The plan

Posted
Rating:
Hi Mike
Just looking at the photo of how you situated your controllers, this has given me an idea how to fasten mine (I've got three and have puzzled how to set them up and where) It may seem simple to you or others, but this is just one of things I've had a blank with!

Always try to look on the bright side of life!

Barney
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Barney,  still have a Kato turntable controller to add on the left hand side, that will use double sided tape, it's much lighter in weight than the other two.

I'm having to start thinking about "town planning" I need to use a couple of Peco point motors surface mounted, so need to figure out what buildings will be in the vicinity to hide them under.

Looking at the upper level most of the buildings will be railway ones, station, goods shed, engine sheds etc and with the amount of track there won't be much room for a townscape, so I'm thinking of some lift off dioramas over the lower level circuit. I've probably got enough buildings from my previous layout, most of which are currently mounted on a board.

Last edit: by Dorsetmike

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Going back to your wire in tubes Mike, where are the switches going as you appear to have track running below and in front of where the wires end?

Ed

PS: Like the sign, very good :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Good question Ed, as I mentioned in the previous post I will probably be covering the lower level; that front edge will not be lift off, I will fit a length of plastic or ali angle supported at intervals along the edge, so I can get a hand in when needed, a strip of board on top for scenery, extend the wire in tube to the edge and mount the switches there.

Last edit: by Dorsetmike

Cheers MIKE

Posted
Rating:
Ed, no sooner said than started

Work in progress, lower level roofed over, piece of angle aluminium  supported at intervals (so I have access to low level track) piece of board as "roof" then a piece of plastic angle 32mm x 32mm bolted to the ali. Holes cut for switches, drill first then square up with sharp knife for detail see pics below; note hole in slider of one of the switches for the wire.

Three done, luckily the wire took solder for a rigid joint so I was able to extend it rather than replace it.

Example of how the plastic angle is cut,a slot for the slider and hole for the screw in the part that will be horizontal and a slot at the top of what will be the vertical part of the plastic; that slot will support one end of the switch. Note the switch with one end shortened  that is the end that will be supported by the slot. The switches are about 35mm - 36mm the angle is only 32mm so not enough room for a second screw hole, hence the slot to hold that end, crude but effective!

Why I shorten one end of the switch, if left at full length then it would be necessary to lengthen the slider slot which would encroach on the screw hole.

Cheers MIKE

Posted
Rating:
Further to my observation back in August about lack of room for scenery and the idea of covering much of the low level with lift off dioramas, I've now done a lift off piece for the right hand corner as I needed room for a road so that vehicles and pedestrians can get to the station, I've also "roofed over" the low level at the front of the layout which is only supported at intervals so I can easily access that area. I'm now looking to make a  couple of lift off covers at the back of the layout; that will then cover all of the roundy roundy and its passing loops on the low level but still allow me to retrieve derailments. It should also solve the lack of scenic space giving me an extra minimum of 6" wide the full length of the layout. The backscene would also be fixed to it.

Initial idea is to have a road all along the back, ultra low relief buildings against the back scene, a  narrowish road then a row of terrace houses with small back yards; if I make it rise an inch or so it could cover the incline up from the low level to the upper level, that should give me another couple of inches width which could mean the difference between small back yards and slightly bigger back gardens.

Cheers MIKE

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Sounds like it's all falling in place mike. And a reserve of buildings that are good to go as well.:thumbs

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.