NG 009 layout started read on please!!!!!!...........

Posted
Rating:
Pleased to hear your Staffy is on the mend, here is a piccy of mine, 'Bos'n' in 1987. He was 50% hooligan crossed with 50% cuddle, but sadly developed the doggy equivalent of Crohn's disease and we had to take the painful decision too. I never see one without thinking of him dribbling as he sat in frontof the oven when a Sunday roast was cooking!

Doug

Last edit: by Chubber

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Doug, sorry about your Bos'n problem and passing, we were both very upset and like spiked persons till we got our Frankie back, now, all in the past, but, now, she is really up for any food etc etc etc, and the vets can not understand why after peritonitis which takes on average two weeks for the dog to get fully over, Frankie is like it NEVER EVER happened:mutley:mutley:mutley, the true Staffy nature coming out and then some:mutley..

On the subject of my coach building/scratch building  exercise, well it's gone down the drain yet again:thud:thud:hmm:hmm, so, not sure what to do next, and so, still have no motive power or stock let alone any track down just the base boards and that is how it is, mmmmmmmmmmmmmexclam:exclam:exclam:quest:quest:quest:quest:.

My very best regards to all………………………….Tom……:);-):cool:

Posted
Rating:
YES I`M STILL HERE!!!:hi,
                      OK, well, i have not been lazy from last i chatted with you lot, o no, i have raised one of the base boards around 8" high, thus, giving a better and more rounded appeal, as i think of myself:roll::).
                      Alas, my health problem seem to be getting in the way of things, have to see a guy at the Hospital for one of my eye`s because, we suffer with Glaucoma, dam nuisance, but, from what i am told, my pressure and what i can see is fine, nothing detached or other wise, just i am thinking what what has been said, more to see if how and what is just plain down to being me; on a brighter note, my diabetes has dropped so much that, i am now classed as PRE and not as i was type 2, PLUS, they want to use me as a positive case study as to how and what can be achieved, with out medication and will power, ain`t been nice giving up food types and the like, but, health before all else, 60s and now less that 16 st in weight:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:, ( switch to smug mode ):mutley:mutley:mutley:mutley:mutley:mutley:doublethumb .
                      I have been toying with getting a 3D printer but, at the moment with the money situation, think, i shall wait a little longer, still, will be doing a lot of buildings designing and printing off so, scratch building is still on the table, just hope the hospital Dr has no other views on that, but, i have a spare in my right socket:mutley:mutley:mutley.
                       OK, that`s all for the moment, have started back on track laying, so, will start very soon on recording some pictures for you lot to have a look at, so till then,

My very best regards and respects to all my great friend  here…….Tom……..:);-):cool:

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Nice to see you back, Tom.

Posted
Rating:
Cheer Max, just been doing a small country garage/petrol stn for the lay out, just wondering what the high and length and width should be; think i shall eye ball a couple of locations of possibilities, then, what space it will need for pumps and the like and scale a size from there onwards; the joy of scratch build as opposed to off the shelf so to speak.:roll::):), very much i think as making your own point work, alas, that is one thing i won`t touch, i know my limitations:lol::lol::lol:!!!!!!.

Best regards for now and wishes,              Tom………:);-):cool: 

Posted
Rating:
Quick update, just getting a drill and drill press stand for modelling, not the large type usually sold:roll:;-), so, this in theory will help getting more accurate holes and the like made in what ever material i am using, hand and the like needing all the help they can get :lol::lol::lol:, still, never mind.
Been looking at the Bron Hebog site on how they make their coaches and, i really do feel that this is a process i can do and achieve some good results, we shall see very soon, but, the to Kato 1-103 chassis i have, i still am at a cross roads as to what to do, scratch build or, just plain purchase a couple of shape way bodies and just bang on from that point, mmmmmmmmm, need some more thought on this..

That`s it for the moment, the raised part is going very well in construction phase and as soon as all is ready, will send pictures to show my progress, slow i know but, i am in no hurry…………

Very best regards and wishes to all…………………..Tom……….:);-):cool:

Posted
Rating:
Good on ya Tom.

Fantastic news about the diabetes and weight loss, you are justified in being proud of that effort alone. Many folks don't have the bottle to get that far.

I've got a drill press stand for my Dremel tool and it's brilliant! Can't recommend a drill press enough for getting precision holes.

Just a question… A lot of your old photos aren't showing up in your older posts? Did I miss something or have you change photo host providers? It's a shame not to have the photos there with your story.

No stress though… You just keep working on your railway… Oh….yes….and your health. :thumbs

Cheers

Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Tom, I have that chassis on one side, Google cwrailways.com as there are some ideas there for it.

Doug

Last edit: by Chubber

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Hi Tom,

Great to see you posting again and very well done with your triumph over diabetes and your new sleek image! Good luck with your railway progress and I'm looking forward to further news as and when it happens.

Bill :)

PS drill presses and Dremels are so useful

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Hi ALL,
       VERY quick update. have got most of the tools i need and looking at a few others; need to re do the ink on the Epson office, also, have just about completed the raised section of the layout that`s to say, the raising section and the top board; have re-started to do some tests on 3D card coaches and stock, so far the art work is looking good, this test model based on the L&B from plans found on the web!!, plus, have done some test unfolds and print off`s as to see what it looks like, and, i am happy so far with the results;-).
       Well, that`s it for the moment, happy belated Easter :chicken any one with a dental practice should be quids in in a few months or so:mutley:mutley:mutley, so, ok, its bed time for me now, chat soon mates………………………

Very best regards and wishes to all……….Tom……….:);-):cool:

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Having just read all the way through the thread, congratulations on getting somewhere. I know I have problems with the levels of my layout so you're not the only one, I'm blaming the genuinely faulty bubble level I was using. We seem to have a lot in common, doggies with Pyometra (she survived as well) and Diabetes, and eyesight, Although if I follow family tradition of illnesses like I normally do, it'll be cataracts in about 15 years time.
Good luck with the railway I hope to see some pictures soon!

