Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Well, I have managed to get Windows 10 running. First attempt did not work, due to having a Linux partition. Anyhow saved all my files, started from scratch with windows 7 disk and reloaded my programmes. this process also sorted the partitions out back to normal. It is a bit of a faff but it certainly cleans the machine of a load of junk and programmes one never uses.

Any how after a few days for Windows 7 getting itself up to date the upgrade logo appeared and I did the deed. Went like clockwork. No problems. All the programmes work. Panda anti-virus set itself up OK and PC Mechanics keeps the PC tidy still as it did before.

Only thing I am missing is Microsoft Hearts. I tried a couple app downloads of the game but they did not seem as good. Mind you, as I played it rather a lot it is probably for the best.

Does not seem too bad. Explorer replaced by Edge - not impressed there so went back to Sea Monkey.

The actual stuff on the screen and symbols I think look better. Not sure about all the apps though.

I too have a Windows smart phone. Nokia, cost £40 payg. Old Sagem getting a bit past it, battery not lasting too long. However, i did keep the old phone and while buying the new one at the Vodaphone store got the lad to unlock it. He was happy to do this for no charge, but I had to nip around to Poundland for a £1 SIM card for anyone except Vodaphone! So now I have two phones. This is useful though.

Free wifi is available all over the place, shops, buses and trains. On some you just log on, but on a few a mobile phone number is needed so than can send a code, and get your phone number for junk calls. This is where the old phone now with £10 of payg on board is useful. I use that number so that any junk then goes to phone that will have little use.

Nokia 420 with windows is not a bad basic phone as as well as wifi it also has GPS, camera - still and movie and is easier to use as a calculator and other practical jobs. I think I will get the option for it to be upgraded to windows 10 but so far nothing has happened. I am not sure if they have actually started with the phones yet.

I think I will give the phone a try out as a camera at a model railway show this weekend for the first time. Interesting to see how it compares with digital cameras.

freelance model railways and tramways
index02
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
RFS
If you want the Windows 7 games on Windows 10 you can get a fixed-up version here.

http://winaero.com/blog/get-windows-7-games-for-windows-10/

Robert

Posted
Rating:
Hi, this is my first post on here from burgandy, in rural france. Only run windows 7 and only will. Windows 10, and its future, not for me. Have large 3 rail hornby dublo layout, Triang TT, Ngauge, Dc layout, plus now DCC, run with Hornby Railmaster, and Elite controller. About 100 locos, hornby/ Bachmann/Roco. Newly into DCC sound, with TTS locos, very impressed. Have 20 running loops of all gauges, with 16 DCC points. All layouts on tier system, on Table Tennis Table base, into which, i am not allowed to drill. Makes wiring a nightmare Aged 72, and have been running 3 rail, since 1969. Sorry to go on a bit, but was asked to give introduction, and as i am vehemently opposed to windows 10. concept, thought this a good place to post. john 

Posted
Rating:
Peter
In round numbers you can use up to 4Gb with 32Bit software and above that for 64Bit software.
At work we recommend 4Gb for Windows XP and 8Gb as a start for Windows 7, 8.x and 10. Having said that the more the merrier.
If you are happy to keep the current laptop and are OK with the speed just use it knowing it will be slower. If not do a price comparison. Sometimes memory upgrades are more costly on older models than just replacing the unit.

Andrew

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Andrew.

I know my laptop is slow - sometimes painfully so - although part of that is because I don't use it enough.  Each time I turn it on, there seem to be updates of almost everything installed on there.  That eats up speed and slows the whole thing down.

We don't get a great speed here in any case but waiting for it to do something positive usually ends up in my either losing interest in or completely forgetting what I wanted it to do in the first place ……………..:twisted:

Having looked at some prices, I do wonder if I really do need it anyway …………….:roll::roll::roll:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
I have had Windows 10 for about a month now and have found that it does have a few differences to my old Windows 7 but has not given me any great troubles.
Now I would be hard pressed to even explain the differences.

