Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
There are no updates listed after 28/07, when there was one, before that one on 22/07, then a bunch of 15 on 16/07, prior to that about one batch of up to about a dozen once a month, they all show different references KBxxxxxxx. Most are listed as Security update, others just Update.

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guys
Latest security information this morning is that Windows 10 acts as a "torrent" system where each computer uploads updates to those around it when on line.
This is untested but if true will add to your bandwidth costs. The suggestion is to tag the setting in automatic updates  / advanced that says you are on a metred connection which will stop that transfer.
The more we are reading for our clients the more it looks like you only have one reason to go to version 10 and that would be if you already have version 8. We have even seen where Microsoft have tagged the Windows 10 upgrade as a critical update for version 8.1 computers. If you have auto install turned on you will be on version 10 before you know it.
Andrew

Posted
Rating:
RFS
There's an option in Windows Update called "get updates from more than one place".  By default, it is set so that you can receive updates from other places and send them too.  I've just changed that option to "PCs on my network only".

Last edit: by RFS

Robert

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
G`day Folks,

I had Windows 10 for about 8 hours today. I upgraded from my Windows 7 system via the free upgrade deal.
In a nutshell…..I didn`t like it……..too many Apps working in the background and too many bells and whistles and too much back and forth transmission of information to Microsoft. One of my programs turned out to be non compatible and replacement downloads faired no better.
It was becoming an exercise in frustration even after I`d turned off a lot of the unnecessary rubbish.
So…. there is an option which allows you to return to your previous set up…..click!!!!
I`m now a happy chappy again using Windows 7 where I`m in charge of what talks to what.
I`ve also ordered an installation DVD for Ubuntu which a Linux based open source operating system. This system can be installed in parallel with Windows or even replace it if you like.
I`m losing my patience with the boys at Microsoft and their golly gee wiz bang convoluted software.
I`ll let you know how it goes.

:cheers  Gormo

"Anyone who claims to have never made a mistake, never made anything!!"

https://sites.google.com/site/greatchesterfordmodelrailway/home

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I got one of those discs, Gormo.  Once I loaded Ubuntu, I found that it wouldn't work with any Windows based software, unless I loaded a Windows carrier.  I went back to Windows 7 Ultimate.  Then I switched off the updates for Firefox and Thunderbird.  All is now well.

If it ain't broke . . .

Posted
Rating:
Well upgraded from Win 8.1 to 10 and no problems yet, in fact a couple of programs work better and faster!!

Cheers
Ron

Proper Preparation makes for Perfect Performance!!

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=13331&forum_id=21

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Switched to 10 yesterday. A few things I'm not too happy about but apart from that it all went smoothly. I don't like the new photo view pages, but no doubt I'll get used to it, and why didn't it automatically import my passwords and usernames from IE11.

I'm old, that's why I'm allowed to change my mind, when I can find it.

My Website: index

Posted
Rating:
Passwords and Usernames would be a problem for me Mike.  I don't know most of them - other than the "sensitive" ones, they're all stored on here under the "remember password" option……………:roll::roll::cry:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
RFS
[user=1235]60019Bittern[/user] wrote: Switched to 10 yesterday. A few things I'm not too happy about but apart from that it all went smoothly. I don't like the new photo view pages, but no doubt I'll get used to it, and why didn't it automatically import my passwords and usernames from IE11.

You can change the default photo viewer - click on start -> settings -> system and default apps.  You set the default program by left-clicking on the field.  I've set mine to Windows photo viewer.
When I upgraded it imported all my IE11 settings without a problem so I don't know what happened with your upgrade.

Last edit: by RFS

Robert

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=1224]gormo[/user] wrote:

I`ve also ordered an installation DVD for Ubuntu which a Linux based open source operating system. This system can be installed in parallel with Windows or even replace it if you like.
I`m losing my patience with the boys at Microsoft and their golly gee wiz bang convoluted software.
I`ll let you know how it goes.

You may not find enough substitute programs in Ubuntu to replace all the Windows programs you already have Gormo.

However, even if you stick with Windows it's useful to have another way to boot up the PC if Windows just doesn't want to work, as from Ubuntu you can still get at all the Windows files on your hard disk using it's version of File Manager.

