Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
RFS
You have a smart phone? Well you're more up to date in that department than I am!  I just have a pay-as-you-go one for emergencies when I'm out.

Looks like you have enough memory. It's no doubt got 3 Gb but some of that is used by the motherboard and/or graphics card.

If you apply all the outstanding Windows updates you should then find a "get Windows 10" icon on the taskbar.  If you run this it will do a compatibility check to see if your PC's hardware is compatible.

And if your current OS is 32-bit it will update that to 32-bit. I assume you're at least Windows 7 to get the free upgrade?

Robert
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Well first Win10 update under way! Some new bits like the Credentials manager which saves all your passwords etc , didn't take long before the first update!!

Cheers
Ron

Proper Preparation makes for Perfect Performance!!

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=13331&forum_id=21

Posted
Rating:
Thanks guys.

As I said Alan, it wasn't expensive when I bought it.  I got it mainly so I could easily transport photos to show to my Mum and to "stay in touch" without using my brother's desktop when I went to UK.  It's extremely handy for that and always goes with me although, now my Mum is no longer with us, I insist my brother and his wife sit through the photos ………………………:lol::lol::lol::lol:

It has indeed got 3Gb Robert and, as you say, some is used for "internal works" leaving me to play with 2.87Gb.  It's a 64 bit machine so, from what you say, it needs 2Gb just to operate in any case.

It is loaded with Windows 7 and the "free upgrade" logo is there in the toolbar.  Presumably it will only upgrade that 1 machine, not my whole setup ……….:roll: (naturally, all our computers use the same internet connection but presumably MS will only be interested in the installed OS on eachy machine)

I'm now wondering if I really do need a new machine or to presevere with this one ……………I could buy two or three sound chipped locos for the price of a new laptop ……………:hmm

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
I've sent off my request for an upgrade from my laptop.  I'm slightly concerned that they only asked for my e-mail address and they'd inform me when my upgrade was ready.

As both computers use the same e-mail address, I'm concerned that they'll upgrade both.  That I don't want !!  I want to stay with Windows 7 on my desktop.

Has anyone with multi computers had any experience of this ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Yes Peter, it asked to upgrade our Win 7 PC but we declined the invite and only my laptop was upgraded (which was Win 8.1 !!)

Cheers
Ron

Posted
Rating:
RFS
Peter - I wouldn't bother doing it that way. I'd suggest cancelling the reservations you've made (easily done from the same place) and instead download the ISO file from here -

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

At the end of this process it will ask you if you want to write a DVD, which is what I did.  Now you can update each system under your own control, and you've only had one 3 Gb download.  Just insert the DVD and run the setup.exe file. Much easier than letting Windows Update do it.

Last edit: by RFS

Robert

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
My laptop was 8.1 and i didn't have the icon in the system tray.I had to google it and download it from another site.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
I updated yesterday, all done in a couple of hours.

Being forewarned by the comments in this thread was great.

When it came to installing I used the " custom instal " which allowed me to turn off all the intrusive Microsoft gathering stuff.

I spent a couple of hours last night getting used to it and so far it is performing ok.

John.

Posted
Rating:
I'm currently downloading via the link Robert posted.  It's been going now for 3hrs 30 minutes and says it's downloaded 40% ………..:shock::shock::shock:

I presume this probably has something to do with our connection speed (1.9 Meg) - and using 2 computers and an iPad on the same line ……..

I think I'll call a halt and stick with what I already have.  I've got till next year to upgrade for free ………………..:hmm

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Leave it running overnight Peter :) thats what I do with anything big

cheers

Matt
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
That first Win10 update was a nightmare! I had to re-register with MS and I could not find my password anywhere!! Sorted now but not sure what they've changed??

Cheers
Ron

Posted
Rating:
I didn't think it was that big Matt.  I think they said I'd need 3Gig of disc space but I suppose, with a connection of 2Mb, the calculation is fairly simple - it's going to take a long time, a very long time, to download.

