Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I had a hard drive. I think it was about 5 megs or there abouts.

I'm old, that's why I'm allowed to change my mind, when I can find it.

My Website: index
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I replaced all the SATA drives in my computers with SSD's.  They boot up in about 30 seconds.

Posted
Rating:
MS Dos was a steep learinng curve for me …………………:roll::roll::cheers

I've now got a twin drive external hard drive - don't know what it is but it's 2 TB running in tandem.  Supplied by a geeky friend who has shelves full of the darned things.  He keeps all his vast collections of music and films on them.  Apparently one drive constantly copies and backs up the first so if one crashes, I always have a second copy.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Come back DOS, all is forgiven! I always preferred DR-DOS, rather than MS-DOS, DR always seemed to have the edge, MS was always playing catch up.

Actually I recently bought a Panasonic Toughbook on Ebay listed as having no OS, when it arrived it had DOS 6, it had originally had Win7 Pro 64, so as I had a CD of that I installed it and used the registration key on the laptop's label.

It also had only 80Gb drive and 4Gb Ram, both of which I've upgraded to 500Gb and 8Gb respectively. 

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Is the 500 Gb an SSD, Mike?

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks Ed,

I`ve just been reading some of the other input from you guys……interesting stuff!!!.

I never have any trouble with boot times and Windows 7 because I`ve disabled all the stuff that doesn`t have to load when you first start up. I also use a program called CCleaner to clear out the build up from time to time and another program called Defraggler, which can actually defrag the boot sequence as well as defrag the drive.
When I loaded Windows 10 the actual start up became slower. I guess it needed me to go in and reset everything again. Once the system was loaded there was no significant improvement in speed.

Just as an aside….I once used Linux Puppy on an old computer I had.  It had a 40 gig hard drive…256mb RAM. You get that in a watch now. Linux Puppy was a mini operating system that loaded completely into the RAM. The result was ultra fast……as fast as anything you`ll see around at the moment and possibly faster. Trouble was that is was a bare bones system and there were compatability probs with printers etc….but crikey it was fast!!!

So I know what is possible with a good operating system, if only one could be designed where the focus is on good clean fast operation without the latest news feeds, music updates, Facebook, Twitter,amazing text effects, voice recognition, problem solving, having a conversation with it`s maker every time you turn it on, automatic updates……yeah automatic updates….don`t get me started on them….Oh well.

I`m glad I got that out of my system….:mutley:mutley:mutley

:cheers  Gormo

"Anyone who claims to have never made a mistake, never made anything!!"

https://sites.google.com/site/greatchesterfordmodelrailway/home

Posted
Rating:
If you do update to Win 10 from a previous version and you already had IE 11., do the following
1. Right click on your globe in the bottom left corner
2. A shaded area should appear along side it
3.Type in 'Internet Explorer' , press return and Internet Explorer will start
4. Right click on the 'New' IE globe on the Bottom taskbar and select 'Pin to Taskbar'

Now when you want to use IE instead of Edge just click on the IE globe on the Taskbar, it will be there all the time.

'Kev

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Out of interest.

Anybody got the Mail App to sync properly?

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
It doesn't even give me an option to sync Ed. Bit weird that.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
I have the mail app syncing fine with three separate mail accounts added to it.

gmail.com, hotmail.co.uk and outlook.com

And another tip to get full access to the old control panel is to right click the Windows start button, there's a full menu of options for you including the original control panel.

Last edit: by Campaman

Cheers

Andy

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
How did you get it to sync then Andy?,the left hand pane just says not synced yet.

Regards

Alan

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
There should be two round arrows top right Alan, just under the - Square X bar.

If you hover the mouse over it says 'sync this view' but it should work automatically anyway. Chances are if it hasn't synced, then like mine, it isn't going to.

Which ID did you use to log on to the PC with Andy, local account or your Microsoft account?

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
My local account.
No arrows either.

Regards

Alan

Posted
Rating:
Could be the local account that's the problem as Windows wont automatically know your email account,

Have you gone into settings and added your email account?

Three bars top left hand corner then pick the cog bottom left and then accounts from the settings side bar.

I use a Microsoft account as I have a Windows Phone, a Surface tablet as well as a laptop and desktop so log in using the same account to have them all syncing.

Last edit: by Campaman

Cheers

Andy

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
If you log on with the local account and try and add a hotmail account, it asks if you want to log on to the pc with your Microsoft account or put a password in for this App only.

Either way it doesn't work, I've tried both.

Searching the Web, it does appear there are a lot of people with the same problem.

Tried my GMAIL account and it synced initially and stopped. Tried sending emails between the accounts and they disappear.

I can access Hotmail via  the browser and all email accounts in Windows Live Mail, just not the Windows 10 Mail App.

Daft thing is Windows Live Calendar is fine, worked first time in the Calendar App.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
Is the 500 Gb an SSD, Mike?
No just a bog standard SATA hard disc

I was wondering if the people having Win 10 problems had any similar problems with XP, Vista, 7 or 8?

I've never used any of the MS email offerings, I use Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird, and my ISP is ntlworld part of the Virgin empire, I originally used AOL but they handed over their cable customers to NTL whose cables they had been using. I'm now getting around 90+Mb download speed.

I can't remember the last time I received any spam. I've used AVG free since for ever, no problems, had a few warnings which AVG has sorted.

I don't know if not using things like Gmail, Hotmail, Outlook Express and similar freebie mail handling has anything to do with my lack of problems or if it's just the luck of the draw.

Cheers MIKE

Posted
Rating:
I'm pretty much the same as you Mike, never used any MS offerings..
That was a handy tip. Right click on the Win logo in the BL corner, didn't know that!!

Cheers
Ron

Win 10

Proper Preparation makes for Perfect Performance!!

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=13331&forum_id=21

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Rats!  I was hoping that it would be an SSD.  :lol:

Those Toughbooks look the goods.  A bit expensive; but you get what you pay for.

Posted
Rating:
I got it for the screen, viewable outdoors in sunlight they claim, not tried it outside yet. Toughbook,  tough in that they can be dropped from table height, NO I'M NOT GOING TO TRY THAT! There are quite a few appearing on Fleabay, as you say they are a bit pricey new, like £2K+, I got mine, CF52 with i5 processor HD1080 screen,  for £450, spent just under £50 for the drive and RAM, already had Win7 Pro.  I now have an 11" Sony Vaio surplus, screen on that was not that good indoors let alone outside..:roll:

Hopefully I'll be able to copy video and photo files to USB sticks when I go to Folk festivals so I can give them to the dance teams, should save me spending hours uploading to drop box when I get home.

Cheers MIKE

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Logged in with Microsoft account and still nothing.Not bothered as i use Thunderbird anyway.

Regards

Alan

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.