Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
The original advice, was to wait, until bugs had been sorted, before rushing in. john

Probably a minimum of 3 years? Let's face it they are still issuing updates for 7, which implies they ain't got all the bugs out of that yet!

Maybe if they employed some hackers they could get something fireproof, sort of "set a thief to catch a thief" policy.

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=1397]Dorsetmike[/user] wrote:
The original advice, was to wait, until bugs had been sorted, before rushing in. john

Probably a minimum of 3 years? Let's face it they are still issuing updates for 7, which implies they ain't got all the bugs out of that yet!

Maybe if they employed some hackers they could get something fireproof, sort of "set a thief to catch a thief" policy.

But crafty MS say the free upgrade opportunity from 7 or 8 only lasts for one year.

Ed

Last edit: by Ed

Posted
Rating:
RFS
Nothing to stop you from saving a copy of your C drive (eg image backup), doing the W10 update and checking that W10 is activated, and then restoring your C drive from the backup.  In that way your product key is registered for W10 on that PC, and you can upgrade to W10 after July 2016 if you choose.

Robert

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Two days ago. I decided to take up the offer of a free update to W10 from W7 as the free time ends at the end of July.
It took about 5 hours to download & another 2 to install and at the last minute, it gave up - not sitting in front of the PC all the time, I didn't see the reason but it decided to revert back to W7 by itself.
That part was easy, put a comment on screen doing so and after another hour, the screen saver kicked in so I thought - good    BUT no. I had to switch off and reboot & give the PC an evil glare and eventually got it back  BUT still Microsoft said "lets try again" even though I deleted the Update  Assistant.  Searching the Net, I found this site
GRC | Never10   and it all works - I now longer do not get advised to update and even when the Windows update suggest to download KB3035583 to update W7, I hide it so it never comes up again.

I can only assume, even though I had sufficient memory for the update, it found something wrong in my PC yet W7 works OK for me.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
If it ain't broke Ron, there's no reason to fix it.  I shall resolutely stick with Win 7 until forced to change.  I only gave up XP when I had to, it worked fine (apart from having to use an old version of Exploder).

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Could well be hardware Sol.

I had to upgrade the BIOS on my Dell Inspiron N5110 to get the upgrade to work, even though it's not very old.

Might be worth a Google search on the make and model to see if anyone else has had a similar problem, just in case you do want to update in the future.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
I had a couple of updates fail with the Update Assitant, I just used the create media option instead and burned the update to a DVD, this has worked on every machine I have updated (around 20 now).

Cheers

Andy

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I'm fortunate enough to know nothing whatsoever about windows, updates, computers in general so have an easy time of it providing I don't ask it to do something it says it can but can't like teach me how to photoshop in three easy stages !

I've no idea how many windows my computer has, don't wanna know, don't check and don't care anyway - and I've got a full head of hair because I don't get involved in ' must have gizmo's' and as long as I can log in ( not always a possibility regardless of how many windows you've got ) Email, upload pictures and post to forums then windows whatever can go to hell and so can Bill Gates !

Neh.

Posted
Rating:
I could not agree more Allan. I have always bought refurbished desktops - this one two years ago for £85, with Windows 7. I turn off updates - it works perfectly well without them. If it plays up, then onto Ebay and get another.
No smartphone, Ipad or tablet - why would I want them? Just an ancient mobile pay-as-you-go in the car for emergencies.
(I'm 73, and a grumpy old man…!)

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
You might consider yourself a grumpy old man Gastwo, but you recognize unnecessary technoligy when you see it as I do when an army of whiz kids are almost begging me every time I turn the telly on  ( took two weeks to learn how to do that and another two to learn how to turn it off ) to get their 'app' - whatever an app is - half an apple maybe ?

When I first got a computer I was quite happy to see a picture come up on the screen then happier still a year later when I  found out how to get rid of it for another.

And what the hell is a 'Ctrl',an 'Alt Gr ' a 'PrSc/SysRq' and how come my computer works perfectly without ever having used any of them  ?

Gotta fill the keyboard up with something I suppose…And F1 to F12 ? Don't even go there !

Allan

Last edit: by allan downes

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=1427]allan downes[/user] wrote:
 And what the hell is a 'Ctrl',an 'Alt Gr ' a 'PrSc/SysRq' and how come my computer works perfectly without ever having used any of them  ?

