NG 009 layout started read on please!!!!!!...........

Posted
Rating:
Hi Tom,

If you go for the high-density closed cell foam that is used for wall insulation (blue, pink, green, depends on who makes it), it is a lot tougher than the white stuff, doesn't easily compress, and takes the weight track and stock quite happily. 2" or 4" thick (25 or 50mm) gives you plenty of depth for hills, vales, rivers, etc. You should use an adhesive specifically for the product. If you use CA that also needs to be for styrene foam.

When performing hackery avoid the bread knife or saw. Use a decent disposable blade (the foam will quickly blunt it) and a hot wire. It pays to have a 2mm or so thick layer of cork as the track-bed. If you use plaster rolls the surface needs keying with #400 paper (outside, unless you want dust everywhere).

The picture below shows a module from the BRMCM layout in Montreal, HD foam construction, with a canal cut into the foam baseboard. All of the hills and embankments on this layout are HD foam on top of the HD foam baseboards.

Nigel

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel,
          Did look into that type of insulation board, was way to expensive for me over here in Rugby Wark`s UK, looked mainly on E Bay, still, i have now started work on track laying and all is looking not to bad, BUT, direct on to the ply board bases, so, any canals rivers and the like etc etc will have to be made a la John Ahearn his layout which is now stored and shown in the Oxford museum which name escapes me for now, still, that is the state of play as of today so thanks mate for the info……………..

Very best regards…………………Tom……… :) ;-) :cool:

Last edit: by mckinnell

Posted
Rating:
Hi Guys,
            Well, i have finally finished the track laying and have 5 points and about 5 + yards of track left over :), but must say that the urge to use up said track and points is very very strong indeed :twisted: ;-), but alas, i really do not want to over do and spoil the scenic affects by having to much track and points :???: ;-), but then, when is to much really TOO much :???: :lol: :lol:, so, all is now ready for the next stage and, i will send up some pictures of the state of the layout as of now, but must tide up first :roll: ;-) :lol:, so till then…………

My very best and regards to all my friend……Tom…… :) ;-) :cool:

Posted
Rating:
Hi Tom,

Onward and upward then. Looks like hills but few vales.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel,
        Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, may be, but i might take to doing the same as John Ahern shows a way as, cutting through the ply and affixing support as required such, under pinning the area removed and scenic the area accordingly and, i really works, did some thing like this many decades ago myself, must get thinking on this one,  mmmmmmmmm, may be, just may be :roll: ;-) :lol:………..

Very best regards……Tom…… :) ;-) :cool:

Posted
Rating:
Hi Guys :),
         A question; i have just finished the guards luggage passenger/ second/first, here are the questions, 

1. Do i really need to make provision for glazing in short, put windows in the coaches?

2. What would be the best martial to affix the coach faces onto; the faces sides and ends having the atr work on them?

For help in these questions, i have considered plasticard or thin wood or card of an appropriate thickness, as, if i have to cut out window openings, the thinner the medium the art work is fixed to the better, and, overall neatness a etc etc of the openings :???: :).

OK, well, that`s it for now, will put up a picture of the coach sides and as promised, the layout as it is, remembering that it will look rough as most do till the basic scenic s are applied.

My very best to all and regards………….Tom………. :) ;-) :cool:

PS     The coaches as is measure out as:-   L= 144.3mm  H= 34.3mm  W= 24 mm  hope that is of use……

Posted
Rating:

Hi Guys,

Here is the Mk 4 version of the L&B style coaching stock, this being a gauge/ luggage/ second, type, others will follow if this goes full development as, the Mk 3 did come to actual bodies, but, i did not like the over all appearance so said models so scraped them a little while back; do not expect them to be like the Peco models per say, but, i think i can better the 3D printed models in looks and over all appearance as, their is a hell of a lot of prep work on 3D models just to get to the priming stage and, what a cost :shock: :shock: :???:, it is the micro size that limits the finish of said 3D models, this way, at least, i have a colourful and detailed looking base to start putting together, i hope, a fair looking model/s, hope the enclosed is of some interest mates…………..

Very best regards and wishes to all…………Tom……… :) ;-) :cool:
PS     The bottom two of the sections are for inner covering, if glazing is going to be done and, also, extra strength and support, printed on card stock of 480 g, and that for a printer is quite thick, and Epsoms can deal with thicker card stock……thankfully… :lol: :lol: ;-)

Posted
Rating:
Hi to all,
           Well, just went into my local Wilkinson`s  to get some telephone multi core cable, only to find, they have discontinued that type of cable :shock: :shock: :sad:, i have now out to find, an outlet that sells by the drum, the multi core cable i require, 5 core would be ok, but, the amount that are on Ebay is most confusing, as,  it is rather off so to speak when you can`t get to see what you are purchasing :???: :???: :???:, so that is my next thing to sort out, as well as micro switches, may as well get both at the same time i guess..

Best regards to all, Tom……… :) ;-) :cool:

PS..  coaches are coming along really well, should just need Peco L&B coach bogies to finish , well, i hope so :lol: :lol:… 

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
[user=1411]mckinnell[/user] wrote:
Hi to all,

Well, just went into my local Wilkinson`s  to get some telephone multi core cable, only to find, they have discontinued that type of cable :shock: :shock: :sad:, i have now out to find, an outlet that sells by the drum, the multi core cable i require, 5 core would be ok, but, the amount that are on Ebay is most confusing, as,  it is rather off so to speak when you can`t get to see what you are purchasing :???: :???: :???:, so that is my next thing to sort out, as well as micro switches, may as well get both at the same time i guess..

Best regards to all, Tom……… :) ;-) :cool:

PS..  coaches are coming along really well, should just need Peco L&B coach bogies to finish , well, i hope so :lol: :lol:… 

Screwfix
B+Q
Maplins

Now I've finally started a model railway…I've inherited another…

Posted
Rating:
[user=1411]mckinnell[/user] wrote:
Hi Nigel,
          Did look into that type of insulation board, was way to expensive for me over here in Rugby Wark`s UK, looked mainly on E Bay, still, i have now started work on track laying and all is looking not to bad, BUT, direct on to the ply board bases, so, any canals rivers and the like etc etc will have to be made a la John Ahearn his layout which is now stored and shown in the Oxford museum which name escapes me for now, still, that is the state of play as of today so thanks mate for the info……………..

Very best regards…………………Tom……… :) ;-) :cool:
Polyurethane insulation sheet that Nigel uses - 25mm thick, 4' x 2' is under a fiver at Jewsons. I wouldn't really say that was too expensive Tom. I've used it as the basis for three layouts so far (Detailed elsewhere here on YMR)

Shaun.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.