NG 009 layout started read on please!!!!!!...........

Posted
Rating:
Hi to all,:hi
             Just had an idea of putting some 25 mm polystyrene slab on to the top of the boards to do two things, 1, give an all over depth and , 2, make the whole of the layout surface level and consistent, as, i have scene this done on some layout went looking at youtube and other layout pictures, any comments?:???::);  if this idea works, at least i can get to sort out the surface and overall structure of said layout ready for a new and more positive approach and progression, we hope so any way:lol::lol::lol:….

Many grateful thanks and best regards to everyone……….Tom…:);-):cool:
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hello:),
     Well, i have just received the styrene slabs and, have started to lay up the base board surfaces and, will paint the surface a brown colour and will then, start with the upper levels etc etc etc, so, will keep you dated with progress…………..

My very best regards………..Tom………:);-):cool:

PS..   It would seem( happily ), that the large bill for the end of November is covered as my clever wife has been laying some monies on the side so as to lessen the end amount needed:lol::).
                                                         Thank goodness for wives:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:………..Tom;-)

Last edit: by mckinnell

Posted
Rating:
Hi all,
     Well, that's the board tops laid up with the, styrene at 1 " thick:), thing is, because it was the only quantity at the best price namely, 12 sheets;-), i have now 8 sheets left:shock::???::), BUT!, i still have the upper level that is to be elevated at around 12" or better, to start and complete, so, some still to use, the left over sheets, i think that, i shall insulate the upper beams to the roof:), thus, giving better heat holding;-), but even that will not use up all the sheets being 8ft x 4ft:???::):).
    After this is completed,i  shall paint the whole area with a brown colour then onwards to getting and laying the cork underlay which i think i shall go for 7/8th wide by 1/8 thick being that the track is 009/9mm thus not needing any wider or thicker, pinning the track when glueing down to this bed and removing said pins whence the glue is set and go from their:):).

I won't post pictures of this boring episode as, this is one aspect that has been done to death and really just to let all who are interested in the progress know as to where i have got to at the moment…………..

All the best and best regards to every one………………………Tom……..:);-):cool:

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Tom,

Done to death or not, it's always interesting seeing someone else's layout come together so I'm sure there would be a lot of interest.

Sounds like you are getting somewhere though.

Well done

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
OK all, just looked at the base boards and have added an extra 1" to the surface, next, i must get the ply board out and cut some lengths off at around 4" in depth so as to protect the edges, and, will fill the gaps with an ejected type filler compound, after this stage, its a case of deciding how and at what point of the layout boards i start to ascend to the next level at say around 4" to 6" higher, the final point a terminus station at around 14" to 15" to complete.
The levels going up will be of styrene and at level sections where there is any action shall we say, i will use some 1/8th" ply to accommodate any and all buildings and any other items needing extra,s; all track as i think i stated, will be laid upon 1/8" cork bed, cuts for points and servos as needed, all the latter painted in a rather darkish:???: brown, my usual choice of standard colour:roll::lol:.

Well, that's it  for the moment, still got 8 sheets left:shock::roll::lol::lol:, i think i may be doing some insulating at this rate to use the leftovers up  :mutley:mutley:mutley:mutley:mutley………..

Best regards to all…………..Tom……….:);-):cool:.. 

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Tom,

Mind a couple of pictures. It's all getting a bit exciting now. Dying to see the results.

Keep up the good work.:thumbs

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
 Don't forget you can break up some of the styrene tyo make hills etc so giving yourself even more 'landscaping' potential

Cheers

Matt
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
:hiHI Matt,
       Very true, tell you all some thing else you get:???:, A RUDDY GREAT SNOW STORM:mutley:mutley:mutley:mutley:mutley, but, as opposed to the OTHER type of blue or pink type, this is healthy as such:thumbs:thumbs, the latter blue and pink is noted as being carcinogenic :shock::shock::shock:, with regards to the very fine dust and inhaling it use a mask, but can be a skin irritant as well, so, a little snow storm is far far better:):):); Tom, will post some pictures as soon as i get into some more building tomorrow, need to cut some pelmet boarders for the fronts as well to protect and finish off the look ;-):)………..#
O, BTW, if any one see's the wife out tonight, tell her to fly home ASAP, and keep the zapping to a minimum :mutley:mutley:mutley:shock::shock:; belive she is using a NIMBUS 2000 this year:Red Card:Red Card:It's a no no:It's a no no:mutley:mutley:mutley……

Best regards and happy HALLOWEEN…..Tom……:doublethumb;-):cool::lol: 

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Hope she doesn't look over your shoulder Tom or you might be talking in a high pitch voice tomorrow.:mutley

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
They don't need to look over shoulders Alan they just go for the balls. . . .   the CRYSTAL balls. That is. :mutley:mutley:mutley
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi, bad news:cry::cry:. my camera has just stopped totally:shock::shock::shock:; still kept on turning off, BUT, them the focus lens motor just went up it and now, it's now completely DEAD:cry::cry::cry:, so, till i can afford a new one, no more picture i am sorry to say, of cause, the up coming Warley Expo, IF!!!!, i get their that is, but, its not the end of the world, now is it???:lol::lol::lol::roll::roll:;-)

OK, all the best and regards…………Tom…:);-):cool:.