Gotta fill the keyboard up with something I suppose…And F1 to F12 ? Don't even go there !

Allan
Allan

CTRL is one key used with another as a shortcut  such as CTRL  plus P sets up printing for example in spreadsheets and documents

https://www.vsni.co.uk/products/genstat/htmlhelp/windows/ControlKeyShortcuts.htm

I use Ctrl C    and CTRL  V a lot

F1-12 are function keys again used a lot in spreadsheets for example
Welcome internetfixes.com - BlueHost.com

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Thanks Sol, but apart from not knowing what a spreadsheet is, why would I want one when I've survived without one, Ctrl and F12  for over 80 years ?

Anyway, a little knowledge is dangerous…well in my hands anyway !

Thanks again.

Allan

Posted
Rating:
I'm partially with Allan and certainly with Shaun here.

I have an old laptop and a desktop both with Windows 7 Home Premium installed.  They both work perfectly although the laptop is very slow.

I also have a newer laptop with Windows 10 installed.  It also works well although is not used often.

I will not allow Microsoft to tell me what I will and won't do !!!  I bought their products for no other reason than they were pre-installed.

I'm not a computer buff - I simply use one because I have to in order to do what I want to do.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
The problen with comps is that they're loaded down with pure crap that nobody really wants and does absolutely nothing at all. They don't clean up your computer because it didn't need cleaning up in the first place. They don't speed up your computer but will screw it up and all free for a monthly sum !

So sez I, stick with the factory default and your computer will do what most of us want a computer to do - just don't ask it questions coz the answers can be expensive.

And when you see " You are just three easy steps away from downloading our free product ! Which when transalated means " This is going to take you hours. Have your card details ready to save time " Then if you are fool enough to fall for it you will get an email instructing you to " Phone this number to activate your account " which just happens to be somewhere in the US where you will be greeted with " Hi ! and welcome to Rip Off dot com. Just hold the line for a second ( one hour at a pound a minute ) and a team member will be with you very shortly !

And pigs might fly. 

Allan

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I have four computers in the train room.  They upgraded to Windows 10 without incident - except one, where I had neglected to load Avast and Malwarebytes; and of course a I got a virus and had to redo it.  :oops:

The three laptops have been upgraded to solid state drives.

As well, my desktop is upgraded every few years with new hardware.  This time around coincided with the upgrade, so I fitted a new mother board with a quad core processor, 16 Gb of RAM, and - most importantly, a solid state 480 Gb C: drive.

It handled the Windows 10 easily and even with the slow 4 download and .5 upload internet speeds, the computer is super fast.

When editing photos, I can arrow across a string of them lickety split.

For me, the secret is to keep your hardware up to date.

Posted
Rating:
I was using my lap top a few weeks ago, can,t remember what I was doing, when for some reason it started down loading W10, not being particulaly computer literate I didn,t know what to do about it, do I stop it and wreck whats already on there? or just let it go ahead? well I just let it do its worst, took ages, and after wards I couldn,t make head or tail of the damned thing, eventually I have sussed it out until I wanted to do some printing, would it work? would it heck as like! any way I managed to sort it and I,m slowly but surely getting to grips with it.

Pete.  

it was already on fire when I got here, honest!

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Technology wasn't ever meant to be easy  Pete. The more difficult it is the more money the comp nerds make. "Well done lad, they'll never figure that one out, here's a bonus "

Bring back the clockwork key and rubber band I say.

Allan

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Windows 10 has the facility to shut down applications which aren't being used after about half an hour.  One of these is the driver for the scan facility on my laser printer.

Fortunately Fuji Xerox has an excellent help desk.  They have explained that and other special features in Windows 10.  There are a couple of ways to switch the driver back on.  My favourite is to do a restart.

As my desktop runs continuously from about 6.00 a.m. when I get up until about 10.00 p.m. when I go to bed; Murphy's Law dictates that on the rare occasions I want to scan something, the driver will have gone to sleep.

I just hit Power  >  Restart  and off we go.

The Restart also clears the Cookies and the browsing history, keeping everything clear.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member

Think I'll move to Oz…
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.