NG 009 layout started read on please!!!!!!...........

Posted
Rating:
Hi Both,
         Have looked at my camera settings and, alas, i do not see any setting for florescent lighting so, any other ideas, please, tell me, the pictures really do suck as they say :???::sad::roll:…..

Thanks and very best regards…………………Tom……:);-):cool:

PS…………….As you where, yes!!!:roll:, it has Fl 1   Fl  2   &   Fl 3, wonder which will be the correct setting:???:, will just have to test some shots i guess, again, many thanks chaps; Tom, how the retina test mate???, mine said, " lights on, no one home,":lol::lol:….wife could of told them that:twisted::lol::lol:…….
                                                                              Tom…………..

Last edit: by mckinnell

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I've changed my fluros to triphosphor tubes, which seem to have a bluer white, Tom.

Worth a try?

Posted
Rating:
In my office we have what they called daylight tubes fitted which give you 6500k lighting which they claim is the nearest to natural daylight.

Cheers

Andy

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Natural daylight being 7200 kelvin I believe  although don't quote me on that.

Note to self …….. Stop putting yourself up just to be shot down again:hmm
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi all,     Well, relatives came round today so, no modelling, but, have found that my best radius is 9", also, i have a question and its this, should i affix to the boards tops a covering of dense styrene so that i could carve out for rivers canals say 2" thick, and the like more easily than altering the boards proper, also, what styrene sheet if i were to do so would be the most usable, and thinking that, it would allow basement fixing for all building used on the layout; would temperatures, summer winter, cause this type of material to twist etc shape change if you will, or, is it 100% stable under these types of extremes     …….any ways, im back on the project tomorrow so more as soon as i get to it, will look out for your welcomed advice…….                                                                                  
                                                        Many thanks and best regards to all……………..Tom     

Posted
Rating:
Hi all,          Well, i have just about finalised my track plan this evening, am keeping away from having levels of track and just keeping to the flat as such, will cut into the base board top as required to offer streams and the like, the over all size usable is as follows:-, first board 8 ft 9 in then turns right for a boards of 9 ft 1 in turning right for a boards of 12 ft 6 in,  the end of this section is turning to the right for 4 ft by 2 ft and returning to the main board from whence it comes off of of a length of 3 ft 4 in, all width save the last section mentioned are 2 ft wide through out; I think i will use bog standard "N" gauge track in hidden areas as, this will save on NG track, seems daft to use the NG track where it`s not going to be scene, can use any including concrete type sleeper style track, and a little cheaper as well  .        

As soon as their is track down and things to picture, be sure they WILL appear here on the forum, at the moment tho` i have three statements and some double glazed doors to pay for    , and they are pressing so, need to get these out of the way first, but, and to close for now, have copied and printed off the time honoured Peco point templates to ascertain how many and where they are best suited for the stations etc etc, ( will have 4 stations i hope      ), and towns to compliment said stations etc etc etc…       

Hope that covers every thing for now, mmmmmmmmmmm, yep, that`s it i think, i`ll bid all a very good night and be back very soon……………                        

Very best regards and grateful thanks…………………….Tom……….     

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Tom,

Sounds like the plan is coming together. Can't advise on the styrene I'm afraid as I have never used it but I'm sure that Gary has used it to build up landforms with no issues. There again he finished it of with a layer of plaster from memory.

There is also a huge Swiss layout on the forum at the moment which makes extensive use of styrene so I guess you'd be fine.

Let us know how you get on and remember the photo's. Sound like a very extensive layout. Looking forward to seeing you progress

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi All  ,       Well here is a plan of what might be +/- alterations as per, the green areas are where modelling will be added with regards also respects to hiding the track which connects all station areas, the areas are shown as 1, 11, and 111, blue doted indicating the hidden section/run of track, red line is the track proper, a grey x type making is to denote that their may be a divide in this area, the freezer speaks for its self im thinking   .        I may as things unfurl, alter some aspects of this plan, but, its going in the direction i think i want it to go, so, that`s all for the moment, but it shows i am thinking and getting very near actual track laying, so,                                       

My best regards to all……………….Tom.:);-):cool:

Posted
Rating:
Hi all,              OK, i have become a member of the 009 society, and, have posted about this layout i am thinking of doing:), my idea will entail some long run hidden sections, all straight runs, no point work and, having done this many times over the umpteenth time, x many decades:shock:;-), i am a little concerned at the response i have got back regarding hidden track as to make me rather weary of proceeding, in fact, i am not now sure as to what or which way my wanted layout should go.
         One person, and i understand his point is, that many people cram to much into a given space, and that, i should drop the hidden tracks and extra station areas, and, i guess he means to just go off into the sunset re a fiddle yard which to my mine is me going back wards:???::sad:, i like a definite place to aim for and return from:), so now i am not sure what to do exclam:quest:quest:quest:quest::???:.