PS……….All tops of boards now finished fitting styrene 2" and  4" by what ever length required completed………….:):):)

Posted
Rating:
Hi All,
      Re, bad news:sad::sad:, great news :Happy:Happy:Happy, am getting a new camera, from Argos, and have some money to take off the total price, one of those vouture things:doublethumb, so, pictures very soon now and, i can take pictures and video at Warley:lol::lol::lol:

Very best regards and :cheers…………Tom……:);-):cool:… 

Posted
Rating:
Good news indeed! See you at Warley :):)

Cheers
Ron

Proper Preparation makes for Perfect Performance!!

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=13331&forum_id=21

Posted
Rating:
Hi Gang:),
         Just a quick one before i go to sleep, the filler has now been completed AOK, next, i'll post some picture of the boards at this stage and then, next, i paint them in what is called wilko's nutmeg spice:shock:;-), nice and brown like :roll:;-):), after this i shall post some pictures of the boards completed to that stage.
          Sorry for the lack of pictures to date, what with the camera going faulty and getting a new one on my Argos card, PLUS!!, i really did want to complete some work before i started posting pictures, thus, the delay in such, but as i say, i am now more or less back on schedule, boards and the like, will then have to tackle the track layout as, i really want it to go up two more levels as to give more depth and as such, give a big layout appearance, or, at least i hope it will; not that hot on putting down plans for said track plan, nor, am i liking following a track plan from a book etc etc, so, this next stage might take a while to get going, i know what i really want, but, just can not see it in my mind at the moment:???::???::???:.

OK my dear friends, that's it for tonight, time for bed and i'll post ASAP, so for now,

My very best regards to all…………………………….Tom……………:);-):cool:.. 

Posted
Rating:
Hi All,
      Well, not much been happening from last post, had idea of doing some pictures and starting to work out best way to get a more active track system sorted out and ways of scratch building my own model bodies etc etc etc, BUT!, O what a problem was to unfold:shock::shock::shock::shock:.
       Our beloved Staffy bitch of just 7 years old contracted Pyometra, which, for the unknowing amongst you, in the canine world is a 100% killer, due to not having your bitch spayed:roll::roll::cry:, so, it went to peritonitis, and she went under a very very swift surgery to remove all the poison and pus and the breeding equipment their in shall we say, the end result!!????,

:doublethumb:doublethumb:doublethumb:Happy:Happy:Happy:Happy:Happy

SHE CAME THROUGH A>O>K:thumbs:thumbs:thumbs, but, at a cost of near £600.00:thud:mutley:mutley, so, there will be a period of quietness whilst, i get some fund saved up or what ever, main thing is, our baby is still with us and more or less back to her Staffy ways;-);-), and now naturally, she is going to get away with about anything; we were lucky and should of had her spayed at age 6mths to 1 year old, OUR FAULT ENTIRELY, so, if you happen to have a bitch as your newest best friend, PLEASE PLEASE, get her spade IMMEDIATELY.

Hoping thing may go better for all our family that is, (wife me and the animals ), i am looking at the Da Vinci XYZprinting 3D printer, re flashed to Repetitor firmware, as, i have been producing 3D graphic of models for some many years now and to save as an .stl format and printing accordingly is  straightforward, thus producing as much as i can vis my own modelling/ designs etc etc etc, but, with the funds now at a very low ebb it will be awhile till things come around, or perhaps the Xmas spirit may smile on my good wife and myselfquest:quest:, who knows, still, that's the state of play as of this date….

My very best regards and wishes to all………..Tom………:);-):cool:

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
So glad to hear your dog is ok Tom,they are very important members of the family,i know mine is,infact i've just given him a cuddle.:doublethumb:doublethumb:doublethumb

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Alan, yes, we have 1 dog 5 cats, all strays and 1 parrot, NO, we haven't a partridge in a pear tree, :mutley:mutley, but we DO have three pear trees:lol::lol:……..

Best regards to all………………Tom……….:);-):cool: 

Posted
Rating:
Sorry to hear about your dog, Hope she makes a full an swift recovery.
We had to have our Border Collie put down last Thursday poor girl, she was 13 and had cancer. The vet said they could have kept her going longer but she would have been in pain. Hardest thing we had to do decide was to have her put to sleep. She is now pain free bless her.  

Always try to look on the bright side of life!

Barney

Posted
Rating:
Glad to hear the staffy is OK, and back to normal!, if she is anything like our two that means trouble.

We have two the brindle in my avatar and a Red, a Westie and a Poodle/Yorky cross, oh and we also have a Green Amazon called charlie who talks as much as the wife.

Cheers

Andy

Posted
Rating:
Hi all,
      Well, i have just completed a test of building my first NG 009 mm coach based on one of the Welsh systems and, it is looking promising so far;-):), but, have to do the other side of said coach to give a positive outcome over all:???::roll:..

The model is made of an amalgamate of two card faces with, a 2mm internal clear plastic section giving both the glazing and, added strength and stability, i hope anyways:lol::roll:;-).

Ends will be a centre core of something  in the same vain as the glazing but, does not have to be clear, normal plasticard would suit; all faces are produced via 3D max 2013 and formed using Pepakura 64bit to export as a 3D model, (unwrapped!!), hope this makes scenes:shock::roll::)…..

I will post some picture when and if the project comes to a good conclusion, and to this end, will be getting some Peco L&B coach bogies to run the bodies on, and as yet, still have two Kato chassis and two chassis blocks from the 3D model print site, (name escapes me:shock::roll::roll:, mmmmmmm, Shapeways???), so, still need to sort out a couple of nice body shapes etc etc to suit these, much to ponder……

My best regards to all……………………Tom….:);-):cool: 

PS………..Frankie the Staffy gets her stitches out today, so, all is now AOK,;-):):):):lol::lol::mrgreen:

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.