NG 009 layout started read on please!!!!!!...........

Posted
Rating:
Hi Tom,

Owen's right, lots of detail means you don't play trains, they're too fragile.

Card to plastic? CAA will work, but you have very little time to get it positioned right. If you give the card a coat of varnish followed by a pass with #400 sandpaper that gives a key for the CAA. If you use plastic compatible CAA that will stop the bloom. If you key the plastic with #400 paper followed by a wipe with IPA then PVA-based glues will work.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
CAA, The Civil Aviation Authority?

Now I've finally started a model railway…I've inherited another…

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Cyano acrylate ( Super glue)  accelerator

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Could be Creative artists agency or Canadian Automobile Agency.

Etyly-2-cyanoacrylate, "Superglue". More commonly abbreviated to CA.

Don't bother with accelerator, the moisture in your breath will get things polymerizing.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hello all,
            Just a very quick update, and that is, my printer of some 6+ years has just died on me:sad:, so, till i can get to afford a new model i will be just designing and not printing in regards to stock, a great shame but, their you are; i will wait till i can get a straight forwards A3+ printer of reasonable price, i REALLY do HATE:twisted::twisted:, these duplex types, and they are from knowledge, NOT, the type persons like my self who design and print there own card models off, should be contemplating, ok for the office but, NO, not in the modelling world, so, i shall wait, plus, May 5th is the date for me to see the eye consultant and, i am not liking that one bit, so, much hangs in the balance so to speak. 
            Anyway, that`s it from me for the moment, thanks for the adhesive advice, much appreciated indeed, and, hope to put these ideas to the test ASAP……

My very best regards to all…………………………Tom…………:);-):cool:

Posted
Rating:
Are well, i have just decided upon the Epson Stylus Photo 1500W A3+ printer, around £165.00 inc delivery; comes with 6 colours, 4 stnd and 2 light colours, USB and, Wi-Fi windows 10 ready:):), so, i`ll be in touch  with what progress i make on this printer, i always buy Epson, company is a bit tight as we all know, but, their printers seem to go on forever and a day, and little or no problems, and this from them will be my 4th or 5th printer, mmmmmmmmmm, you think if they get to hear about my promo on their behalf i could get a cracking discount:shock::???::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:, back soon mates…………….:thumbs

My very best regards to all…………………….Tom…….:);-):cool:.

Posted
Rating:
WELL, I have just installed my new Epson Stylus Photo 1500W A3+ printer and, its great:Happy, now, if the projects i have ready perform in a similar manner, i shall be very very happy indeed:roll::lol::), ok then, back to what we all like to do, GET MODELLING!!!:doublethumb, mmmmmmmmmm:hmm, but first i think i shall make sure the little bundle is performing all ok and then, we shall proceed, so, till later then chaps…………………….

Very best regards and wishes to all………………..Tom….:);-):cool:.. 

Posted
Rating:
Hi all,
           Very sad news :cry::cry::cry:, it would look like my modelling days may be numbered as, my attempts to heat the garage with, as i thought, a good electric small shop heater has turned out to be anything but:shock::shock:, as, it sent my electric bill estimate from £77 a mth to over £169+ a mth, this is not what i imagined and as i do not have any other area to model any layout of even a small area safely and without the worry of the mess incurred as one gets, also, can not even think of costing the work to get the garage sealed to the weather so as to lower all heating costs to sensible levels, its is certainly the point that, i can not no longer continue with model railways as things are, or, seem to be heading as per bills and other outlays, so, there you are; rather ironically, the coaches i have made, one an all third and one an third and brake, have, come out far far better than i imagined they would or dared to hope as such, full glazing etc etc etc, just needing the bogies,(L&B type from Peco) and other add ons such as handles etc and they would be fantastic if i say so myself:):):);-), BUT, they will remain as of now, just models to stand and collect dust on my bool case……

Well chaps, that`s the lot from me, will continue to follow all the threads here in and comment as i have/if, anything to add of value if relevant, but, that is as far as it goes from now on, so cheers for now and all my best wishes and bye for now……..

Tom………………….:)

PS………Just to say that the heater has gone to the Heart foundation shop and, i have some chassis and a Morley twin contro;er, all, never used and as new as the day they arrived, also 7 bard new points and track, what a xxxxx waste of time and money, and NO, i won`t try selling on EBay or the like, as, i would definitely without question, be asking what i paid for them as they are totaly new and im not just giving them away, the wife would kill me, and quite rightly so, that`s all, cheers and cheerio…… 

Last edit: by mckinnell

Posted
Rating:
That has come as a shocker Tom! I have an oil filled electric radiator in my shed (16ftX10ft), it is on 24-7 during the winter on the frost setting, I pay £70 per month, pre pay, and that is for everything, I have a small fan heater that I put on when I go in to play/ahem model, and that gets the shed toasty in no time. Apart from a bit at the end where I can,t get the shed is insulated and lined out with hardboard, it stays reasonably damp free ( I have had some leakage from the roof ) the felt has cracked, but I have patched up for the short term but its getting a new covering when I have saved up.  

Cheers, Pete.

it was already on fire when I got here, honest!

