Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
My Win 10 upgrade went through OK, 2hrs 45 mins!!
I  have used AVG for 3 years now without problems and would not change! :)

Cheers
Ron

Proper Preparation makes for Perfect Performance!!

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=13331&forum_id=21
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hmm ……………this bit worries me Ed - particularly where he says they're still working on it:

"Right now we're releasing Windows 10, and because Windows 10 is the  last version of Windows, we're all still working on Windows 10," said  Jerry Nixon, Microsoft's developer evangelist, at the Ignite tech  conference.

I do wonder why they can't get it right before they go to the market.  If they did, we wouldn't feel quite so cheated.  Fortunately, I avoided most of his real disasters ………..by NOT updating to the latest offering ….;-)

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Don't think there'll be much choice from now on Peter, all devices (PCs Phones, laptops, etc.) will run Windows 10, or some slight variation of it, if it's a Windows device.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Do they still sell stamps in post offices ? .......................:hmm:hmm

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Yes Peter they do.:)

Proper Preparation makes for Perfect Performance!!

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=13331&forum_id=21

Posted
Rating:
Windows 10 will be the last version of Windows. Instead of massive rewrites every couple of years they will issue constant upgrades. This means they will always be working on it.

Posted
Rating:
Re my post elsewhere about recent difficulty using CTRL + mouse wheel for zoom, and lack of update notifications on YMR….

Solved!

Pre-latest-update [Tuesday?] the mouse wheel zoom  worked with the left-hand Ctrl key…

Post-update it works with the right-hand Ctrl key.

Didn't realise there were two Ctrl keys? No, nor did I.

Now, you think I am daft, without looking at your watch….

How many numbers are there on the dial?

Having un-ticked and re-ticked the notifications button in preferences I have notifications back, huzzah! Now at least I can choose to ignore people as and when I wish to.

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Sounds as if the left hand CTRL key doesn't know what the right hand CTRL key is doing Doug. I know several people with a similar problem!

Glad you have it sorted though and now you have notifications back, you can ignore this post. Now where's the IMF key, so this message can self destruct in four seconds?

Bill :) 

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
[user=1779]Chiefnerd[/user] wrote:
Windows 10 will be the last version of Windows. Instead of massive rewrites every couple of years they will issue constant upgrades. This means they will always be working on it.
Problem is, where as previously you knew if a newer version of Windows needed a higher spec machine to run, you now won't know until an update automatically downloaded gets applied, and your PC expires :roll:

…. or am I being overly cautious and the wonderful people at Microsoft have something included in any update which will warn that your particular piece of kit isn't powerful enough to have it applied :hmm

(in which case, what do you doquest:)

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Downgrade back to Win7?:mutley

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:
Part of the process of windows 10 update if you happen to sit and watch it is a check to make sure your hardware is capable of running it.

Not that I sat and watched it, just caught that screen as I was checking to see how far it had got.

Cheers

Andy

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
have three comps on W10 and all ok,I did have my doubts at first but would not go back to the old ones,10 is much quicker too,
:thumbs;-):cool:
Owen

web-cam 2.2.74.174:8081
if the lights are off no cam

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
All we need to do now is to get Mike to upgrade to Windows 10. :mutley:mutley

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
..............and me ..............:roll::roll::roll:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
there are those of us who never will. Windows 7, is just as quick, with no leasing clouds on the horizon. john

Posted
Rating:
RFS
The November update to Windows 10 - known as version 1511 - has suddenly been withdrawn by MS. If you try to download it via the Media Creation Tool (Microsoft's previously recommended procedure) it now gives you the original version 10240.  And it's also no longer being offered by Windows Update.

See http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-yanks-latest-windows-10-release-from-its-download-server/

Last edit: by RFS

Robert

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
So that's why my desktop hasn't found the 1511 update over the last couple of days, yet both of the laptops have got it.

I went in to Windows on this laptop yesterday to run a programme that won't work under Linux, and found Control Panel no longer works.

Didn't bother to investigate, just did what I wanted and re-booted back into Linux.

Maybe the answer lies somewhere in this version.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Don't tell me they've fouled up again ………………………:roll::roll::roll:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
RFS
I don't think we have the full story yet. 

I spent a couple of hours yesterday using the Media Creation Tool to update one of my systems (a laptop) to 1511, as per Microsoft's advice. On completion, it didn't seem any different.  Closer inspection showed it had updated from version 10240 - to 10240! And used up most of my C drive's free space doing so.  Only then did a Google search reveal why. A day earlier and it would have worked - and I would have had a copy of 1511 for my other PCs.

Needless to say I am miffed.  Fortunately I used to do IT support, and would never do an upgrade of this kind without a system backup first. Hence I took an image backup of the C drive before starting, so was able to get back to square 1 easily.

Now I'm not happy that I have 4 PCs in this household on Windows 10, all of which may get this upgrade at a time of Microsoft's choosing, not mine, and each will be a 3 Gb download.

Internet W10 forums are in uproar about this, as you would expect. So things might change quickly.  At least all of my W10 systems are not having any problems and I'd like to keep it that way!

Robert

Posted
Rating:
Its becoming a comedy of errors and unfufilled expectations. Apparently a major Bit Locker Bug, in 1511, is the possible culprit. The concensus is it was released too soon, hence this massive update to correct issues. Let us hope so, else us doom and gloom guys who stayed with windows 7, will be proved to have made the correct decision. The original advice, was to wait, until bugs had been sorted, before rushing in. john
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.