I'll leave it running overnight and see what I get in the morning……………;-)

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=1775]g0ibi[/user] wrote:
That first Win10 update was a nightmare! I had to re-register with MS and I could not find my password anywhere!! Sorted now but not sure what they've changed??

Cheers
Ron
Oh my Lord - don't tell me they've fouled up yet again …………..

They've probably removed your blocks on sending them your personal info Ron …………..:roll::roll::roll:

Reading through this thread again, it may be that, if you're a complete dummy like me, upgrading an existing computer is a no-no.  Buying a new one is the only safe and easy option - but then you'd have to learn to use Windows 10 anyway !!!! 

I'm going out to buy a pen and writing paper tomorrow ……………..they're easier to use than these things and, most importantly, I'm in charge !!!  :thumbs:cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
with a connection of 2Mb, the calculation is fairly simple - it's going to take a long time, a very long time, to download.

Bring it over here Peter, just done a speed check, bit slow tonight only 91.26M down 6.08 up. :roll: 

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:
Project abandoned !!

Apparently, my laptop stops downloading if it's not used after a period.  This morning, the little wheel wasn't turning and the download was showing 42% ………………:twisted::twisted::twisted:  When I touched the keys, the wheels started again but, to be honest, I have better things to do than sit infront of a screen waiting for a wheel to stop turning ……………

Whilst I know it goes dormant if not used when on the battery, it's supposed to stay active forever when plugged in.  Certailny the screen and screen saver were working but the download from MS had clearly stopped soon after I hit the sack last night.

Infernal machines !!!!!

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
You need to change the power settings Peter.

Right mouse click the desktop and select personalize. Select the screen saver and then power settings. Just make sure it always stays on, on mains power.

No sleep/hibernate mode or whatever MS call it and to make sure it's doing the download, don't let it dim or turn off the screen.

You can always go and change it back after the download, or in Windows 10 after the upgrade.

Alternatively, give the PC a new lease of life and use Linux :mutley

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Ed, the power settings are OK - apparently …………..

When it's on battery power, it's in energy saving mode but when it's plugged in, it never sleeps or powers down - at least, that's what the settings say.

I'll just stick with Windows 7 until I'm forced to change.  That was my first thought and one should always go with the gut reaction …………………………

I won't risk problems with the desktop so won't download it to here but I could manage without the laptop if all went belly up.  That's why I thought I'd give it a whirl but I've lost the will. :cheers

Windows 7 works for me so why mend it ? :twisted::twisted::twisted:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Windows 10 downloaded on my new CAD laptop, came installed with 8.1 but took advantage of the free download.

Thanks for the discussion lads, helped me make the decision. Turned all of the intrusive Microsoft options off in custom settings.

Posted to the forum using Edge. I use photobucket to post my photos and no problems so far.

cheers
Marty

Posted with Win 10 Edge browser.

Last edit: by Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
It's worth trying the download again Peter, it should carry on from where it left off.

To be on the safe side, turn any screen saver off entirely.

I upgraded my sister's pc which has a Celeron Dual-Core T3100 processor running at 1.9GHz and 2GB memory and it runs ok.

No faster that under Windows 7 but at least not slower and she won't have to pay the £99.99 to upgrade.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
[user=1775]g0ibi[/user] wrote:

Cheers
Ron
Oh my Lord - don't tell me they've fouled up yet again …………..

They've probably removed your blocks on sending them your personal info Ron …………..:roll::roll::roll:

Reading through this thread again, it may be that, if you're a complete dummy like me, upgrading an existing computer is a no-no.  Buying a new one is the only safe and easy option - but then you'd have to learn to use Windows 10 anyway !!!! 

I'm going out to buy a pen and writing paper tomorrow ……………..they're easier to use than these things and, most importantly, I'm in charge !!!  :thumbs:cheers
What's wrong with a slate and chalk? The original tablet.

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.