Even if you don't have the program to run a file in Ubuntu, you can a least copy it in on to a DVD to put on another Windows PC.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
G`day Ed,

My main concern would be photo manipulation and video editing programs otherwise I would be Ok. Anyway with a dual boot system you can have the best of both worlds. I`m thinking about getting my local computer genius to install it for me so that I don`t stuff it up.
The first thing will be to run the live cd to make sure all my functions are compatible…eg. webcam, wifi, cable internet, printer, mouse and anything else I can think of. Then I will hand it over to Andy for his appraisal and expertise.

"Anyone who claims to have never made a mistake, never made anything!!"

https://sites.google.com/site/greatchesterfordmodelrailway/home

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Hi Gormo

You'll find everything should work as there are Linux/Ubuntu drivers for just about everything.

The main photo manipulation appears to be GIMP and I must admit I am struggling to get my head around it.

That said, I wasn't too good at photo manipulation in Windows anyway.

On the Windows 10 front, it does appear to be a bit faster than Windows 7.

Waiting for Windows 7 to get around to booting up and loading Firefox and MS Live Mail before I could do anything, was one of the main reasons I swapped to Linux/Ubuntu.

Don't like the fact that Windows 10 can download and install apps without asking and you can't change the setting (easily).

There seems to be a lot of interaction with Microsoft, despite turning things off and it now want's me to log on with my Microsoft account id instead of my local account.

Will I swap back to Windows from Ubuntu :hmm

Jury's still out.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
I object very strongly to Microsoft telling me what I'll do with a product I've had to buy because it came with the computer. :twisted::twisted:

It would appear that Windows 10 is even more intrusive than Windows 7 and that, I don't like.  If Microsoft want to watch some dodgy sites, let them do it on their own machines ………..:mutley:mutley

I'll agree that Windows 7 seems to take forever to load up but that could be down to the fact that my computer, being more than 24 hours old, is considered by them to be obsolete ……………….  Once it's loaded, I'm fairly happy with it but then I'm not pushing the boundaries of science in my activities !!!

As I said earlier, I'll stick with 7 until I'm taken screaming and kicking to the next offering - which, within a few months, could be Windows 10 Version 25 and still with bugs !! :roll::roll::roll: 

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
If you go for the 'Customise' option you can opt out of some of the MS intrusive stuff! :)

Cheers
Ron

Posted
Rating:
Peter, I've found a way to minimise the effect of slow boot up, I switch the PC on before I start breakfast, by the time I've finished brekkie and move to the computer it's all booted up, it then stays on until bedtime unless I'm going out for more than a couple of hours. When I come back in I switch the PC back on as I pass, by the time I've put on me slippers & put away the shopping it's all booted up again.

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:
Ha ha Mike, I used to have a PC like that!! :mutley:mutley

Cheers
Ron

Posted
Rating:
I have switched to 10, I never liked Win 8.1 which I was forced to when my XP when mammaries up. So far so good but see below

IF YOU USE McAFEE VAULTS FOR YOUR SENSITIVE STUFF

When you open your vault and open a file therein, you will find that you are subsequently unable to re-lock your vault.

You'll see 'Unable to lock vault, a file is still open. Close file and retry 'Lock'

I knew I had not left my bank details file open, but it would still not lock. BY sheer chance I looked at the 'Documents' folder to see a copy of it there under 'Easy access'. By right clicking it I was able to turn off 'Easy Access' and finally close my Vault.

I hope this helps some one as thick as me!

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
[user=1775]g0ibi[/user] wrote:
Ha ha Mike, I used to have a PC like that!! :mutley:mutley

Cheers
Ron
I think you passed it on to me Ron… Mind you it's a good excuse to make a cup of tea.

All this hoo-ha about Windows 10 - I'm quite happy with Windows 7! (but then I was with XP… etc etc)

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I was happy with Windows 3.11. Didn't take up much memory either and most of the programmes were less than a meg in size. Still I suppose things have gone ahead since then but I don't think it was always for the better.

I'm old, that's why I'm allowed to change my mind, when I can find it.

My Website: index

Posted
Rating:
Yes I remember the change from Win 3 to Win3.1 then 3.11, heady days!! 5" floppies or cassettes! Ha ha :):)

Cheers
Ron

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.