Now I've finally started a model railway…I've inherited another…

Posted
Rating:

Hi Q,
     :lol::lol::lol::lol:, just reading your reply made me think i must of written it, we must be twin spirits;-), any ways, thanks mate, pictures to follow, but, here is a taste of the ongoing project i started some time last year and, if people cast their minds back, you would recall me showing and detailing my idea`s on this type of model production, well, here is where i have got to as of now:); not to sure if i should go with matt paper of a mid weight or, photo type paper which is gloss covered, as, it will ALL need covering with a preserver type lacquer, so, still thinking on this part, any ways, just finished some painting of the elevated section and its raise parts so, when dry, will photograph the out come and post as per my promise……….

Very best regards to all for now…….Tom……..:);-):cool:  

PS… This effort was produced using 3Dmax2013 with Corel PSP and Pepakura 64bit software`s, o yes, and many long nights, or is that very early mornings:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::roll::shock:;-)………TFMF.

PPS………..Sorry the colour is a bit uuuuuuuuucccccckkk, has to be the pick up from Photo Bucket, it is supposed to be a shade of BR Crimson and a cream variant, nice mid style planking for the inner partitions and floor boards……that is it!!!!!!!!!……… 

Last edit: by mckinnell

Posted
Rating:
Hi ALL,:lol::)
Very quick up date to the last submission, have just cut out and started to layer up the sides successfully, so now, i shall start on the ends and inner parts:shock::lol:;-); i am thinking of using Peco L&B coach bogies???, BTW, any one know of what or how, i can thin down UHU/BOSTIK etc etc type glue as, i need a glue that is spreadable and can stick card to plasticard, clear type, re, the laminating of the main sides and ends…………..

My very best regards to all………………Tom….:);-):cool:

Posted
Rating:
OK, Hi ALL,:):),           Have a look at the model NG coach so far, it is going good, but, i have to use UHU glue as the only medium that will stick plastic to card:???::roll:, never mind, i will have to clean the windows outside as best i can, it really does not show to bad, 2 ft rule applied :lol::lol::lol:;-).

Got to do the other side and then onwards to the ends and roof etc etc etc, so have a ganders at the pics and i`ll be in touch, o yes, just to say that, the painting of the main boards is now complete and when totally dry will shoot some pictures for you all, will re post some of the old start that i have found on a card i had forgotten that they were on so enjoy and chat soon……………

My very bes regards and wishes to all………Tom……….:);-):cool:

PS…Have to place all door and other fitting on as i go so more to do before finally complete…….

Last edit: by mckinnell

Posted
Rating:
The older pictures to give a better feel of what has happened……….

That`s all, i hope this is OK??……………………..Cheers Tom…….:);-):cool:

Posted
Rating:
Hi Tom,

Looks as if you're about to be having plenty of fun (besides those lovely coach builds) and good to see a decent track bed height! Your garage and baseboards are looking so very tidy. I suppose that may change as the fun starts :)

Good luck,

Bill 

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill,
       Ha ha ha, yes, all our model rooms start very neat and tidy and the promise and best intentions go very smartly out of the window whence we start modelling proper:roll::roll::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::???:;-); some bad news sorry to say, and that`s that the model coaches i had got in mind and to a quite advanced state re, previous pictures have not worked out, this is due entirely to my own short comings due to dexterity problems and sight, modelling does have the inevitability of finding these problem out dam it, :sad::sad::sad::roll::roll::???::lol::lol::lol:, still, got further than the last attempts any way so can`t moan to much;-):lol::lol::):):).
       I will get some pictures of the layout to date in the next day or two and i`ll post them up, it is looking rather nice to my eye`s as, i can see plenty of cameo areas i had other wise not thought of being on just one level so, plenty of scope, so tyhat`s it for the moment chaps…..

Very best regards and thanks to all and best wishes,   Tom……………..:);-):cool:.. 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Tom, your coach sides look very impressive, in the past I have used canopy glue to fix paper and card to plasticard, it is a type of pva and the aeromodellers use it to fix the canopy,s to model aircraft, hence the name, it dries clear and doesn,t string all I did was roughen the plastic surface to give the glue a key.

The baseboards look good, I will watch with interest to see how you get on.

Cheers, Pete.

it was already on fire when I got here, honest!

Posted
Rating:
Hi all,
        Quick question,:???:, do i really need to cut out the windows and lights in the coaches being that, at 9mm NG, and applying the 2ft rule, you just plain can not see any of the internal details at all, and come to think of it, all so none in the Pecos expensive L&B coaches, i mean to say, in 7mm or larger, then yes it would be of an advantage but, in 9mm NG, you just plain can`t see any of the details so whats the point, your thoughts please:roll::???:;-)……………

Many thanks and very best regards to all,                Tom………..:);-):cool:.

PS………….The above will decide on the way the final coaches are to be produced!!!!!!!!!!!………….cheers all.:) 

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Tom,you are right about the detailing,I stopped doing it yrs ago in 00,ok if you sit em on a shelf to look at not on a layout,running is more important nothing kills the fun as much as bad running and stock uncoupling ,
:thumbs;-):cool:
Owen

Last edit: by Silver Fox

web-cam 2.2.74.174:8081
if the lights are off no cam
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.