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Tom ,I bought a calor gas heater for my 20ft by 10ft shed, dirt cheap to run and calor even deliver the gas, did have oil filled rads but could not afford them anymore leccy costs shot up,
:thumbs;-):cool:
Owen

web-cam 2.2.74.174:8081
if the lights are off no cam

Posted
Rating:
YOU  HOOOOOO, guess who?,
         Yes it is me, i am hopefully back after a very terrible and troubled year, so, am looking forwards to the back of it reasons health and other related issues that sent me of my head and had 3 police forces looking for me!!!!!! still, brain is now back in gear, and, i am happy to say that, i am going to get of my xxx and have another go, as, i have a brand new heater, THIS one should be a lot friendlier re costings on running, still going to be 009, plus, have just purchased 3dsmax for doing my own buildings, may be able to offer some to the crowd her and about ha ha ha, but, we must get the track re laid and go from their; it will this time around be as straight forwards as i can do without giving a lot of interest away, but, that`s it for now so i will be back from time to time on updates and pictures of the progress this time around, a very happy Christmas and new year wishes to all my friends……..

With the greatest regards and respects to all,   Tom…..

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Good to hear from you Tom, glad you have solved the heater problem.

Merry Christmas.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Hi to all,
       Belated Christmas greetings, and on time new year greetings  :lol: :lol:, just to let all know that, i have started to get my track sorted out on the tops of the base boards, alas, just before the big day arrived, both my PC and, laptop went South so to speak :shock: :cry:; am about to get the new HDD for said PC, but, my laptop is no more :cry:, it fused well beyond repair, so, am going to just use my main PC and a new tablet, but, not to much tablet as, i do find at my age the size is just a little small for my eyes, and, i have still got to get use to how it operates, and,  i have two bodies for my locos to get and 4 coaches next month, so, for my computer wants will be out weighed by my modelling needs for the moment; can`t do both, monies not able to stretch that far, never mind tho`, so that`s the S.P.  for the forth coming year and first few months, still, that lot should keep me occupied and out of trouble :roll: ;-) :lol: :lol:.

To close now, i wish every member, a happy and healthy forthcoming new year and don`t get TOO DRUNK :roll: :roll: :lol: people, HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL :lol: :lol: :)

Very best regards and respects……..Tom……………. 

Posted
Rating:
Greetings to all,
                  Well, a new year and seems the modelling gods do smile upon me :) :), well, at least for the present!! :lol:, i have just received a new pre-installed OS 8.1 pro now up dated to 10, by far the best from Microsoft re O/S, HDD from Zoostorm the makers of my PC F.O.C., even tho` its out of the warranty by 18 months or so, not to bad hey!!! ;-) :), and, have now also installed i new heater in the shape of an oil filled thermostatic controlled  type 2 kw; will soon be getting the last 15 points for the planed layout, basic left and right hander`s and a couple of "Y" types for interest!!! :), some bog standard "N" gauge metre track say two lengths and that my dear friends, will see me ready for the very BIG push, so, as of now, that is all the news from Rugby and myself.

Till later, my very best regards to all………………………..Tom…. :) ;-) :cool:

Posted
Rating:
Hi Tom and a Happy New Year to you,

Really good news regarding your PC and reassuring to know that some companies will still do the right thing, regardless of warranty :)

It sounds as if your railway is about to become reality once more and your more economic heater will keep you and your railway snug during these colder months.

All possible good luck to you and I look forward to hearing more good news as it happens.

Best regards,

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Well,  I have just started to lay track!, OK, :) but can I find my cut off tools? :???: nope!, looked every where and can I find them???, but at least I did find some spare part, cutting discos etc,so, alls well :),  but,with the time from last modelling to now, it very easy to forget where you place or rather miss placed as in my case :lol: :lol: :lol:, so, we at last up and laying track down so, also purchased the last point work needed, so, its all go!!!, more to follow as I get all stations and yards completed, less, wiring up as such so till later friends……..my regards and best to all.             tom        

Posted
Rating:
Hi ALL,
           Just a quick query,  i have quite a lot of point motors, the Peco type, but! have noticed that some of them, in fact a lot it seems :shock:, have no mid tags, the tags that you bend to use on OO points but, leave up to use for N and 009 points, just wondered, who makes these as i was under the impression all point motors where a la Peco :???: :shock: :roll:, so no way around connecting these to a 009 point other than the side use of a point plate, mmmmmmmmm, very strange indeed!!!!! :???: ;-) :)…………..

Best regards to all………………..Tom…… :) ;-) :cool:.

Posted
Rating:
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:,     After thinking all was well, i have just attempted to lay some track onto the styrene  top i had put in place to give some depth and, also, afford a way of making some nice fetures such as streams etc etc, by cutting into and thus creating the needed look of same and also roads that required them to go lower in places, this my friend, was a bad and ill conceived idea that has now, resulted in, the accumulated mes that is the styrene sheets or many parts there of, being ripped from the base boards, it is also i am thinking why i found it difficult to get the rails to join correctly, so, i have a major mess to clean up, all this before i yet again have to find a track plan that is worth while doing, and not as i see far to many times on the net and mags, just line going to no where and some feeble attempt at concealing same, i do not wish to make these awful and horrid mistake myself :???: :???: :???: :sad: :sad:……….

Regards to all………………………….Tom…….. :) ;-) :cool:

Posted
Rating:
Tom,
Do not despair, just as you can't sew a button onto a a fart, you'll be unlikely to get a satisfactory joint-up and level track laying on sculpted soft polystyrene  unless you cover your chopped-out route with at least a layer of stout card, ensuring no card joints coincide with a rail joint.

Have another try, I'm sure it will improve your chances of getting a smooth track.

Good luck,

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Doug,   Yes mate, i have already scraped the surface and am all ready starting to clean house and board tops ready to start over, i think gullies and streams etc etc will have to go by the by, ply board is not the thing to dig into and i am committed to this medium as it is covering all the layout board tops, hey ho!!!!!!……, o yes, and just ordered from e bay a set of needle files at around £4-00, so we will progress, no hurry……….

My very best regards to all…………….Tom…….. :) ;-) :cool:
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.