John.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
When doing the upgrade from W7 to W10 via the icon that appeared in the Toolbar , did anyone find this - an excerpt from a site

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/215451-windows-10-is-a-better-windows-7-if-you-can-get-the-upgrade-to-work

Hopefully, it means  Microsoft will be able to deal with the issues in a more-polished manner  for its big November update. In the meantime, if you want to try to  make the jump from a healthy Windows 7 install to Windows 10 in its  current form — and have hardware that is more than a couple years old —  make sure to have good backups, and be prepared to spend some time  wrestling with drivers, software upgrades, and possibly even replacing  some older devices. Otherwise, waiting until Microsoft rolls out its  Threshold 2 update (which would have been called SP1 in the old days) is  likely your best course of action.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
I have upgraded the laptop from Win 8.1 and the PC from Win 7 and had no problem with either. The laptop upgrade means all my astro software now works with the latest updates and drivers! :):)

(& was free!)

Cheers
Ron

Proper Preparation makes for Perfect Performance!!

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=13331&forum_id=21

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Just a word of warning when you get the update to Windows 10 1511, it's almost like a total re-install similar to the upgrade from Windows 7/8 and may take some time.

Both the laptops I've done this week took around 3 1/2 hours.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I must be very lucky Ed.It's just taken me about a half hour but i do have a high speed connection.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Our normal download speed is around 4.5 Mb/s Alan, but it went through the black screen with the circular percentage indicator all over again.

Copying files, installing device drivers and configuring windows with re-boots in-between.

After all that, it just seems to have added Cortana :???:

Ed

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
Thanks Andrew.

I know my laptop is slow - sometimes painfully so - although part of that is because I don't use it enough.  Each time I turn it on, there seem to be updates of almost everything installed on there.  That eats up speed and slows the whole thing down.

We don't get a great speed here in any case but waiting for it to do something positive usually ends up in my either losing interest in or completely forgetting what I wanted it to do in the first place ……………..:twisted:

Having looked at some prices, I do wonder if I really do need it anyway …………….:roll::roll::roll:

Peter, and anyone else still running an old 'pooter [I keep my old XP for surfing, some old games,  and suchlike]

Try AVG Tune-up. Yes it costs to download the first time if you buy it, but download the free 30 day trial and I will email you a work-round to remove it completely so as to leave no trace, and reload the free trial for another thirty days.

It really did clean up my 13 year old XP machine, and make it a useful tool again.

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Thanks Doug,i've just bought that. Bah!!!!!

Regards

Alan

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
[user=1338]Ed[/user] wrote:
Our normal download speed is around 4.5 Mb/s Alan, but it went through the black screen with the circular percentage indicator all over again.

Copying files, installing device drivers and configuring windows with re-boots in-between.

After all that, it just seems to have added Cortana :???:

Ed

Strange that,i had Cortana on my original download.I didn't have any reboots either other than a restart at the end.

Regards

Alan

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Both laptops have done the same during this update and I have a desktop left to do, but not today :lol:

Didn't think Cortana was available up to now outside the US and you got a message saying 'not available in your region', unless you told it you were in the US.

Don't want Cortana anyway, just trying to keep Windows up-to-date in case one day I might want to use it.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
I only got cortana working by installing the speech and typing engines, think they were in with the language settings

Cheers

Andy

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Strange again.One thing different from others is that i never had an update icon in my taskbar even though i have a recent laptop. 1 year old. I had to go and find the upgrade from a third party source.

Regards

Alan

Posted
Rating:
I have a paid for version of AVG "Tune up" for my 3 computers, one of which used to run XP.  I can't switch it on !!!  Not sure if it's the switch or the drive that's the problem sao I might have a poke around myself - afterall, if I do mess it up, I'll be no worse off than I am now.

AVG are asking me to renew my Tune-Up subs - not sure whether to do so or not as I have no idea what I've gained since I installed it ………………. :roll::roll:  I do pay for the AVG anti-virus etc. package and am happy with that - I think ………….. :hmm

I'm waiting until they bring out Windows 11 before I upgrade to 10.  They always seem to get things wrong.  More to do with commerce than simply running computers.  To my mind, there wasn't much wrong with XP or 7 but they insisted of ruining things with Windows 8 in a desperate (and failed) effort to compete with Apple …………:twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:  

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
AVG tune up works in the background Peter although i still do a manual tune up every so often.Windows 10 ?, it's free and so much better than 8.

Regards

Alan

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
I'm waiting until they bring out Windows 11 before I upgrade to 10.  They always seem to get things wrong.  More to do with commerce than simply running computers.  To my mind, there wasn't much wrong with XP or 7 but they insisted of ruining things with Windows 8 in a desperate (and failed) effort to compete with Apple …………:twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:  
You might have a bit of a wait Peter.

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/microsoft-confirms-there-will-be-no-windows-11-1293309

Ed

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.