NG 009 layout started read on please!!!!!!...........

Posted
Rating:
#199922 (In Topic #11084)
        I have just ordered the wood for the baseboards and struts, the legs are 4 inch square timber, seeing as its not going anywhere, the stronger and sturdier the better and safer for all; will start construction proper when this horrid hot weather is finished, it plays havoc with my health problems, nothing to serious as such but, silly to just go gun ho and suffer unnecessarily and as such, impact on construction work and progres. ;D  
           When the wood work part is completed will offer up some pictures to show just what things are like and, we can progress from there onwards,so, till then………….  

My very best regards to all…………..Tom……….. :) ;) 8)    
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Found your new Thread,

The hard work starts now, sawing wood!

ATB,

Ian :mrgreen:

Time flies by when I'm the driver of a train
And I ride on the footplate there and back again.
Cooper St.

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Good luck with it Tom :thumbs

No doubt it's not going to stay too hot for very long.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Hi Tom,

So the adventure begins. All that fun, no problems, but I dare say a few challenges and hopefully you'll keep smiling!

The weather will change, but we'll always have our railways. Good luck with the build.

Best wishes,

Bill :) 

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Hi All,
       Well, two things today, first, had to have my retina scan for type 2 diabetes, and second, the remaining wood for the build came all ready now to make the actual start, have one box of 25  yds of track 009, but think i may have to get the lighting units for the garage before i get the second box of track, i mean, i do need to see what i am doing, mmmmmmmmm, i think!!!!! :laugh:.
        So will not belong till i get the first pictures of the bases shown erected and ready for planing stage, and, between that and the first track laying, there will be much chopping and changing like most layouts, so till then……………
                                                        Very best regards to all………….Tom……. :) ;) 8)  

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
let us hope it cools down a bit then, too much heavy sweating could make the wood warp:thud
will follow this with interest,
:thumbs;-):cool:

Last edit: by Silver foxx

my webcam link 6.19.184.67:8080

Posted
Rating:
Well at least it is cooling a little mate, no warping so far :lol::lol:, getting some screws and other things then its all go, well, as far as the boards are concerned, not sure if i`ll get florescent lighting or, the bulb come tube types you can get now:???:, what are you lot using at the moment, must cover lengths of 10 ft plus 12 ft plus 14 ft, and, a possible tail section making it look like an "G", as near a shape as one can say…………

All my best and regards………………………Tom…….:);-):cool:

Posted
Rating:
Hi Tom,

I took my tubes down and repalced all mine with GU10 downlighters fitted with day light led's.
All I can say is 'ITS BRIGHT' a little expensive on the LED front but Amazon can up trumps these are what I bought
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00UXIS3Q2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00
Check out my page and I have some images up.

ATB,

Cooper St.

Posted
Rating:
Well, have received the wood and, got some wood screws and made a start on the cutting to the lengths the pieces required, so, i have now made a true start, more to follow………..
                                                          Best regards to all,      Tom…………:);-):cool:

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Good Luck with the build , Tom.  :thumbs

I've just sold two of my layouts and I'm looking forward to starting on a new one.

I reckon that it's the most exciting part; starting with a blank canvas.

All the best.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Max,
           Agreed, i have just started phase 1, frame work for base boards and going OK, will complete this task before i start to fix the boards up, and, their 4 inch legs, ain`t going any where fast :lol:, will let you all know as i get to the next phase, should be very soon……….
                                                My regards and best………………….Tom…….:);-):cool:

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Looking forward to the rest of the build Tom. Sounds like you are a man with a plan:lol:

Keep us updated.

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi ALL,            Well, just put in place two sections of the layout, just need to erect the final section and then, onwards to laying the tops; must say that its rather annoying as, when i looked at the walls they seem rather nice and straight and true  , mmmmmmmmmmm, when i started to erect the first section, it went right out of measure at one end, then, as i re aligned this end, the other end went out      .            I now have noticed that when i did the legs measurements, guess who forgot to add the fact that i was going to use a carpet then, mmmmmm  , yes, ME!!     , plus, now with the sections in place, i see how much now, the true nature of the walls are out  , still, these sections are up now and, i don`t see too much of a problem but may need to do a little bit of this or that if the need comes up  .             So, i have only a couple of sections to finish then onto the top skinning as i put it, then, planing will take place full on, but, will post some pics on the finish boards as is so you can all see the room i have to work with, so till then………..                                                  Best regards to all…………………..Tom…..     

Posted
Rating:
Sounds like your cracking the whip there Tom :roll:

I can visualise where and what your doing as I am pretty much in the same boat.
Maybe you would like to include some photos to show us your progress?

ATB,

Cooper St.

Posted
Rating:
Good evening to every one,:)
       Well, i have just finished the baseboards, seemed to go ok, found as mentioned before, my garage is not to square as seemed  :???:;-), but, at least it looks nice and flat and basically square, so, that will do for now, so, on to the painting of the surface, thinking brown, usual thing, nothing special their ;), o yes, i also have the lighting sorted out and working fine; my disablements and shattered left shoulder of two years past, ( around 12 places as such so they tell me :cry: ), also give very bad range of usage so, not able to reach up as high or move as to many movements as i did before, never mind tho`..;-)
       Due to my problems the baseboards and lighting have taken a little more time than i had envisaged, still, now all that is needed is to cover the joins in the tops and as i say, coat it with brown emulsion pain as per!!, after which i do promise to take and post some pictures of the build to present state and then you will all get a good idea of the layout proper, track plane still under revision, in shore, not much point in thinking about that side till the build got to this finish stage so, im thinking DERrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ::roll::shock::???:;-)…..
                                              So till later people, my best regards and thanks…………………..Tom……………. :);-):cool:

PS….Needing a new chair for my model room, i was very happy to see some person dumped a used!!!, comfy computer chair in our skip, so a little renovation to said chair and, thank you very much, one nice comfy chair for yours truly….;-):lol:…..

Cheers………..Tom….

Last edit: by mckinnell

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
All great fun Tom.

Looking forward to the photo's and an idea of the track plan. Keep bashing on.

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
 Hi ALL,       Well firstly, sorry for the horrible yellow look, my Fujifilm finepix camera seems not to like the garage lighting       , and, my PSP is unable to rectify the end result, still onwards and up wards, advice on this matter gladly accepted  ; please also note the important Radio and Clock  , still, i hope this will give a good idea of the area and state of play as of today, also having problems in Rugby town of getting some small tin of a dark brown emulsion paint, most seem to be rather large and i am NOT paying £12 odds for a paint just for this  ….        I hope as stated, that, you all are happy with this picture set of the forth coming build and i shall upload as and when things get going properly, or, anything of merit that is, many thanks and best regards to every one…………                                                                                                         Tom……………..     

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Hi Tom,would test pots be the right size for you?.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Tom,

Good work on the baseboards. The yellow tinge is your fluorescent lighting. Look on your camera settings and see what they are at. I suspect it may be set at incandescent. There will be another option for you on the menu, it may actually say fluorescent. Change the settings and try again.

Looking good anyway.

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
A great start, Tom.  Like Toto says, check your settings.

It looks kinda curry flavoured.  Curry is good.  :lol:
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.