not to see the light of day !! :twisted::twisted::twisted:  There are products available in the hardware stores to kill off bugs - I don't expect to buy them from Microsoft …………:roll:

They have enough money and resources to get things right before they come to market.  The only reason they get away with it is that currently, there's not much choice.  Buying a PC means opting into Microsoft.  Buying an Apple Mac costs more than twice as much !!!!

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
It's probably been said before here, or has it?

Windows 10 browser 'Edge' doesn't present YMR members with an 'Add Photo' choice so I', back on Firefox, not that there was alot wrong with it anyway.

As for Win 10 'Mail', don't go there, no multiple delete, different accounts have to be visited separate to see if you have new mail….I'm back in Windows Live Mail

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
They have enough money and resources to get things right before they come to market .  .  .  . !!!!
That says it all really. Imagine the reaction to an 'MS Windows 10' pitch in Dragon's Den!

A PC is essential for modern life and it's reassuring to see that so many people with some brain cells left to rub together, still use them the way they need to, not the way some greedy multinational want us to!

Long live logic and good old fashioned common sense.

Bill:)

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
The jury is back and I'm sticking with Linux.

Although Windows 10 now boots up nearly as fast as Ubuntu, it's still slower opening programs and you need some sort of background security software, which by it's very nature uses systems resources and slows down operation.

That said, if you do use Windows 7 (or especially 8), it's probably worth getting the free upgrade within the next year and save yourself £99.99.

I've no doubt this time next year if you need a new  PC it will have Windows 10 pre-installed.

Better the devil you know?

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=1338]Ed[/user] wrote:

I've no doubt this time next year if you need a new  PC it will have Windows 10 pre-installed.

Ed

Laptops are being sold here in Australia with Windows 10 now …

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
And here Sol plus, I suspect, in UK too.

I wonder how long Windows 7 will last before you can't use it.  It's a bit cheeky to insist that you either upgrade now - even if you don't want to - or pay £100 for a product you don't actually want to buy …………..:twisted::twisted::twisted:

These blighters really have us by the short and curlies - no wonder they're worth billions.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
___
Guest user
[user=312]Chubber[/user] wrote:
It's probably been said before here, or has it?

Windows 10 browser 'Edge' doesn't present YMR members with an 'Add Photo' choice so I'm back on Firefox, not that there was a lot wrong with it anyway.
I'm working on that. The problem is that Edge, like Chrome, doesn't support the showModalDialog function.

Firefox is the best solution, but if you don't want to use it, Windows 10 includes a copy of IE11 for backwards compatibility. You can swap to IE11 easily from within Edge while viewing YMRC although you may need to log in again:

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Thanks, Mystery Man!

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I updated to Win10 a week or so ago and have just noticed that my CD/DVD drive has gone missing in My Computer. It was there in Win7. Any ideas???
I need it to play the cover DVD's from BRM

I'm old, that's why I'm allowed to change my mind, when I can find it.

My Website: index

Posted
Rating:
RFS
It doesn't show up in mine unless I put a DVD in it. Just stick the DVD in and see what happens - should be OK..

Robert

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I've got it back. I went into control panel and click on system then devices. I found the ide controller nd clicked on that. it showed two controllers a zero and a one. I uninstalled zero then rebooted . On reboot it found it and the dvd player was showing. put in a cd and it played. hope that can help somebody else if they have the same problem

I'm old, that's why I'm allowed to change my mind, when I can find it.

My Website: index

Posted
Rating:
I probably need to replace my laptop with a more modern version.  It will almost certainly come loaded with Windows 10 so I thought I might take up the free upgrade on the old one to play about with it.  I plan to keep Windows 7 on the desktop for a while longer ………

Can anyone offer any advice on the minimum RAM required to operate it ?  My current laptop appears to have around 2Gb RAM available (or slightly under that)………:roll:

I'm told it's the RAM that's important, not the storage which can now be bought cheaply as an external hard drive.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
RFS
The official line is you need a minimum 1 Gb RAM for 32-bit Windows, and 2 Gb for 64-bit.

Robert

Posted
Rating:
I've just turned the laptop on and it's 64 bit with  2.87Gb of available RAM.

The processor is a Celuron Dual Core 2.07GHz.

My problem is, it's sometimes incredibly slow to respond although I have noticed that, because I don't use it much, when I do turn it on, everything wants to update - AVG and Windows.  Last time there were 36 Windows updates to download and install.  That takes some time and uses operating capacity whilst it all downloads.

To be fair, in comparison to what was available, this laptop wasn't expensive ……………………  What I don't want to do is fork out my hard earned groats for "added" things I have no use for.  That's why it took me 100 years to move from a "normal" mobile to a smart phone although even that isn't connected to the net.  A telephone is to make telephone calls and a computer is to search the internet ………………………….:twisted:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Peter,the celeron chip was basically the economy chip from Intel.There shouldn't be a problem with this at all but it may account for the slowness to respond. I hope you enjoy Windows 10 as it is so much better than 8.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.