Any one here want to give thoughts and help me out i am more than happy to take on board all advice plus, i am now really dead in the head as to what i am trying to build and portray:shock::sad::thud.

Many thanks and my best regards as always to every one………………………………..Tom…….:);-):cool:….

Posted
Rating:
Tom, 
It sounds to me that you have a good understanding of what you want in a layout… and that's the key thing, what YOU want.
It's your railway and rule one applies.
As for hidden track, just design the hills to be removable in sections or, as I have done, have an opening in the baseboard under the hills so that if something becomes stuck or derailed you can climb under the baseboard, reach up through the gap and remove the offending bit of rolling stock.
Compact polystyrene is a great way of allowing you to cut down and create a landscape, much easier than cutting into the baseboard in my opinion and a few of the guys here have successfully used that technique on their layouts.
Not sure which type you need to use though, hopefully one of the UK lads can help out here.
hope that helps.
cheersMarty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Hi Tom

As Marty says, Rule 1 applies.

Wouldn't we all like the space to have trains running through a large expanse of fields and hills, but we have to compromise.

You appear to have trains leaving a station and disappearing into the countryside to then re-appear at the next station.

Can't see a problem with that, especially as narrow gauge trains tend to be pretty short. It's not as though the back of

the train would still be leaving one station as the front arrived at the next, so I can't see a problem.

You said you've modelled hidden sections before so that's not a problem either, generally your plan looks ok to me :thumbs

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Hi Tom,

Blue HD styrene foam. Treat it as balsa wood, it's got grain, and does expand and contract with temperature but not humidity. Bit of planning helps as it's easier to cut embankments, valleys and hills before gluing to the sub-surface. If you shop around you can get it from 0.5" to 4" or more. Model airplane shops have it even thinner for wings, etc. (it's white). I would recommend a hot-wire cutter, HD styrene blunts cutting knives, utility knives and bread knives beyond recovery. It sands well with emery paper, not so well with sandpaper, especially #100. Use a decent face mask and if possible do it out of the house as the dust will go everywhere. Tough to blame air pollution when it's bright blue. I used a down-draft sanding table connected to the shop-vac for this until I developed an allergy to the stuff (or the adhesive).

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Tom, I wouldn,t worry what other people think of your plan, it is prototypical as it go,s from one place to another just like the real railways, and as for hidden track what is the problem? real railways ran through tunnels even narrow gauge lines, just check out the Leek and Manifold light railway on youtube, I have ridden through the tunnel on that line and it is a proper engineering masterpiece still open today to drive through! Best of luck with your project keep us informed mate.

Cheers, Pete.  

it was already on fire when I got here, honest!

Posted
Rating:
Hi all,
        Many grateful thanks for the encouraging input by you all, Pete, Nigel, Ed and Marty, i  certainly do thank you because its all to easy to, even at my age and length of modelling, feel that, you are just not getting their, but, i must say that i do understand the views put forwards by the person from the 009 society site, which DID, till now, make me think i was going totally the wrong way; its been a long 12 year absence from any form of model railway building and i for my sins, started when aged 5, now in my 60s, but now see my way forwards thanks to your advice and interest.
        For my part, i have now a crewed the full amount of track, 009 for the visible sections, and, straight "N" scale for all hidden parts, just need to get the points sorted and this, i think, will be on an individual station area by area, also, i think i will asses the areas for building with card to the given sizes just to see what and where things can go and what room is going to be used/ lost/ needed and left over etc etc, so, that`s the next phase of my build, pictures will follow as i get to a point in the build per section and progress etc etc etc…….

Track is going to be pinned down as such but stuck down with PVA glue, when dried totally, pins will be removed and ballasting will be done in the time honoured way 50/50 or 60/40 PVA to water and a drop of washing up liquid re surface tension removal of!!!, so that`s about it for tonight and im away to my bed………….. 

