Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
#202137 (In Topic #11169)
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I've just upgraded to Windows 10 for no other reason than i couldn't stand Windows 8.1.
Early days but already i can feel my blood pressure coming down.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Did mine a few days ago Alan , seems better so far, a few minor issues with Asus drivers being replaced so a couple of function keys not working right.            Edge ( the internet browser ) seams sluggish but that could be the two tin cans and string  ( BT) playing up with the damp weather lol

Cheers

Matt
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I doubt I'll bother, only had 7 for a year, it ain't broke so I don't need to fix it, plus I'd be a bit worried by this

Windows 10 spying: How to opt out of Microsoft's intrusive new terms of use | The Independent | The Independent

Shades of big bruvver watching.

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
that is why I am waiting till after october,it seems that microsoft are launching a very large update ( patch ) for 10 then,  I also am not happy about their policy of making updates compulsery even if they alter your data,and you can not uninstall as they will be installed again.it seems big brother as come of age!!!
:thumbs;-):cool:

my webcam link 6.19.184.67:8080

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
[user=1397]Dorsetmike[/user] wrote:
I doubt I'll bother, only had 7 for a year, it ain't broke so I don't need to fix it, plus I'd be a bit worried by this

My laptop came with windows 8 Mike so i didn't have a lot to lose.

Regards

Alan

Posted
Rating:
This comment directed at those in Australia with a need to use Auskey for government communications. Think accounting, tax and such. Windows 10 natively is not supported by Auskey yet. It does not come with Internet Explorer. You need to manually download and install version 11 of IE to be able to use the Auskey.

Regards
Andrew

Posted
Rating:
I only upgrade if I absolutely have to.

I stuck with XP until the computer started giving problems when I had no choice but to buy one with Windows 7 installed.  I didn't bother with "8" which seemed to me, to be their attempt to pick up some of the iPad market.

Reading about this anticipated patch, suggests that yet again, they've come to the market with an untested programme.

I suspect the "spy in the screen" situation, whilst claimed to be something to do with government requirements to track online activity, has far more to do with Microsoft's marketing department.  Not satisfied with virtually controlling the desktop market, they also want a rake-off via advertisers.  Like banks, the bigger they get, the greedier they become !!! :twisted::twisted:

As per my opening, call me a Luddite, but I'll upgrade when there's no other option and not until !!!

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
As per my opening, call me a Luddite, but I'll upgrade when there's no other option and not until !!!  
Welcome to the club Peter, I do hope that you don't partake of the other anathemae like Faecesbook or Twatter, nor play with things like iPads, iPhones etc, those could get your Luddite rating reduced!

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Lol if the likes of Microsoft are interested  in tiny minnows like me then gawd help em ,the advertisers will be demanding money back through lack of sales. And these companies already know everything about us anyway … Every time you buy something these days you are tracked…   But…you DCC GUYS , You do realise DCC was invented by a WOMAN !   All those chips    they are watching you   your wives / partners have an App on their phone …they know when you are "playing trains " they know what you are running and as soon as you fire up a new engine , the chip immediately sends out a signal to the nearest App " saying " help unauthorized purchase ! ".  Be warned  Big brother is watching you

:mutley
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
App " saying " help unauthorized purchase
so that`s how I got caught out,,, :roll: looks like big sister is worse than big brother,,:mutley:mutley
:thumbs;-):cool:

my webcam link 6.19.184.67:8080

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Yup , but in Toto's case the App sent a message to App support.  "HELP…ERROR… INFORMATION OVERLOAD…REBOOT NEEDED "

:mutley:mutley:mutley
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Fortunately, Liz is smart enough not to have a smart phone. :roll::roll:  She does however, sit watching the electric meter and,  I can often get away with an 0-6-0 (especially when I let her do the ironing as a treat), but, as soon as anything bigger starts up, she's aware ……………:mutley:mutley  The attic access door is double locked - from inside and the drawbridge hauled up !!! …………:roll::roll:

I have been known to frequent Faecesbook when I'm really bored but I've never Twattered ……………..:oops:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
HI, just had a read of the independent link regarding disabling microsofts spying on windows 10 users, couldn,t make head or tale of it, I,ve only just started getting my head around windows 8 so I very much doubt I will be upgrading and having to start all over again with another system I will not understand :shock:.

Cheers, Pete.  

it was already on fire when I got here, honest!

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
If you can understand windows 8 Pete,and i applaud you for that as you must be the only one,you won't have a problem with 10.So much better already.

Regards

Alan

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hiya Pete, must admit so far I'm liking windows 10 seems stable , loads and shuts down fast , not huge differences from windows 8 but you now have the start menu and desktop back  on the front page ..The App desktop is now in its own window (left click on start menu button ) rather than being the default screen….If you are already on windows 8 I would say go for it while its a fee upgrade mate

Cheers

Matt
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Alan, I wouldn,t say that I understand windows 8 its just it is the only system I have used to any extent and it came already loaded on my laptop when purchased, previously I didn,t have internet access as my computer was useless so I rarely used it other than to download photos and print them off, I have no idea what the operating system was, probably windows 1/2 , I have never owned a smart phone my wife has one and it drives me mad, left to me it would go in the bin!-I don,t like phones, I am a tech luddite-as most of you will have probably guessed before now so the apps type system on windows 8 meant nothing to me and I have had to learn by trial and error I am only recently getting to grips with it.
Thanks Matt, but I will stick with what I have, as "they" say better the devil you know ( a bit about! ).

Cheers, Pete.    

it was already on fire when I got here, honest!

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Lol no problem Pete,  If you didn't work up through the upgrades to windows 8 you wouldn't really know how bad it was . they seem to have taken the good of windows 7 , taken out some of the bad bits from Windows 8 , skipped windows nine ( was probably in development till they realised how much windows 8 was disliked ). And sidestepped to Windows 10 which so far….seems good

Cheers

Matt
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
We have heard two stores about naming. The first was that Windows 9 would in name be too close to Windows 95/98 and people would become (more?)confused. Secondly they wanted to distance themselves as far as possible from Windows 8.0.
Regards
Andrew

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Although I'm using Linux/Ubuntu, my laptop is duel boot with Windows 7.

I was only booting into Windows 7 about once a month to allow it to do updates, so I thought I'd upgrade it to Windows 10.

It's failed and sits at a black screen and I suspect it's either a screen driver problem or the upgrade didn't download properly.

Looking around the web there appear to be other people with similar problems and I've no doubt more will be reported as time goes on.

Unless you have some sort of system recovery media such as a DVD (which isn't normally supplied nowadays), I would suggest holding off for a while, as you have a year in which to update.

Just my view.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
The Millennium Edition was a disaster, Windows 8 was a disaster and now they expect people to jump into their next offering without so much as the blink of an eye………………:roll::roll::roll::roll:

Once bitten, twice shy …………….  What's the phrase when you've been bitten twice ?

95 was good, XP was good - why do they have to replace things that work with things that don't ?  :twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

'Petermac
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.