Planetary Conjunction

Posted
Rating:
#199832 (In Topic #11082)

Venus and Jupiter

A quick photo showing how close Venus and Jupiter are tonight in the WNW! (UK only!)
On Tuesday (30/6/15) they will look like one planet they are so close together, this is quite a rare event!

Cheers
Ron

Proper Preparation makes for Perfect Performance!!

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=13331&forum_id=21
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron,
I noticed that happening in Melbourne a few nights while I was out looking to see if I could see the Aurora
(http://www.news.com.au/national/solar-flare-brings-fiery-night-sky-to-much-of-southern-australia/story-fncynjr2-1227410831152)
I knew Venus but did not realise it was Jupiter in line… thanks for the photo!
Trevor

Posted
Rating:
Had a quick look outside but clouds have rolled in again.

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Getting closer, just seen them through a gap in the clouds! Hope it's clear for the big night tomorrow!!

Cheers
Ron

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron,

Looking absolutely fantastic tonight and I'll be having my tripod and camera ready for tomorrow.

Thank you for the heads up on this one,

Bill :)

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Good luck Bill, hope it stays clear for you! Post any photo's you get if you can?

Cheers
Ron

Posted
Rating:
So tonight, 9.35pm to 11pm look to the West (WNW) Venus will appear slighty odd shaped due to Jupiter being less than 3.5' away! After the weekend Venus dips into the evening sunset (as does Jupiter) but Saturn can be seen in the South for another month at least!
Any photo's would be good?!!

Cheers
Ron

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron,

Just back from our French lesson and am off in hunt of the tripod now. Hmm, I remember seeing it only a few weeks ago and thinking that I'll not be needing that for a long time yet!

WNW it was and a grand view of them both last night, with a colourful after effect from the sunset all along the western horizon. Fingers crossed for later.

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron,

Some early cloud at sunset cleared on cue and the following was the best of the bunch.

Hope you had a good view from the UK,

Posted
Rating:
Yes Bill, good views! A clear sky and a late Moon rising.
Had a go at photographing it:

I'm sure there are better ones about!!

Cheers
Ron

Posted
Rating:
The clear sky here and a bright moon gave very clear shadows and the gardens looked quite mystical.

All the best,

Posted
Rating:
Same thing down here Bill - clear sky and big moon.    At around 10pm local time, other than the moon, they were the only things visible in the sky.  Lovely sunset earlier. :thumbs

I did try to take a few photos but only hand held and without a big telephoto - absolutely nothing exciting as a result ………….:cry::cry::cry:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Yes, the evenings and nights are rather lovely at the moment Peter and so warm as well . . . I was just in a pair of shorts at 23h00 last night! You'll need a tripod for a long exposure, but a telephoto lens is not necessary provided you shoot in higher resolution, as you can crop afterwards. I just open the photo in 'paint' to crop and resize. The photo above was an 18 second exposure, hence the need for the tripod.

Hot again today as the canicule progresses and the pool is getting plenty of use!

Enjoy the day,

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
good photo`s there thanks,tried here but a long sunset and local light polution meant not even a star to be seen
:thumbs;-):cool:

my webcam link 6.19.184.67:8080

Posted
Rating:
had a good view of the two planets earlier this evening.

Dave
Notmutley
British OO outline, DCC - NCE PowerPro, Sound chips, Computer Control- RR&Co software

Posted
Rating:
A view from the southern hemisphere

Venus, Jupiter, its moons  - Ganymede is the moon above Jupiter (approximately 1o'clock position).
Callisto is closest to Jupiter, below (approximately 7 o'clock position) with Io a little futher below

ISO 800, 1 second exposure.
70-200mm lens @ 200mm with 1.4x teleconverter, f/5.

Dave
Notmutley
British OO outline, DCC - NCE PowerPro, Sound chips, Computer Control- RR&Co software

Posted
Rating:
That's a fantastic shot Dave. :pathead:thumbs:thumbs:thumbs  Having said that, I'm blowed if I can spot Io on the photo. :???:  Is there another moon in the 2 O'clock position and about the same distance out from Jupiter that Venus is …………..?  There's certainly something there. :roll:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Good photo Dave, not an easy subject! :):)

Cheers
Ron

Posted
Rating:
Wow, a great image capture Dave and interesting seeing it from that different perspective, as things go down the plughole the wrong way!

Thank you,

Posted
Rating:
Amazing shots guys!

- Darius
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.