Whte Metal Models

Posted
Rating:
Hi David,

Molten white metal on the kitchen stove - goforit! Just don't use the kitchen pans, bismuth is not that toxic, lead is. Mind you, I'd get a pair of heat-proof gloves before starting. And a temperature controlled pot. Or a decent and stable camping gas stove and do it in the back yard shed. And only while the domestic authorities are out of the house. I've always wondered why war-gamers are stranger than railway modelers…………

On a serious note, you need to have a partner when doing this, accidents with 220°C molten metal are not to be taken lightly, the same applies to the fumes being generated - molten lead/bisbuth have appreciable vapor pressures. You will need a positive air change system and a decent mask. I don't know about the UK, my civic authority in Canada gave me a categorical no!

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I suspect the same would go for UK Nigel - a definite No !!!

Having said that, the authorities say you mustn't drive at more than 70 mph on the motorway.  That doesn't actually stop you doing so - you just have to face the consequences if you're caught ……………….:roll::roll::roll:

A very, very good point about accidents with molten metal - very nasty stuff, whichever metal it is ……………..;-)

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Just caught up with this thread

In the past I have used a standard 25W soldering iron (either antex or weller)  with 1mm copper wire wrapped around the tip and extending approx 1" beyond the tip. This worked well on white metal wagons.

Paul

Posted
Rating:
Hi David
Built in 1969 using epoxy, Fell 18 inches (well it IS pre decimalisation) nose first onto a wooden shelf in 2014 and still runs.

Regards

Jim

Because, except in some unfortunate circumstances, trains did not run on town centre streets

Posted
Rating:
mixed experiences, my oldest model is now nearly fifty a Finecast N7 on its fifth chassis.  Originally put together with old fashioned Araldite it has been transported dropped drilled scrubbed repainted and still OK (that's the old 24 hour type).

most recently I have used superglue gel with fillets of five minute epoxy as reinforcement, I'm waiting for that one to fall apart.

I have  tried soldering but melted the bit I was fitting I"m not very brave so may not try again!

Good luck

Robberdoc

Last edit: by robberdoc

Posted
Rating:
Hi Robberdoc
You said
that's the old 24 hour type,
Ahhh the good old days :mutley :mutley :mutley Mind you, when I used it it was the latest thing :shock:.
As far as soldering goes I seem to have a total block. I can gas weld, stick weld, mig/tig weld, braze and leadburn.
Solder electrical components? :Red Card :Red Card :Red Card :Red Card
Don't ask, it frustrates the "wotsit" out of me but I keep trying, and as I always say"Practice makes scrap".

Regards
Jim

Last edit: by The Bankie

Because, except in some unfortunate circumstances, trains did not run on town centre streets
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.