Very grateful thanks and best regards to all…………………Tom……:);-):cool:

Posted
Rating:
More than welcome… That's why we're here. It sounds like a great project and I'm looking forward to the updates..

Marty

Oh… And Bravo Nigel with the timely advice on the HD polystyrene..

Last edit: by Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Good evening all, or is that good night:hmm:???::roll::lol:,
                           Just a very quick up date on progress, just this afternoon started the hidden track behind the first station, xxxxxxhell, did i have a right job:roll::shock:, seems that, over the last 12 years, my eyes have got rather bad at 009 size metals and the rail joiners needed, had to go and get my large modellers lens with lights on to see what i was doing and where the ruddy ends of the rails where to line up for the rail joiners, the wife's idea, and, happily, it work fine;-):):), so, it appears that at that distance of 2 ft from the front edge, im lost, thankfully, its a single line and run, and with some working out prior to fixing said track down, the correct amount was purchased, but, must admit to a little luck even so.:roll::lol::lol::doublethumb.

Any ways, seems i have got myself a lot of track for my intended system, the hidden being standard "N" gauge track, main track being 009 crazy, not main, its actually speaking HOe, sleepers are spaced very wrongly for UK narrow gauge systems,:shock: not British you know,  so, if all goes well, and if im careful and steady, i should, be onto the points very soon now, price etc etc and amount able to get in one go permitting, but i do have a birthday on the 27th of Aug so,:cheers my requirements will, i think, be around this sort of item, or items,we hope;-):lol:.
                         OK, time for shut eye and listen to my radio, with the dog in bed as well, YES, you read it right, from a puppy, the world revolves around dad, all ways said dogs have inherently great taste!!…….:mutley:mutley:mutley:mutley

All my very best lads and regards……………Tom…..:);-):cool:.

Posted
Rating:
Good on ya Tom.

I have to use the head mounted optivisor with its multiple magnification lenses. Couldn't do it without them.

Cheers

Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Hi all,
       Just a quick one, just got the first batch of points for the intermediate station section, and, stupid me, just realised that i had to get some point motors for said points:???::sad::shock::roll:, so, now will have to wait till i can afford the motors, 4 off, and, some wire to get them soldered up ready for when i get my controllers and panel system sorted, BUT!!!!, that`s towards the end part of track etc etc work as such…….

All the very best to every one……………Tom………:);-):cool:

Posted
Rating:
Hi, back again:lol:,
             Well, i just purchased 4 off point motors "as new" via E Bay UK, used before so, am happy to do so, SO, we should be able to get the first station section, the intermediate one, Stn#2, placed and ready for a more in depth viewing of what will go where and the surrounding buildings / scenery……………..
                                              That is it for now,  regards all………….Tom…………:);-):cool: 

Posted
Rating:
Hi All,
          Update, not to much at the moment, have an ultra sound for a possible hernia near the navel, but, two doctor say they can't feel anything:???:, but all seems well in things that could be allied with it;-), so, if it is such, but they assure me there is nothing but just sending me to assure me:shock:, and i am going to see if i can get them to have a quick look at the old prostate, HEY!!!, same park area why not;-)??:lol:, if not to bad will work on a wait and see if i need to, as i see a lot of people do now a days as its not being a problem, hell, i did not know it was if such their till i was told to lose weight because of Type2, now down from 18.2 to just over 16.7:mrgreen::mrgreen::):cool:, in three months +/-  a week or so…                      Due to the above, i have not really felt like doing much, these things tend to do that with me, stupid i know but, their your are; I have chosen to section each station area according to the amount of scenery, buildings etc etc, and NOT, to cram way too much track as, being NG in type, it would not have a great amount of infrastructure railway wise, and, getting the correct balance is the point in question, so, a lot of card will be cut to size re buildings foot prints and we shall see how it may or may not look as far as being too cramped…
             Have a lot of items to get for the railway, setting up wise, even before i get around to the locos and stock, so, that`s a lot of OTHER!! things to get well before, bills allowing tho`:lol::lol:;-)……….

Well, that is it for now, next Thursday for the sound scan and i hope it all pans out well, and such, will be cranking the modelling engine up to flat out, as such, so all, till then play mates…………

Very best regards and best…………………..Tom…..:);-):cool:…

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.